Who has had a Trans/Shifter Lock Key made?

Crazyfamily

Who has had a key made from the numbers on the top of the cylinder of the Trans/Shifter lock?

We have a newly acquired ‘27 Buick Model 27 “Standard” and found about this way of “locking the car” in what’s left of the mouse eaten reference book that the Widow I purchased car from gave me.

Unfortunatley she has been spending her time with her boyfriend who is sadly in the hospital and they don’t think he will pull through.  She told me previously she didn’t have any keys to the car.

So I’m am curious if anyone has had a key made from these numbers on the cylinder and who would you recommend that I contact to make me a few keys?

Is there a way for me to remove the cylinder without disassembling anything else?

one of my coworkers at our Chevrolet Buick GMC Dealership is a wiz at putting new tumblers and keying cylinders!

DF1DB880-32EB-4737-BFFB-9117C894C597.jpeg

Crazy,

I know it's not a transmission shifter lock, but, how about a Duplex Spare Tire Carrier with a Hurd Lock.  My Dad gave the 1916 Buick that I now have to me in late 1989.  He had found  a very nice Duplex Tire Carrier for the car so that it would have two spares.  I did not get much done with the car until after around 2005.  My Dad passed in 1997 and a lot of information about the car sadly went with him.  When I had the new wheels made and was ready to put the new tires on, I ran up against a gotdammit.  The spare tire carrier was locked and the key was nowhere to be found.  The Acme threaded center post in these carriers is harder than the hubs of hell (a hacksaw just slides off it), so cutting the rod was out of the question.  I talked to a locksmith here in town and he was able to pick the lock and get everything free.  He took the center section back to his shop and started the process of getting new keys cut to the code on the lock.  His books did not go back far enough, so he got in touch with a locksmith friend in Kansas City.  That fellow had the book with the code that enabled two new keys to be cut.  It is called patience and perseverance.  I have learned that there is always somebody out there who can help with problems like this when they arise.  The way that the lock on that carrier ties into the threaded rod to lock things up is really pretty slick.  Early day theft deterrent that really worked - just keep the key handy.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 2

William, 

Please look at the top of the Pre war website under the header "Pre War Links".  Lots of good information there.

Swing the cover open and give the tumbler numbers to Jessers Classic Keys.  He will cut you a new key using an original Yale key blank.  I thought he had a reasonable price.  Once I got my key, I did have to use penetrating oil in the lock, but I have an open car, and yours being closed, you probably will not run into the same issues.  If you need to or want to pull the lock cylinder, there is a set screw in the side of the transmission, but I think you need the key in the slot to remove the tumbler.  Consider a spare key as well.

http://www.jessersclassickeys.com Can cut to your lock cylinder numbers on original blanks

FYI, This is the transmission lock.  It locks the transmission in Neutral.   Always remember to use your parking brake if you lock it in neutral.  I have not played with mine to see if it will lock in a gear. 

Hugh 

Great info gentlemen!  Wow I would have thought it would lock in gear but hey the engineers must have s logical reason if it only locks in neutral!

ill contact Jessers today to start the process of getting a few keys cut for the old girl!

The transmission lock key is the same as the ignition key. There is a code on both locks, and unless one has been changed in the last 90 odd years (not likely), they should be the same.

I was able to get new keys cut for my car quite easily using the codes.

The transmission lock is held in place by a tapered pin, and once the pin is removed the job became quite easy.

The lock works by keeping the gearstick in neutral.

A car can driven off if in gear - any gear.

David.

• Like 1

Not a Buick, but I took the number off the transmission lock on my 1923 Hudson to a local locksmith and he cut me a key while I waited. Less than $5.00. The lock was labeled as a Yale so I had a leg up as to what kind of key it used. Zeke

• Like 1

Terry my ‘27 Model 27 has no ignition key cylinder at all.  There is a switch lever on the dash next to the headlight switch lever so the only security is this keyed cylinder on the trans at the base of the shifter!

thats it unfortunately, there are no outside door locks as well!

8 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Fred,

If there were no ignition keys used on the 1927 models, just how was the ignition system secured?  This is the first time that I have ever heard of that.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Closed cars use the inside door lock button on the drivers side, and the outside locking handle on the passenger side to secure the car. 

4 hours ago, 27donb said:

Closed cars use the inside door lock button on the drivers side, and the outside locking handle on the passenger side to secure the car. 

Wonder what the thought process was w that?  The driver would let the front passenger in and then they would unlock the driver’s door for the driver?

what if the driver was driving alone?  

3 hours ago, Crazyfamily said:

Wonder what the thought process was w that?  The driver would let the front passenger in and then they would unlock the driver’s door for the driver?

what if the driver was driving alone?  

I think the idea was, on busy city streets, the driver would flip the lock button in his door, and everyone exits stage right. 

Lock the passenger side outside door handle, and the car is "secure". 

They might enter the car the same way, just slide across the front seat. 

On 11/5/2018 at 2:38 PM, 1924 6-55 Sport Tourer said:

The transmission lock key is the same as the ignition key. There is a code on both locks, and unless one has been changed in the last 90 odd years (not likely), they should be the same.

David.

With pot metal levers and switch body, the ignition lighting switch is commonly swapped out for one that has survived better and may not have seized or broken levers.  Yet. 

The same holds true for speedometer, which is why there are a lot of pictures on the net of cars with mis matched gauge faces, or even modified dashes with different gauge and switches installed. 

It's more likely that cars have their original transmissions and shifter lock. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is how the transmission lock works.  There is a slotted screw in the side of the transmission tower.  This goes into the lock cylinder "screw slot".  You have to back this screw out as step 1 to remove the lock cylinder.  There is also a retractable locking pin.  This pin either holds the lock cylinder "up" to prevent locking the transmission, or in the down position, it will lock the transmission in neutral.  The key retracts this pin.  They made the locking holes by drilling thru the tower and then later putting plugs in the holes on the rear of the tower.   In order to remove the lock cylinder, you have to remove the side screw, and retract the pin by rotating the key.   Hugh 

566182783_Lockoperation-1925Buick.thumb.JPG.9cbf42b9ab34a61d2c2cdf518d348034.JPG

• Like 2