Help With 1926 Speedometer

DB26

Hello everyone,

While driving my '26 the other day I noticed the speedometer working rather sporadic. Above 15 MPH or so it will drop down to 0. I made a video of what I found when I removed the speedometer cable. I have bench tested the speedometer and it works fine. 

I think you should remove the cable inner to check it for twist.

I further think you should bench test the speedo by hand. I believe it has a die-cast body. At 90+ years old it is probably swelling (disintegrating, basically). My Dodge 8 speedo is. This causes the speedo body to tighten up on the cable. Erratic speeds follow, as does a twisted cable inner, which will eventually break.

After you have proved these parts to be OK, then it is time to perhaps suspect the speedo drive gear. At the moment, you are lifting it and turning it. It should turn but don't lift it to check. There may be some backlash. I am assuming you have enough oil (not grease) in the gearbox to adequately lubricate the gear?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Darn. This may be the case with mine.

I took the Dodge out for a drive just a few minutes ago and now my speedometer doesn't work at all. I must've finished if off when I took it apart. I'll take the gear out this week and post my results. 

The easiest way to test your speedometer  is to disconnect the cable from behind the speedo meter. With the rear wheels jacked up, blocked safely , run the engine in gear and see if the cable turns. The drive from the tranny could be  worn. It may be better to check the drive gear in the tranny and take it step by step. Pull the cable out and inspect. Next step would be remove speedo from the dash , hold it in your hand and see if it works while the engine is running in gear. remove  the housing and look for felt covered oil holes. The  parts inside of the speedometer are very delicate. Part with the numbers that shows through the window turns by some kind of magnet connection and floats on an axle which must be oiled and must move, rotate, freely. Spin it by hand and if  working properly it will always come back and rest on zero at the window. If I remember correctly there is a micro adjustment screw . The  " counter" adjusting thumb screw could be suspect for lack of lubrication . If the cable is new it may be fractionally too  long . It will fit but the forward pressure will cause problem.

• Like 1

Another update for today. I took the a Dodge for a drive a few minutes ago and had the speedometer disconnected, but the cable connected to the transmission. As I was driving, I witnessed the cable turning. I grabbed the end of the cable with my fingers and was able to stop it from rotating with very little effort. 

• 3 months later...

You have to pull the transmission top off. Then you can unscrew the large nut on the top side of the speedo drive. Find a good used one and swap out the complete drive. Maybe Myers or Romar have new gears. Let me know if you can't find the parts. I may be able to dig some up.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dwollam said:

You have to pull the transmission top off. Then you can unscrew the large nut on the top side of the speedo drive. Find a good used one and swap out the complete drive. Maybe Myers or Romar have new gears. Let me know if you can't find the parts. I may be able to dig some up.

I had shelves the project, but I might tackle this sooner than later. I was under the impression I had to remove he transmission from the car. I have a few other projects going on right now that should be done with in a the next few weeks. I will let you know if I need your help with a part. It would’ve nice to see just how far under the speed limit I’m going. 

• 3 years later...

I have just done up my gearbox. Final check was the speedo drive, and to my surprise, I found the bushes etc were very badly worn, probably enough to disengage the gear. I stripped it, machined down the shaft to get it true and  made up and fitted new bronze bushes. Having never driven the vehicle at all, I never experienced what you have found.  Next job will be to check out the speedo.  It could never have worked as the inner cable that came in the car was far to short. New pc of 5/32 " x 18 3/8 " long cable on the way to me and I will re-solder the ends on it when it arrives.

Edited by cutdown (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Did you know there are left and right twist speedometer cables? Twist goes opposite of rotation, so it does not try and unwind. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mark Gregush said:

Did you know there are left and right twist speedometer cables? Twist goes opposite of rotation, so it does not try and unwind. 

Had not thought of that, but I asked the man to send me a length of the same one that was sold to our Whangarei member.  Its anticlockwise looking into the speedo, so I will check it out when its gets here.  Couriers are very slow at them moment. Took a week [ after ringing up on the 5th working day to find out where it had got to ], for my front spring eye bushes to arrive from Auckland.

The cable I took out had a r/h threaded look so was the right type.

2 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

I recently learned that because I started working at an antique automotive restoration shop. They specialize in early brass cars and nickel. I have learned a lot. Because I am beginning to work on other peoples antique cars I figured that I need to get my car in perfect running condition. Why would you trust me to fix your antique car for 70 bucks an hour when I can’t fix my own. 

Edited by Mpgp1999 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, cutdown said:

Had not thought of that, but I asked the man to send me a length of the same one that was sold to our Whangarei member.  Its anticlockwise looking into the speedo, so I will check it out when its gets here.  Couriers are very slow at them moment. Took a week [ after ringing up on the 5th working day to find out where it had got to ], for my front spring eye bushes to arrive from Auckland.

The cable I took out had a r/h threaded look so was the right type.

As short as the cables are, might not be an issue anyway. 

My speedo was stuck. I managed to get it apart. :Lubricating the driven shaft only allowed it to  turn stiffly.  I rang the supplier of the cable and they were able to sort the speedo out for me so i sent it to them this morning. They had not done the cable yet so will include the new cable with the speedo when it is returned to me.

DB26. What are you going to do about your problem. No point in not fixing it. We need to know how you fixed it otherwise what was the point in asking on this forum.

On 5/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, DB26 said:

I never did fix that problem. 

Darn.  I am not sure I have not taken it out. Can it be removed without removing the transmission top.  

• 2 weeks later...

So now I cant seem to find any of this speedo cable in NZ. Have been supplied the clockwise version but would rather use the correct version.

I need  a length of 492 mm, 4mm speedo cable for anticlockwise driven speedo.

To ID the cable, the outer wire is spun in a clockwise direction, so that when rotated anticlockwise, it would have the tendency to wind up. Spun the other way, the outer spun wire would tend to unwind, and jam.

Many thanks

Dereck

PS I put this request in the buy/sell part of this forum as well.

Edited by cutdown
correction (see edit history)