'63 Riv - In it's new home

Bdad

Almost 2 years ago I went to a local car show where I met CJP69 and fell in love with his '65 Riv. I told him of my long time dream to own one and he offered to be my guide. Over these many months CJP69 would send me links to 673-65's. A couple of times we got close. Not many months ago I was feeling blue about not finding a car and CJP69 called and talked me through the bout of semi-depression. Well...we found a '63 in Flint, MI (an ex-RoA member) and began the process of trading messages and pictures and video's. Everything looked good but I wanted someone familiar with the 63-65 Riv's to take a look if possible. Lo and behold, about 20 miles south of Flint was Gary Lowell. He has been restoring a barn find '63. He offered to drive to see the car. He saw, called and shared his thoughts and I bought the car. Gary's willingness to go look is sincerely appreciated. CJP69 + Gary made a team and I want to publicly share my heartfelt thanks to both of them.

The car is listed as Burgundy. The body and paint are in very good condition. The interior is white leather restored in 2006 by the seller (who bought the car in 1971). 69,000 and change on mileage. PW; PS; Wonderbar with PA; AC; 401 (not the original - it's buick green rather than silver).

What needs to be done?

1) Muffler

2) Drivers power window labors

3) AC needs servicing and charging (R12)

4) The power antenna clicks and you can hear the motor but it doesn't rise

The muffler is being done this week and the car goes to the shop on the 29th for a full inspection with replacement of plugs; wires; cap; rotor; point/condensor; oil/filter; etc. If anything else needs attention I'll get it done. I don't want to belabor the pictures. If anyone's interested I can share engine compartment; trunk' firewall tag; etc

But I really want to thank everyone who's answered questions (CJP69; Gary and Jim Cannon) and others in the forum. I'll have more.

Dick

1959109247_63Riv_Rightfront_to_Back.thumb.jpg.e608eff99f33976c1a0673a6c439ffae.jpg

Edited by Bdad (see edit history)
  • Like 7

All of the information needed to decode your data plate can be found on the ROA's website.  The car is an early production model built in the first week of October. The data plate only tells what options or provisions were done at Fisher Body before the body was sent to final assembly.  There are probably other options on your car that are not on the plate.   As you learn more about it, you'll learn what mid-year changes were made to the 63 throughout the production year.  Good looking car.  Hopefully it will meet all of your expectations.

Ed

The link to the ROA website is in my signature block.

Dick,

Thank you for the kind words and it was my pleasure.  Please enjoy looking at and driving your new car.

That picture of the interior cannot do it justice.  This interior is absolutely beautiful as close to A1 as I’ve seen.  Very few wrinkles if any, nice foam and soft feeling leather.  Headliner, sail panels, door panels, lighting, carpet, trim all look and fit very well.  The company that did this interior also did the trunk all be it not original material but the look of original with more durable stain resist material and yes it’s as nice as the interior.

Best regards

Gary Lowell

• Like 1

OK Dick: I have  the almost identical twin to your 63. Burgundy with white custom leather, power windows, vents and  a/c. it's straight, original paint and no exterior rot. The nearest I can figure is some gal walked into the showroom and just picked out the color combo and started checking almost every box there was.   This combo would be the poster car for answering the question...."if you were to order a 63 Riv, what color and options would you choose"? 

Oh, I must add that my car has  no motor, no transmission or trunk floor and it needs everything you can think of including more than that.  Mitch

• Like 1

One additional option has me dismayed.  foot button on the floor next to the brake pedal to change the radio channel (first stab at hands free:).  Iv'e seen it on other cars i think older though.  Was this an option for the Riviera? or maybe dealer installed? 

58 minutes ago, flh73 said:

One additional option has me dismayed.  foot button on the floor next to the brake pedal to change the radio channel (first stab at hands free:).  Iv'e seen it on other cars i think older though.  Was this an option for the Riviera? or maybe dealer installed? 

That is the foot operation for the Wonder Bar radio. It was like a SEEK button. Would search out the closest signal.

1 hour ago, steelman said:

That is the foot operation for the Wonder Bar radio. It was like a SEEK button. Would search out the closest signal.

My '63 has the Wonderbar floor button. I need to figure out why the antenna makes noises but won't go up/down.

3 hours ago, flh73 said:

It was an option. AM Sonomatic was the standard radio, then the Wonder Bar was the option.  The power antenna was also an option for each.  Your data plate will only have a D stamped into it because in 63, the rear speaker was installed at the FIsher Body plant.  The window sticker would have had a D1 for Sonomatic with manual antenna, D2 for Sonomatic with power antenna, D3 for Wonder bar and manual antenna, and D4 for Wonderbar and power antenna.

Probably a bent mast or hardened grease keeps the antenna from working.  It's easy to pull and antenna through the access panel in the right front fender well.  Send it to Barney Easton - find him on the Reatta forum - for repairs.