What were they thinking? --Car Names

Dave@Moon

I think it's time for one of the more frivolous threads that used to be plentiful on this forum. These would usually start with a simple question for discussion, like:

confused.gif [color:\\"red\\"] What was the most poorly chosen name for a car? confused.gif

Extra ponts will be considered for sexual inuendo or doughnut references! smirk.gif

Are we talking names that just absolutely don't fit the car it was given to, or these damn computer-generated inoffensive soothing pabulum names the Asians are so fond of hanging on their cars?

I can think of one that was very aptly named- the Daihatsu Charade, because it is truly a joke of a car.

I've got it- Yugo! because more likely than not, you didn't. laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Remember when GM was surprised when the Nova didn't sell in Spanish speaking countries? No va means doesn't go in Spanish. </div></div>

Al,

Have you tried looking up "Matador" on a Spanish dictionary? I think AMC should've! I'm told in addition to the sporting (If you can call it that) term, it also means "Murderer". blush.gif

Hupmobile always seemed like a strange name to me, but I kinda like it. A peeve of mine is when a manufacturer uses the same name for different cars. In the late 80s you could have an Olds Cutlass Supreme, rear wheel drive. Cutlass Cierra or Cutlass Calais, both front wheel drive, but different bodied cars. Chrysler LeBaron did the same thing. confused.gif

What about the Dodge "Swinger". Did these cars swing backwards and forewards or did they actually go down the road(swinging backwards and forwards)? tongue.gif What a name!

smile.gif Could be the planned Honda Fitta. After the japanese found out just before starting marketing in Scandinavia earlier this year that "fitta" in Norwegian is slang for "pussy". And thats not the CAT...

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

The British car make, in the twenties, by the name of GWYNNES, was never very popular in France at the time ; the name means "lesbian" in rude French slang....

What about poor "Gwynnett" Paltrow ?

We're restoring a 1909 ONLY, so named because it had only 1 cylinder...unfortunately only 14 ONLY cars were built before the company went bankrupt. "You're restoring an Only? Are there any other ONLYs known?" "No, we're restoring the only ONLY". "Parts hard to find?" "Yea...most parts for the Only are Only only"......shades of "Who's on first"

What about the BRICKLIN? At least they didn't call it the BLOCKLIN or the CONCRETELIN! Somehow the name BRICKLIN doesn't conjure up thoughts of a speed demon. laugh.gif

OK, for obscurities sake how about the Grout, Blood, Seven Little Buffaloes, Durkopp, Trojan,Angus Sanderson,Charron-Laycock,Unic,Tamplin et al.............

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DeSoto Frank

How 'bout 'Elcar' -that's Spanish, isn't it?

Then there was the 'Ogren', back in the '20s...

Not to mention the 'Jaeger', which came with a bottle of foul-smelling hooch in the tool kit....

"Rockne", the Notre Dame car...

'Auto Red Bug'- what the heck ????!

'Terraplane' (?) Dad said they used to be nick-named 'Tear-a-parts'

"Geronimo" - not popular with ranchers...

Probably, the winner for "klunkiest name" would have been Hitler's concept of the name for the original VW: the KDF ("Stregnth through Joy")wagen !

Chew on these for a while; I'll see if I can come up with more...

The Hupmobile was named after the car manufacturer's founder... Robert C. Hupp.

Likewise, the Dort was named after the marque's founder...J Dallas Dort.

The Bricklin was named after its creater.....Malcolm Bricklin

Elcar is not a Spanish name. The original Elcar automobile was named after the location of the manufacturer, Elkhart, Indiana. The name of the manufacturer was the Elkhart Carriage and Motor Car Company who made an automobile called the Sterling in the early 1900s. The company eventually changed its name to Elcar and produced an automobile with that name.

During the 1980s, an electric automobile was made that was also named Elcar.. short for Electric Car.

• 1 year later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What was the most poorly chosen name for a car? </div></div>

I found it! No doubt.

I just picked up a copy of David Wise's <span style="font-style: italic">The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the World's Automobiles</span> (1979) on eBay. In it's list of manufacturers there is a French car which was built in 1919 and 1920.

The <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">ASS</span></span>! smirk.gif

Yes it's an acronym. There are periods after each letter in the car's ads but <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> in the car's (prominent) badging. The car's quite small, and greatly resembles an Austin 7. It features an oversized nickel radiator proudly sporting "ASS" badging in oversized nickel script.

It's a thing of beauty to me. smirk.gif

Daer Santa....... biggrinsanta.gif

Guest Skyking

I can just picture myself at a car show and some chick pulls in with one of these cars. At least I can tell her she has a nice A.S.S. without getting slapped.... grin.gifgrin.giftongue.gif