Original accessories

hencal

hi,

i am new in this group having just bou<ght a really nice 63 Riviera on ebay.

the car is well eqipped with accessories.

is there any way to know how my car was eqpped originall. i mean color,  hubcaps, auto dip headlights etc

0B7B1AA6-1F49-4705-9F9E-0558B07A1223.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your Riviera. Go to the ROA website. On the left side tabs click on the Evolution and Stats then on the drop down menu click 1963-1965 Fisher Body Plate Codes. Here you can decode your data plate based on the options that required Fisher Body to make some sort of preparation for the option. For example items such as wheels or wheel covers are not identified on the tag because it had nothing to do with the body build whereas things like air conditioning and power seats did.

Only the original window sticker could tell you every option/accessory on the car when it was delivered. Certain accessories were only available as dealer installed.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Welcome to the group and congrats on your purchase. Consider joining the Riviera Owners Association to get access to a great magazine and lots of members only information on the website: rivowners.org. You can also join the ROA by following the Paypal link in the site. Be sure to share some pictures of your new car once you get it. I am assuming you are in Europe?

Welcome, Henrik!

I am the ROA's '63 Riviera Technical Advisor.  Feel free to reach out to me with questions by email at 63Rivvy (at) gmail (dot) com

I also maintain a database of all of the '63 data plates on the firewall, above the power brake booster.  If you put a picture of that plate here, I will decode it for you and also add it to my database. There were 40,000 vehicles made for the '63 model year; I only have about 240 in my database, so I need more!

If you don't mind having the information in the public, i suggest adding your location (city, country) to your forum profile.  You will be surprised to learn that other Riviera owners might be near you!

All the best.

Henrik,

Welcome to the ROA Riviera forum.  Congratulations on the acquisition of your 1963 Riviera.  I'm going to add some things that might help you sort out what you would consider an option on your Riviera by telling you a bunch of things that were standard equipment on the Riviera that were options on lesser models.   As Jason said previously, the data plate will only tell you what options and provisions for options your car had when it left the Fisher Body plant.  This list is what was standard

Clock

Bucket Seats w/ console and floor shift

High performance engine - V8, four barrel carburetor, and dual exhausts

Power steering

Power brakes

Windshield washer

Two-speed wipers 

and some littler things like glare proof mirror, full wheel covers, trunk light, back up lights, parking brake signal light.

Options that you can look for would include

What kind of radio - Sonomatic AM, Sonomatic AM wtih power antenna, Wonder Bar (signal seeking), or Wonder Bar with power antenna. D on the data plate

Cruise control

Cornering lights

Tinted glass will be on your data plate - either windshield only or all windows

Power seat - J2 on your data plate - next to the trim number

Wire spoked wheel covers or cast aluminum wheel covers

Tilt steering wheel

Air conditioning - N2 on the data plate

Four note horns

Remote mirror - S7 on the data plate

Tire selection - 6.70 x 15 black wall, 6.70 x 15, white sidewall, 7.60 x 15 black wall, 7.60 x 15 white side wall.  6.70 tires came on 5-1/2" rims. 7.60 tires came on 6" rims

Power Windows - U7

Power vent windows - U6  If both are equipped, your data plate will read U8

Guidematic - automatic headlight dimmer X1

Twilight sentinel - headlights on at dusk X2  - my data plate has just an X and my car has both. ???

Remote Trunk release - Z4

Interior choices - vinyl, cloth and vinyl, or leather - the TRIM code on your data plate will tell you which

Positive traction rear end

Most 1963 Rivieras came with a 401 cubic inch engine - "Riviera Wildcat 445" on the air cleaner

Some came with a 425 cubic inch engie "RIviera Wildcat 465" on the air cleaner  (not proof, they're interchangeable)  Proof is stamped (not cast) into the engine block JT=401, JW=425

more on that as you get into your car.

Here are pictures of the data plate and window sticker from my '63.  You'll see that not everything on the sticker is on the plate

1047019226_Fisherbodyplate-Eds63Riviera020.thumb.jpg.8267e01489e9540ea06338ccb3a82295.jpg

2028079679_1963Rivierawindowsticker0003.thumb.JPG.af20c7856f0a0fc2d6ac62f446cc6290.JPG

I'm sure there are others that I can't think of right now.  Someone out there will add to what I've missed

If you're really curious and have the time, look at this list of options for regular models for 1963.  You'll want to look at the 6th column from the right - model 4747 - and follow it down.  X = optional, STD = standard equipment.  If the box is blank, it wasn't available on the Riviera.

https://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=63_options_regular

Good luck and let us know what you find.  Be sure to get the data on your car to Jim.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi, here is my plate on the 63.

i am still not quite sue how much can be detected from this plate. Does it show whether the automatic dip of main beams is original. On top of the dash is fitted a thing looking like a bullet or a torpedo that does not look original to me....

