1927 Dome Light Removal

Crazyfamily

Ok so I’ve asked before and i STILL can’t get the dome light bezel to budge on the car!  I’ve been told you push up on the bezel and rotate counter clockwise, I’ve tried clockwise and counter clockwise and it won’t budge!

is there a trick without damaging the bezel?

any advice?

Well, the way I typically solve problems like this is to gradually increase the amount of force I use and the size of the prying device until the thing I'm working on is completely ruined and I've damaged the headliner around it as well. Then I go home and yell at my neighbor, Ron, to stop blowing his con-founded leaves into my yard.

But I'm sure there are more useful techniques. Hopefully someone will chime in with those.

/sorry, I'm feeling weird today

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Well, the way I typically solve problems like this is to gradually increase the amount of force I use and the size of the prying device until the thing I'm working on is completely ruined and I've damaged the headliner around it as well. Then I go home and yell at my neighbor, Ron, to stop blowing his con-founded leaves into my yard.

But I'm sure there are more useful techniques. Hopefully someone will chime in with those.

/sorry, I'm feeling weird today

I think you and id get along just fine Sir!  I have a shirt that says “F@ck the wrench, give me the hammer!” 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could you post a photo of the light so we could see just what you are working with?  I had a 1928 Willys-Knight Coach that the dome light lens was held into the lamp housing with a round snap ring.  One would use a small screwdriver to lift one end out to remove the glass lens to replace the light bulb.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Could you post a photo of the light so we could see just what you are working with?  I had a 1928 Willys-Knight Coach that the dome light lens was held into the lamp housing with a round snap ring.  One would use a small screwdriver to lift one end out to remove the glass lens to replace the light bulb.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Disregard the “play” button this isn’t a video, but here is a pic I found of my dome light.  I’m working on lining the gas tank and I’m not at the car but maybe this would help??

0B3495A7-68C1-4CFF-9CC5-A30D1F633182.png

I had the exact same problem several months ago with my 1928 Standard.  I was finally able to get mine loose by pressing up on it and rotating it clockwise and counter clockwise numerous times and after much cursing and swearing it finally came loose.  I not sure which helped more the back and forth movement , the upward pressure or the cursing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, michealbernal said:

I had the exact same problem several months ago with my 1928 Standard.  I was finally able to get mine loose by pressing up on it and rotating it clockwise and counter clockwise numerous times and after much cursing and swearing it finally came loose.  I not sure which helped more the back and forth movement , the upward pressure or the cursing. 

Thats prob the issue, I haven’t been cussing enough!!!!!  I knew I was missing something 😂😂😂😂😂😂

ill give the back and forth a try, I’ve been pushing up hard as shite but I’ll try back and forth as quickly as I can, it’s kinda hard to hold onto the smal bezel!!!

Edited by Crazyfamily (see edit history)

5 hours ago, McCargar said:

I had trouble getting mine off but I took a thin pallet knife against one of the tabs that hold it on and gently tapped it with a small hammer. I then came of with out any trouble.

dome light.jpg

Perfect!!!  That points me in the right direction, I’ll be at the car tomorrow and I’ll report how it goes!!

tbanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...

I STILL have not been able to get the dome light out of the headliner!  Sometimes you just gotta walk away and forget about it for a hour or 100 hours or so!!

ill try again this weekend, my goal this weekend is to remove the dome light to replace the bulb (🤞🏼 It is just the bulb!!!!) without damaging it, the headliner, or anything else!  And I also do my best to remove the headlight/ignition switches out of the dash!!

Wish me luck!!

william

crazyfamily 

Great news, I’m learning it’s best to walk away and come back to something that’s driving me crazy!

so back down to the car and dome light cover came right off first try!

bulb looks to be ok, does the dash light have to be on for the dome light switch to work?  I don’t have the battery here at the car at this time but last time I tried some light it wouldn’t come on when I tried the switch, so not sure if it’s the switch, bulb again looks to be ok, or do the dash lights have to be on for the dome light to work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Atkinson said:

Check your ground. The ground wire runs down with the power wire and grounds to the frame just in front of the front seat on the passenger side at a body mount. That was the problem with my 1926 sedan dome light.

