Locomobile 4 Cylinder Gathering Place

alsfarms

• 1 month later...

Here is a question for those among us that live in the north east area if the US and have an interest  in early Locomobile racing efforts, not only with factory built race cars but mainly owners who modified stock Locomobiles into racing configurations.  I am very interested to hear, learn and see pictures of such events, Locomobiles as well as learn names of those that used Locomobile products for competition.  If you are an autombile historian at heart, please contribute here.

Al

Good morning Ed, I am a member of Howard's Web page and follow it weekly.  He does a good job.  Others here should join and follow the good web page put together by Howard and you get to see some great footage of the Alco "Black Beast".  I would like to learn more about the next layer of early automobile competition such as hill climbs, road races, county fair races and etc.  Interesting information is out there that we, that like brass era automobiles and racing, can enjoy.  Ed, would your post a link to Howard's Vanderbilt Cup web page for others to follow and join?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

What is the latest on the unrestored 1909 Locomobile Model L Touring car currently offered for sale by Dick Shappy in RI?  The automobile appears to be mostly original, up on nonskid tires that hold air and looks like new front fenders.  It would be nice to learn more about this Locomobile.  I hope it finds a good home.  I wish my 1909 was that intact, but soon will be.

Al

would like to take this moment to wish all those who read and participate on the Locomobile forums a Merry Christmas, fun Holidays and the best the New Year has to offer. Thanks for your contributions whether simply as a reader or a contributor. Long live Locomobile!

Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Al,

I wish there was a way to get that kind of detail in the castings you are about to reproduce. It would add considerable to the cost to have a pattern digitally reproduced from this picture, a lot more than simply using your piece as a pattern, but it would  make the piece so much more desirable. Have you got a price point set for these yet? I don't have a Locomobile and don't expect that to change but I'd be interested in one of these just to set on a shelf.

That being said, I have a friend with a printer. I could send the picture you posted to him and he could print a copy you could take to a foundry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the earliest Locomobile gasoline powered Locomobile in existence?  Years ago I had heard that the Magee brothers had the earliest gasoline powered Locomobile.  Does anyone have information that can substantiate or refudiate what I had heard?  Have of the Magee Locomobiles been relocated to new owners?

Regards,

Alan

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)

hmmmm....I had not known about the early Locomobile shown and sold at auction.  Unless I am mistaken, I had seen years ago an earlier gasoline powered Locomobile than this one.  Does anyone else have other information or even who may own the 1904 Locomobile shown in the above link.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I have just learned of another 4 cylinder Model L Locomobile speedster that has changed hands.  When I get permission, I will post additional information and pictures here.  It looks to be a 1910 and complete enough to justify body improvements or to simply use as is.  I don't think this Locomobile has been out for years.  Watch for more exciting information.
Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

Al………..me and a few of my Loco friends were sticking our nose in it, since it was close. It’s a cool car…..but definitely a roll of the dice. Cars in useable condition parked for long time…….especially an early speedster, we’re parked for a reason. If it’s not needing any major engine work he did ok. If the motor is worn out, cracked, or has crank/rod/piston/cam issues…….then the deal was much less attractive. Hopefully the new owner got lucky. Time will tell. I have photos, but will respectfully hold them back till the new owner gets to show his new pride and joy.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Ed and Others,  I thought this talk of a hidden Locomobile Speedster, coming out of hiding, and changing hands would wake you up out of a nap.... 🙂  .  I am hoping that the new owner will let me post a few pictures he has shared with me shortly.  This speedster does appear to be built on a mostly complete and original 1910 Locmobile Model L running gear.  I would need to get up close to verify some of the nuances of the earlier Locomobiles but the pictures are promising.  A second thought is that this unit could have been based on a Toy Tonneau body style as the cowling and position of the front seat does look similar to my 1909.  The seat is different as are the fenders.  I suspect the fenders are something else.  Watch for new information on this Locomobile.

Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Al………..me and a few of my Loco friends were sticking our nose in it, since it was close. It’s a cool car…..but definitely a roll of the dice. Cars in useable condition parked for long time…….especially an early speedster, we’re parked for a reason. If it’s not needing any major engine work he did ok. If the motor is worn out, cracked, or has crank/rod/piston/cam issues…….then the deal was much less attractive. Hopefully the new owner got lucky. Time will tell. I have photos, but will respectfully hold them back till the new owner gets to show his new pride and joy.

For sure they didn’t park it because the car was running so good that day they couldn’t stand it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I obtained permission from the new owner of this 1910 Locomobile Speedster.  I hope he will drop in and introduce himself and share more about this Locomobile as he learns it and proceeds to get it back in roadworthy condition.  I suspect that it has been idle for more that a few years maybe even a decade or two.  I will post one picture at a time of this fine antique Locomobile.  This one will be a fun project for the new owner who is most happy.

Al

69218.jpeg.50a3a2d9f70dc5456dcdc62e5609cac8.jpeg

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)