0C420A17-1DF5-4837-B97D-655B0A192417.jpeg

D094E57D-F6D4-43C7-837D-88BFDFCCABE4.jpeg

Even though your data plate does not have the X on it for the Guidematic or the Twilight Sentinel (in the picture, your car appears to have both) these were available as dealer installed options.  Because of the angel and the lighting it's hard to tell what is reflecting light on the console.  Something round and appears lighted.  Can you post a better picture of it.  Also because of the lighting and the angle of the steering wheel, I can't tell if the car has a tilt wheel.  If you could, take a bunch of close up picture of the instrument cluster, the radio, and the HVAC control panel.  I think I see the cruise control switch in the upper left corner of the dash.  You might want to examine the turn signal housings and see if there's a big bulb in the very lower section of the lens.  If there is, it would indicate that your car has cornering lights.  

The large white bulb in the fluted section of this housing is a cornering light.

Image result for cornering lights 1963 Riviera

Here's a photo of Frank and Dean in Frank's Riviera.  The Guidematic is prominently displayed in this picture.

jk-1-212.png?w=584

Here's a picture of a brochure that shows options that could be installed at the dealership.  In the bottom right corner are the Guidematic, and the Twilight sentinel.  

Image result for 1963 buick riviera twilight sentinel

• Like 1

Henrik-

You have an amazing car! 

I can walk you through the data plate:

The upper left corner, 11B means the body was built during the second week (B) of November 1962.  My car was made the week before.

The FB number FB 7632, is the sequence number for this body, 7,632 out of 40,000 made. 

The TRIM 798J2 means Saddle Leather with a power drivers seat and the deluxe trim with walnut veneer and the long arm rest with the second door opener handle on the end..

The PAINT code SS means it left the factory painted with Bronze Mist -- pretty rare, only 3,077 painted this color out of the 40,000.

Then the accessory line ACC means:

D = radio (exact model radio not specified)

I6 = tinted glass all around

N2 = air conditioning

SU7 is a combined code: S7 is for the outside mirror on the driver's door; U7 is for power windows but not power vents.

Z4 = remote trunk release

Other options don't need to appear on this plate, only the ones that Fisher Body needed to know about when they built the body.

Your early car has the "smooth dash".  Later cars have a "ribbed dash" veneer.

thank you guys for all the info. I am impressed with all this help.

It seems that my car has almost any option available, even if some of them don't appear on the chassis plate : guidematic, sentinel, cruise control, power seat. Unfortunately not the mag wheel trims with spinners that look so grat on this model. Just bought a set of trims to fit .....

• Thanks 1

Very well equipped indeed.  I looked at your console again and noticed the middle switch between the wiper and light switches.  That's  the switch for the rear window defogger.  I think it's kind of weird that so many of these accessories do not show up on your data plate. From what I think I see is also a Wonderbar ( signal seeking ) radio with power antenna.  And that sure looks like a tachometer mounted in the console.  Extreme WOW factor if it is.  Look on the floor board for a button - similar to a dimmer switch  - under the brake pedal.  That would be the foot control for the signal seeking radio.  The long bar on the radio is the hand control.  Push on the left side and the radio will seek to the left. Opposite for the right side. The smaller bar on the radio increases and decreases sensitivity - how far away the signal is that the radio will pull in.  Lookin' better all the time.

Ed

Well, it certainly is the tachometer between the seats. I had no idea about the functions of the wonderbar radio , or even that this was a wonderer radio for that matter.  on the other hand I shall have to get modern sound into my car somehow....

PLEASE  don't destroy the integrity of that original dash.  Do something remote like the installation of a redi-rad.

https://redirad.com. Find Matt's video on YouTube for a demo.

Your 63 has only a rear seat speaker.  When I get home later this afternoon, I'll post pictures of concealed aftermarket radios.

Your car is much too nice to be altering it's original looks.

One can see the Wonderbar switch on the floor.  And although the data plate shows power windows, I don't see a crank for the vent (isn't that the toggle for a remote mirror?).  With leather, AC, cruise, Guidematic, Twilight Sentinel, and tach, this car is loaded.  Good catch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hencal said:

Well, it certainly is the tachometer between the seats. I had no idea about the functions of the wonderbar radio , or even that this was a wonderer radio for that matter.  on the other hand I shall have to get modern sound into my car somehow....

Sir, your stock radio can be reconditioned to have better treble and bass response and ability to play mp3 through the radio. Additionally, you can upgrade your existing 6x9 speaker with 3” magnet and the correct number of Ohms for your car. I have elected not to punch holes in my 63 for a modern audio system. The upgrade of my existing radio and speaker is just fine for my taste.

You have a very neat automobile.