Thanks for the heads up, I pulled the front seat bottom out yesterday to allow easier access to the headlight lever switch I had to forcefully remove from the dash.... meaning tap out from the backside of the switch!

i saw the ground wire and it looked solid, even though I didn’t know what it was for at the time, aside from being a ground.

ill get a new bulb anyway as that’s the easiest first step.....

will report back back on it and thanks again!

While you have the dome light apart, use a battery (any battery - even a flashlight battery), and run current to the source - then check at the switch, and most importantly, check the contacts at the dome light socket to ensure current is getting to the socket, and/or that is also making a good ground.

• Like 1

Sounds good Marty, I’ll be back down to the car on Sunday 🤞🏼 With a list of things to check on the list towards starting this thing for the first time!

the dome light is one of things in the list, thanks for heads up on things to check.  I’ll check continuity on each leg as well.

"Pardon my redundancy," as my idol W.C. Fields was wont to remark, but please pay close attention to Bob Atkinson's UNNUMBERED (damn you, software modifications!) comment above to pay attention to the interior light GROUND.  Wooden-framed cars can't use a body ground as all-steel body cars can, so they use a double-contact switch, one of whose contacts is the current supply and the other is GROUND leading to the car's frame (whereas all-steel bodies usually only require a single contact switch because the body provides the ground).

In my many years of dealing with wood-framed and 6V cars, my best electrical troubleshooting tool is a 10 foot length of #10 or #12 wire with alligator clips, used to provide a direct-path ground to the frame.  So please run a lead from the switch body directly to the car frame.  Switch contacts may benefit from some cleaning, but you need to assure that the ground is freshened and is being completed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grimy said:

"Pardon my redundancy," as my idol W.C. Fields was wont to remark, but please pay close attention to Bob Atkinson's UNNUMBERED (damn you, software modifications!) comment above to pay attention to the interior light GROUND.  Wooden-framed cars can't use a body ground as all-steel body cars can, so they use a double-contact switch, one of whose contacts is the current supply and the other is GROUND leading to the car's frame (whereas all-steel bodies usually only require a single contact switch because the body provides the ground).

In my many years of dealing with wood-framed and 6V cars, my best electrical troubleshooting tool is a 10 foot length of #10 or #12 wire with alligator clips, used to provide a direct-path ground to the frame.  So please run a lead from the switch body directly to the car frame.  Switch contacts may benefit from some cleaning, but you need to assure that the ground is freshened and is being completed.

Grea advice Sir, I will keep you all posted on Sunday when I am back down to the car!  I’m excited by the littlest things like seeing the dome light on!!!

4 hours ago, Crazyfamily said:

I’m excited by the littlest things like seeing the dome light on!!!

Believe me, it IS exciting when it happens! 

The touring car version, of the dome light (courtesy light, passenger /curb side only) 

291126948_06151624buickcourtesylightfinished(10).thumb.JPG.1f319673daf6718a16c01d0bb0f72346.JPG

1540146321_06151624buickcourtesylightfinished(1).thumb.JPG.f9ac0af81745b1932d99e5823f569ea1.JPG

1012223963_06151624buickcourtesylightfinished(2).thumb.JPG.409e1601f53d3fb145c03a009c0d82de.JPG

• Like 1

I find myself at times thinking “Am I ever going to get this thing running!” But what I need to remember is to stop, take a breath, and just enjoy the process!

ive never owned a classic car like this, I’ve been in the car business for nearly 20 years and I’ve owned just about everything else but a classic!

Ive actually shouted “Yes Yes Yes!” When I’ve gotten things off like the carb or heat riser and now the dome light cover!!

My 🤞🏼 That when I start putting these things back together it goes smoothly and quickly, my goal is to have this car running and driving by this time next month!

i guess my debit card is going to get some action today, I have a list of things to order!

wish me luck!!

• Like 2