Trouble shoot check list? Turn signal system failure on '65 non-GS

DShoes

Hi All. I was going to jump onto Hans3's August thread "Tilt column & signal lever removal 1st Gen" but thought maybe this should be its own turn signal trouble shooter thread. This is for a '65 non-GS Riviera.

Yesterday all turn signals indicators (interior and exterior) were working normally. Today, everything is dead. Exterior bulbs are nearly new (replaced this summer) in front and back. Is this likely to be the switch malfunctioning or the relay? Or the actuator in the steering column? Naturally, I'm hoping to start with the path of least resistance. If switch, it sounds as though I can start at the connection points under dash when the male/female connection is made exterior to the steering column? Second stop would be to reach up and around a replace the "Heavy Duty Flasher 1496"  relay? (sounds like my last girlfriend's stage name! I kid, I kid) Last option would be to pull the steering wheel and inspect/replace the actuator where the signal arm meets the column? If last option, what steering wheel puller is recommended? Haven't attempted that before and want to get it right with the right tool.

As always, appreciate your guys' great help!

Thanks guys. I rapped on the flasher / relay a bit but no joy. Will try replacing and report back.

Any tips / tricks for replacing it without pulling the whole dash apart? I'm a little concerned about reaching it and getting the new one aligned properly in order to push it in. 

56 minutes ago, bodayguy said:

The flasher is on the fuse box. Two screws to loosen the panel and you have access. I'd say it's there. There is also a switch connection at the base-ish area of the steering column that maybe came loose.

I had the panel off last night but the wiring harness going into it from behind the dash prevented it from coming down to allow access. As such I'm reaching up around for now. Will see if I can change that. Switch connection at the base-ish of the steering column appeared to be working normally and had good cable sheathing. Thanks all.

2 hours ago, DShoes said:

I had the panel off last night but the wiring harness going into it from behind the dash prevented it from coming down to allow access. As such I'm reaching up around for now. Will see if I can change that. Switch connection at the base-ish of the steering column appeared to be working normally and had good cable sheathing. Thanks all.

Push the top of the panel up into the dash and pull the bottom out. This will allow the wiring harness to clear the bottom edge of the opening. As Seafoam states, first be sure the fuse is OK,

Tom

19 hours ago, DShoes said:

"Heavy Duty Flasher 1496"  relay? (sounds like my last girlfriend's stage name! I kid, I kid) 

DShoes, we are gonna need pictures, man, pictures before we diagnose anything here. We need to see what she looks like, with a stage name like that ????????

2 hours ago, DShoes said:

Spoke to the ex (Heavy Duty Flasher pictured) about the problem. She said "Its a blown fuse, you idiot! Now respect the restraining order!."  Low and behold...problem solved! :) 

69f7cdf2f5b82a7abe73e503be25de01.jpg

I figure she could kick start a 747. My eyes, my eyes!!!!!!

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Can the administrators please remove Dshoes picture posting priveledges?? Please?? That`s frickin` sick bro....

Signed,

Half Blind and Finally Liking It

C'mon 1965rivgs. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Besides, rodneybeauchamp asked, I delivered. :) Alright no more pictures. Apologies to any sensitive constitutions that may have been offended.