Turbinator

If your radio is working or not let me add a chip to give you fm and aux. It will enhance the audio without altering or modifying the radio.

If the radio is not working we'll get it working and then add the chip.

Contact me for more information or see my website. www.billtheradioguy.com  bill@billtheradioguy.com

Bill N

Edited by radioguybill
left letters out (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another newby. thanks in advance for your knowledge and wisdom. lol. and apologize for the long first post.

About me,  although Im a quick study and can usually figure out mechanics and such, I am by far NO experienced mechanic.

A few months back I bought a 64 riv, as a project for my 12 yo daughter and I. Big mistake. I didn't inspect properly and acted impulsively. It has a 425, runs, seats are in really great shape. The car and all chrome has been shake can painted flat black, (WHY!). The rest of the car is pretty much consists of rust and rot. best way to advertise to get it off my driveway, looking for $3000 OR b.o.

NOW, I wised up and bought another. This is a '63, pictured. I will have so many questions as this awesome daddy daughter project goes on. those with experience, where to start? i want to keep as stock as possible without being a complete fanatic, (not that thats a bad thing.) purists are impressive to me and they are the ones with the most knowledge, so big respect. 

It runs beautiful, well cared for by the previous owner, but never really restored, just lovingly, and I mean lovingly, he teared up when I was about to drive away cared for. 

a few of  many questions to come for the '63. 

wonder bar, how does it work?

is there a way to get the original sticker info to id options that may not be on the data plate? 

First thing I should do. I was going to start with radio, mainly because I've it before. 

thanks again. 

i translated the data plate but the are a few things on there that im not sure about, IE: 717-J2. 717 is blue, but J2?

data plate 63.jpg

63 riv passenger side. .jpeg

63 riv dash board drivers side.jpeg

63 421 riv.jpeg

data plate translate.jpg

J2 is the code for a power seat

FB 1513 means this is the 1,513th Riv to be built for the 1963 model year

9C is the build date - C=third week of 9=September 1962.

I6 (not  16) is tinted glass

S7 is for remote mirror

S8 (same S group) is for door edge guards

Z4 is the remote trunk

Even though it was a Fisher Body option and it doesn't show up on your data plate, your car is equipped with a rear window defroster.  Center switch on the console between the light switch and the wiper switch.  Code K4

Your car from what I can see also has the Guidematic auto headlight dimmer.  On a window sticker it would be coded X1

D doesn't mean your car has a Wonderbar radio, it just means the body came from Fisher Body ready for a radio to be installed.  It appears from the picture that you do have a Wonderbar radio though.  The bar at the top of the push buttons, when pushed, will search for the next station in your area.  Push on the left, the radio seeks to the left; push to the right, it searches to the right.  the slide bar is for sensitivity.  It determines range and how powerful of a signal will be received.  There's also a button on the floor under the brake pedal, that when pushed, will seek the next station to the right.  

The Guidematic will raise and lower your high beams.  If for some reason you want to override the function, depressing the foot switch y in the upper left corner of the driver's side floor board half way down will do that.

You'll have to look for other things that might be on your car.  Those other options could include - cruise control, cornering lights, four note horns.  As you get familiar with the car, these will become more obvious.

Early Rivieras (built before Christmas 1962) such as yours will have a smooth dash board, spare tire mounted on the trunk floor,  a 120 mph speedometer rather than a 140 mph one, and a couple of other differences than those that were built later.

No a/c probably means that your car was built for a northern state, or at least that seems to be what's normal. More probable because of the rear window defogger.

Jim Cannon has a registry of 1963 Buicks.  You've posted a photo of your data plate but he may be in touch for other info.

Good luck to you and your daughter on getting this car to the point you'll really enjoy it.  I think you'll really like the Dynaflow transmission.  From Zero to top speed with no apparent shifting of gears.  As Jim says. "Love that Dynaflow hum."

Post more pictures and ask more questions.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Very cool car!

This is a very early car. 

It probably has heater and vent control knobs up under the dashpad that have very fine vertical ribs on the front face.  Please confirm that.

It also probably does not have a dimple on the big vacuum reservoir can on the inner fender on the drivers side.  That came later.

Because it looks like you have options that are not showing up on the data plate, I'd guess that someone has added options to the car in the past, to make it fancier.  Not all options show up on the data plate, only the ones that Fisher Body needed to know about when building the body.  Others were added on the assembly line, based on the paper build sheet.

This appears to be a fairly original car. Not "restored" yet by anyone, not messed up yet by others that don't know what they're doing.  You are lucky there. How many miles does it show on the odometer?

Please start checking out things that are safety related, like brakes.  Check for worn ball joints, really old tires (that can blow without notice). We don't want you guys to be out having fun in your new ride and have an accident.

Ask all the questions you want!