New Purchase 1981 Chrysler Imperial

MarkV

So I just picked up my Imperial! It’s raining cats and dogs here in ca and the guy thought I wouldn’t show up. But I did and we negotiated and I got it for under $2k. It runs great. It was low in the front but it turns out it’s the tortion bar, I am also having the wheel cylinders replaced. It is smogged and registered and I already had it transferred. 

It it has a rebuilt transmission, lots of new parts, factory converted carb. 

It needs the ac fixed and the power windows and a new set of tires. I am also in need of the rocker molding on the passenger side. The original paint is in good shape and interior is too. 

4E5E6A81-28BB-4138-9AA2-096EBA6391AB.jpeg

4CE268BF-A952-4B56-AF14-BFF456EC1B5C.jpeg

DCD4ADD1-CA35-40A7-ABA7-E10F1F95A5C1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I totally enjoy your enthusiasm over getting this car!   That’s what it’s all about.  An investment in stocks or bonds may make you more money in the long run but no one ever bothers to post pictures of them on forums or get as excited about them like this.  Looking forward to your updates on the car.

• Like 1

Well I’m glad it’s in fairly good shape and running a registered. I am also happy that it needed wheel cylinders and a tortion bar adjustment and alignment. Apparently the whole front end has been redone. Lots of newer parts under the hood too.

Full story:

“It’s Time for You” 

So for many years I have loved the 1981 to 1983 Imperials. Famously sold by Iacocca and Sinatra and famous for their infamous 10k recall of the fuel injection system and their ticket price in 1981 being more than any other American car. 10 years ago I test drove a Sinatra but sadly I couldn’t sell my mark v fast enough. Most are either junked or very expensive outside what I am willing to pay. 

Flash forward to this year and my wonderful wife asks me what I want for a gift for a few different holidays and I of course said an Imperial. So I set out looking for one and I found that junk one last week that was too far gone then I found this one posted the next day. Which is highly unusual for an imperial as most were junked.

So I corresponded with the owner who told me that his mom was the second owner for the last 19 years. She is 91 and lost her license due to the trim damage in the back (thankfully no paint or body damage). He told me at had all records back to 1981 and that it was a factory carb conversion. So we set up a time yesterday morning to look at it.

It was pouring rain and he was surprised I showed up. I found he car in good shape interior and the paint is shiny and the original but with bad tires and a sagging front. So I took it for a test drive and fell in love. I told him of my love for the Imperials and the fact my grandpa Frimand collected Mopars and that I still have his 1941 Dodge. He told me he did too and that the imperial had a rebuilt transmission and new suspension in front and that his mom loved the car so much but it was time for her not to drive.

So in the rain I made him a very low offer (cheaper than a phone), and what was in our gift budget. I fully expected him to say no but to my surprise he said yes! He said he was glad it was going to someone who appreciated it and that it’s small foibles would be fixed. When we were doing the transaction he almost forgot to take the $ from me which showed me he wasn’t selling it for money.

I called AAA and the tow truck showed up. The poor driver almost got run over by morons trying to scoot past on a small residential street. One tire even went up the ramp of the truck (see photos). I towed it to my old tire and brake place which was empty due to the rain where the gentleman worked on these new. He told me the suspension was all new! He said it just needs a torsion bar adjusted and two wheel cylinders rebuilt. So under $100 later I had the imperial loaded on the tow truck this time my wife called using her AAA membership and had it towed home (because of the rain and the horrible tires which were bald and destroyed due to the torsion bar and bad alignment). 

When I got it home I went through the trunk and found loads of spare parts and the receipts. She saved and wrote on every receipt times and dates. She also took a mature safe driving course. 

The imperial needs the passenger stainless trim replaced below the door and around the wheel well. It also needs the ac fixed and the drivers window. But it drives beautifully and starts on the first try.

Thank you to my beautiful wife for the gift and for understanding me and for helping me live my dreams with this and my Seville 🙂. I look forward to many fun years driving this rare and unique car around! 

• Thanks 1