1963 Riv headliner pattern

TheOldMan

For those of you who replaced the headliner in your '63 Riviera, 

can you help and tell me what material was used or the pattern that came in the car for replacement

purposes, please?  I am going to replace mine as it looks original. This liner is very old and brittle. I touch it and it falls apart.

Here are two pictures of the one in the car now:

top1.thumb.JPG.7b14c89e18bd9a7c83531afc9ebb7344.JPG top2.thumb.JPG.29f654f38b291d84455c40c1a6bd68d8.JPG

Edited by TheOldMan (see edit history)

7 hours ago, TheOldMan said:

For those of you who replaced the headliner in your '63 Riviera, 

can you help and tell me what material was used or the pattern that came in the car for replacement

purposes, please?  I am going to replace mine as it looks original. This liner is very old and brittle. I touch it and it falls apart.

Here are two pictures of the one in the car now:

top1.thumb.JPG.7b14c89e18bd9a7c83531afc9ebb7344.JPG top2.thumb.JPG.29f654f38b291d84455c40c1a6bd68d8.JPG

Your headliner appears to be silver. I replaced the silver headliner on my 1963 a couple of years ago. I got mine from Clark's Corvair. It is in the original pattern and color. It fit and looks great. Original Grain Headliner Is Clark's number R150 and silver is Clark's code RHZ. You can also order new sail panels from them covered in the original material the same as the headliner. My sail panels were in good shape but, had darkened slightly with age. I sprayed them with Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating, HVP103 Vinyl Silver. It is a very good match and easy to use.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I only posted the colors that Acme shows on their color chart.  Don't take this as the only colors offered.  Make Google your friend. 

If you would have looked at Clark's Corvair, and their Riviera products, you'd have seen that Silver is listed as one of their colors. 

If you only depend on the other guy, you're liable not to get the full picture.

When you install the headliner it is recommended to draw a chalk line down the center on the hidden side. It is used as a reference. The Bedford cloth is kind of porous some make the line as light as you can. If you press a little harder than necessary it can take a few years of gentle coaxing to get what comes through completely off, at least on the dark colors.

Bernie

I am planning a color change on mine and I will order new tack strip material along with the liner.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The silver headliner in my 1963 from Clark’s Corvair was installed by the previously owner.

I don’t know how perfectly it matches the original but to me it looks great and I am very happy with it. The headliner was installed in late 2012 and included parts R150 and R153 with color RHZ as per the order information.

It might sound like a comercial but I must say that everything I have ordered from Clark’s Corvair such as new seat buns and bucket seat bottom (leather) have been of excellent quality.

Good luck with your project.

• Like 1

As many of you are not aware or don't know most of the headliners from suppliers are originally white &  then sprayed the color requested.  Reason most color paint matches pretty closely to the actual re-sprayed headliner.

DON'T use any cleaning solvents as it can/will remove the color coat. At most window cleaner.

Just a FYI

• Like 1

I bought my entire upholstery seat covers front and back from Clark’s. The carpet I bought from Clark’s looks good with my upholstery in my 63 Riviera. I bought the window fuzzies and weather stripping from Clark’s and they were fine. I will say without holding back numerous covers came off the buttons. Clark was willing to replace the buttons with no problems. Clark was not willing to reinstall the buttons. Clark gets goods marks with an exception of an F for failure regarding the buttons. Take up for Clark all you want, but the covers still came off their buttons.

Turbinator

My seat covers were installed at the same time as the headliner.  I may be having the same issue with the buttons, as one has come apart.  

How difficult are they to replace?  Will it have to go back to the upholstery guy?