Info on Schauer Charge Master B6612

BearsFan315

Never seen one of these, but looks like most any Schumacher charger made in the 60s  70s.

Probably has a transformer and two diodes. 

Attach it to an automotive battery, Choose correct voltage and plug it in. If meter reads about 6 amps, good to go!

This is a manual charger, so remember to turn it off. A 6 amp rate can go for a while, though. 6 amps x 8 hours is 48 amp-hours, probably not enough to overheat a battery, but I would keep a check until you get a feel for how it works.

• Like 1

This is what, in the old days, we called a "battery charger" :P

Frank DuVal nailed it. It is a manual charger, with not much inside. There is most likely a transformer, 2 diodes (probably copper oxide, riveted to the case), an ammeter, and a switch. Thats it. There were a bunch of brands, all electrically alike except for the appearance, and even the appearance didn't vary much.

Schauer was a common brand. Yes, it is a good charger. If you connect it to a dead battery it charges it, unlike many modern "smart" chargers that will refuse to charge a battery that is dead (yes, that is really true). I don't think anyone still makes these chargers. IMHO hang onto it.

I don't know where you would get a manual, but there isn't much to it. When you first connect the charger, if the battery is really dead, it wont draw much current (look at the ammeter on the front panel). As the battery gets more charged, it will draw more current, and then as the battery is getting full it will draw less current again. As Frank says, don't leave it on forever.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thanks guys, yes I am Younger than some, but i do recall these from my childhood, grandparents had something similar, jsut wondering if anyone knew anything specific about it.

I will see if i can pop it open and get some pictures inside ;)

'Yes I am engineer, and yes I love to take things apart'

I too have worked on the “smart” chargers that will not charge a dead battery. The circuit was included to prevent people from charging a battery backwards. 

Weirdest failure was circuit board that was mounted by a pop rivet, also the circuit board ground. Looked good, but the connection through that pop rivet wasn’t!

these old simple chargers run for a long time. 

Yep, a transformer and two diodes. Full wave rectifier circuit. That is a circuit breaker on the bottom next to the diode holder. Diode holder is at the end of the enameled transformer wires.

Looks good inside. Blow the dust out and plug it in like my instructions earlier. 

Not too old, has three wire cord. 

• 5 months later...

Looks like a typical old time home battery charger. 6 amps will charge your battery with no chance of over charging. If it is real dead it may have to stay on overnight for a full charge. These chargers are self limiting, they start off with a high rate of charge (amps) and taper off as the battery charges up.

Never saw a manual. Not much to know, the red clamp goes on the positive, black on the negative post of battery. Choose 6 or 12 volts depending what voltage your battery is. Most of them had a green light that came on if you had it hooked up correctly, and when it was on but these lights didn't usually last long.

The ones I had all used selenium rectifiers of half the efficiency of diodes. 2 diodes would double output and a full diode bridge would double it again. Then you had to charge a 12V battery on the 6V setting. I hopped up one charger this way and it burned up my car, so if you do this don't leave it unattended.

• 3 months later...

Hey,

I have Schauer Chargemaster  in near mint condition. It came with the place when I bought it. The old man was a lawnmower mechanic, so the workshop was fully equipped with tools, hoarded mower parts, unfinished projects etc. I've used it often and it never lets me down. My Model T is six volt, so this comes in very handy. The original owner saved all manuals and boxes his stuff came in, so I've got the manual/folded instruction sheet. I can scan it for you and send it if you like. 

Gil 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have one of these old chargers but the 6 V/12 V switch is broken. I just want to hardwire it into permanent 12 V mode because I cannot find a replacement switch. Does anybody know if all three wires should be connected to create a 12 V situation?

Well you can probably get a switch. There is a company in the US and another in Canada who stock more battery charger parts than you would believe. A whole bunch of different brands take the same parts, and Schauer is a common brand. If you are interested I'll try to find the name of the company.

But to answer your question as best I can, look at the back of the switch in the pictures above. The switch connects the center wire to one outside wire, but never both. The trouble is it has been so many years since I had one of those switches apart I can't remember which way the contacts go inside, so I can't tell you which outside wire is 6 volts and which one is 12 volts. I guess you could hook the charger to a 12 volt battery and try connecting each outside wire to the center wire. Whichever outside wire makes the ammeter go higher is probably 12 volts.

The switch is a common type found at hardware stores, electrical supply stores etc. I found this one with a quick web search, no doubt there are many different brands.

I would take the old one out and put it in my pocket, and try a few hardware stores for a good match.

If you rather not do that it appears the middle wire is power in, the top wire is power out to 6v and the bottom power to 12v. So for permanent 12v connect the middle and bottom wires. If I am wrong then try the middle and top wires.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/lighted-rocker-light-switch/p/3673117

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think that's not quite it (that one is lighted, and so one pin has to be to make the light work). What is needed here is SPDT (single pole double throw). It's the right series of switches though.

EDIT: This is a likely suspect, though the hole size would need to be verified.

https://www.amazon.com/NTE-Electronics-54-061-Miniature-Polyester/dp/B007Z7OYH6/