'63 battery tray retainer sources?

Bdad

6 minutes ago, Bdad said:

Looks like the battery in my recently received '63 doesn't have the retainer. Tray itself looks ok. To be as authentic as possible suggestions on source(s) for the battery retainer hardware?

Also, suggestions on batteries?

CARS, Inc. Old Buick Parts Numbers are: clamp-BC635-4 and clamp bolt-BB635-4

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/index.php?cPath=27_354_358

Bill

• Like 2

The O'reilly Super Start battery is a great battery. On average I get 6 to 7 years of use out of them on the daily drivers, 5 years on my old cars that

sit all the time. Buy a 24 series battery so that the positive cable is located next to the radiator, and go online and buy one of the tar topper battery

toppers to fit on top of it to make it look like a correct battery.

The first generation Rivieras take a group 27 sized battery.  For safety reasons the positive terminal should be toward the radiator.  IF you're not showing your car and don't need the proper Delco battery, buy a group 27F battery.  That will put the positive terminal toward the radiator but the positive post will be toward the back instead of the front as it is on the group 27.  

A dealer service bulletin recommends that the positive cable be routed between the battery and the hold down bolt.  That keeps the positive cable from making contact with the four note horns, if you have them, and the power steery pulley.  

Ed

Group 27 battery  If you mount this battery with the positive post toward the radiator, you have to lay the cable across the top of the battery.

Image result for group 27 battery precision

Group 27F  Putting the positive post toward tha battery means the cable doesn't lie on the top of the battery

Image result for group 27f battery everstart

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

With the 27, you may find that the cable(s) aren't long enough to reverse the orientation.  At least, that's my experience.

I did need to buy a 30" positive cable. I've ordered a 2 gauge positive 30" and a 2 gauge negative 24" which I'll install when they come in. That way I make sure that the new Interstate battery talks will with the electrical system with the terminals positioned correctly.

21 hours ago, RivNut said:

The first generation Rivieras take a group 27 sized battery.  For safety reasons the positive terminal should be toward the radiator.  IF you're not showing your car and don't need the proper Delco battery, buy a group 27F battery.  That will put the positive terminal toward the radiator but the positive post will be toward the back instead of the front as it is on the group 27.  

A dealer service bulletin recommends that the positive cable be routed between the battery and the hold down bolt.  That keeps the positive cable from making contact with the four note horns, if you have them, and the power steery pulley.  

Ed

Group 27 battery  If you mount this battery with the positive post toward the radiator, you have to lay the cable across the top of the battery.

Image result for group 27 battery precision

Group 27F  Putting the positive post toward tha battery means the cable doesn't lie on the top of the battery

Image result for group 27f battery everstart

Could asomeone please enlighten me as to what is unsafe about this? What am I missing? Thanks, Stege

20181025_095551 (2).jpg

I've been buying my Buick parts from bestoffercounts on ebay, including the retainer.  He's a great guy.  He's got a website too.  For the battery...I got one from Interstate but the lower cost offshore model. I believe it says green power on it.  27f group I think.  I'll check when I get home.

Chris

On 10/25/2018 at 9:40 AM, gungeey said:

Could asomeone please enlighten me as to what is unsafe about this? What am I missing? Thanks, Stege

20181025_095551 (2).jpg

Steve,

Best to get the positive post of the battery away from the edge of the hood if possible. Even if the battery is properly secured, in the event of a small fender bender, the positive post of the battery could short against the sheetmetal and present the risk of fire.

Tom

• Like 1

In my '64, when I get to the stage of a new battery, I'm considering installing a side post battery just to get the post away from the hood.  It's going to be tweaked in other ways as well.   Something Buick might have done in the day had side post batteries been around. I'd like to hear your comments.

• 4 years later...

The 1st generation battery trays are part of the car, they’re not bolted on.  Depending on what your intentions are you can get by with what you have.  Clean it up as much as you can then treat with some rust encapsulator to prevent spreading.  Hold down consists of two parts. A long “bolt” that has a flattened hook on one end rather than a hex head.  The hook goes into the slot at the back on the bottom.  The other piece hooks into the radiator core support and lays across the battery where a loop on the other end goes over the “J” bolt and a wing nut holds them tight.  The piece that goes across the battery has a pieces of light angle iron next to the loop and the hook that goes into the radiator core support, they sit on the edges of the battery. 

In the attached illustration, you can see the two parts I tried describing.

