What are these things?

wcbcdi

Hi All

I am a new member and apologize if I'm posting in the wrong spot. A few days ago I purchased some Model A Ford and vintage Dodge items that were in an old wood box.  When I got home I discovered these items in the bottom of the box and have no idea what they are, what they are used for or even if they have anything to do with automobiles. Each measures approximately 9 x 6 inches and do not have a makers stamp. Any help identifying them would be much appreciated.

005.JPG

Joe_P

nice collection of Wagons.  My son looking for Wagon that like the mid 1950's greyhound bus Vista Cruiser, I think that one will the extra set of windows set in the roof line.  Not sure of the year or post a picture.

Found some Muscle  vista cruiser link below. . 

https://autowise.com/strange-but-true-two-of-the-hottest-muscle-cars-were-station-wagons/

Oldsmobile-442-W-30-Vista-Cruiser-Wagon-

Edited by Joe Block (see edit history)

Spinneyhill

The short arm with teeth is imprinted with the number 6, is captive as shown and rests on a spring that puts pressure on the arm. One long arm is imprinted 5L and a D inside a box. The other arm is imprinted14R-L. The other clamp (?) has the same markings except instead of 5L it is imprinted 5R. Hope this helps.

The clamps look similar to the set my father used when he was filing the teeth of horses. The idea was to keep the animal's mouth from closing. His had a metal bar across between them, from memory, but these may have used a pair of short leather straps with holes which clip onto the pegs at the ends of the 'jaws'.

Of course, they could be something entirely different. It's a lot of years since I watched the old man work on a horse's mouth.

So, Xander, you may have been closer to the mark than you realised, with 1900 dentistry.

Edited by Bush Mechanic
clarification (see edit history)

I had a dentist put a ratcheting device in my mouth to hold it open. To do a filling in a wisdom tooth, hard to get at unless the mouth was held very wide open. I heard it ratcheting when she installed it, tighter and tighter as it opened my mouth more. She broke a different tooth while using it, so there was an additional repair needed. So yes to hold a horses mouth open, I could see that being the case.