IMG_1229.jpeg.89a411c46f64562db02ae2d7924122cc.jpeg

Edited by RivNut
Illustration (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

in the above photo, the battery cables are hooked up backwards. The positive cable should be closer to the radiator. The illustration I posted previously shows the correct way to run the cables.  Notice how the positive cable runs between the battery and the hood down bolt.  

Ed I think you mean to say that originally the positive and negative posts would be opposite of what’s being used in this car. It looks to be a 27 series. If a 27F series is used the posts would be in the correct position for what was originally in the car but the posts would have been on the side closest to the car’s grill. 

Would hate to see someone mistakenly think the cables could be swapped on the battery pictured and not cause serious damage.

Ray

2 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

Ed I think you mean to say that originally the positive and negative posts would be opposite of what’s being used in this car. It looks to be a 27 series. If a 27F series is used the posts would be in the correct position for what was originally in the car but the posts would have been on the side closest to the car’s grill. 

Would hate to see someone mistakenly think the cables could be swapped on the battery pictured and not cause serious damage.

Ray

I posted the illustration to show how the cars were originally built.  The picture shows an incorrect placement. Following that schematic will put everything in its proper place. One other thing I have noticed with cars that have the positive post next to the fender is that they’re missing the smaller wire, which is part of the negative cable, being attached to the mounting screw for the voltage regulator.  You have to start reading my posts from the beginning to follow the thread.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Ed I did read this thread from the beginning.

What I was trying to relay, guess I could have done a better job, was that when you do a search for a battery replacement a group 27 is what comes up. Of course the readily obtainable Group 27F is a better fit for the car and the last time I replaced mine, I was questioned on this (Costco Interstate). Back when I brought the car back home from California I had to replace a group 24 battery that was in it and the Napa store on Rt 66 only had a group 27, which is what they also showed as the correct battery for the car. I made a plastic piece that would fit under the battery cable cover to give another layer of protection from contacting the hood. Still used it when I replaced the battery.

Ray

I agree that the 27F works well. But if you look at the illustration, it shows the positive cable running between two of the filler caps on a Group 27 battery.  Now days with maintenance free batteries, you don’t have to worry about laying the cable between caps. But then you don’t have “authenticity.”  😁

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

But then you don’t have “authenticity.”

Get yourself one of these - I put one on my GP and from a foot or so away it is pretty convincing.  ;)

image.png.fe1b272eed593a33387ff73842621cda.png

• Like 1

Yes, probably requires some modification with fiberglass cloth & resin.  Depending upon how particular you are, I think one could be modified to work and at least from standing in front, give a convincing appearance.

22 hours ago, RivNut said:

I’ve seen those but the only Group 27 “toppers” are for Mopar batteries. The good looking Delco toppers are all for z group 59 batteries.  Playing to the Chevy crowd.  What’s a Riv owner to do? 

Here's what I did. Cheap and will work on any battery. Comes with caps and 2 stickers for the battery. He doesn't have any of the caps with the black lettering left but, that can be rectified with a black sharpie. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312523457203?hash=item48c3d982b3:g:xxEAAOSwu-Fhf96E

Bill

Riviera ROA Meet 2023.jpeg

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Here's what I did. Cheap and will work on any battery. Comes with caps and 2 stickers for the battery. He doesn't have any of the caps with the black lettering left but, that can be rectified with a black sharpie. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312523457203?hash=item48c3d982b3:g:xxEAAOSwu-Fhf96E

Bill

Riviera ROA Meet 2023.jpeg

👍What brand of battery did you use?  Group 27?  Looks goog

32 minutes ago, RivNut said:

👍What brand of battery did you use?  Group 27?  Looks goog

Thanks Ed. That battery and my previous battery which I also put the caps and stickers on were group 24 batteries. The previous one was from Batteries Plus. This one is from O'Reilly's.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

Thanks, most of the “toppers” I find are for group 59 batteries. They must be the Camaro, Chevell batteries. Group 27 toppers for many Mopars but they say “Mopar” on the top along with the Chrysler pentastar emblem.

45 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Thanks, most of the “toppers” I find are for group 59 batteries. They must be the Camaro, Chevell batteries. Group 27 toppers for many Mopars but they say “Mopar” on the top along with the Chrysler pentastar emblem.

Just to be clear. This not a topper. These are caps with adhesive on them and 2 stickers. You can put them on any size battery. 

Bill