how do I get a vin number?

jrvieau

36 minutes ago, jrvieau said:

I have a serial number and the Dodge Brothers serial number tag but do not know the vin number. Can any one help me?

12 minutes ago, jrvieau said:

I think it is a 1945 I do not have the engine it was a flat 6 cylinder

Are you sure it was built in 1945?

I think at some time " Dodge Brothers" was replace by "Dodge" [No "Brother's]

Any photos?

So the engine in gone from truck?

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/otherengines.php

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

It would have been a "flat head" or an "L head"6.  A flat four/six would be a pancake four/six like Corvair, Porsche or Subaru to name a few.

L-Head-Engine[1].gif

11 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

I think at some time " Dodge Brothers" was replace by "Dodge" [No "Brother's]

1938 was the last year "Brothers" was used on the nameplates.....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, c49er said:

I looked the serial # up in the W-series DT parts book...

Looks to be a 1946 WC.

Correct 1946 with an engine code of T112, 1/2 ton Detroit built.

J - not sure what State you are in, in California I was able to file for a lost title as long as I purchased a Surety Bond Title. 

Although I had the Title, I did not want to have to give it up in order to get a new CA Title, because I did not want to lose the history...had the original owners name and signature and address.

It costs a bit more to get the bond, and then I had to have the truck weighed, and inspected by a licensed vehicle inspector.....process took about 3 months from start to finish.

GLWT

15 hours ago, jrvieau said:

so what was the total cost? I live in Wisconsin and the truck was here also. Mother in law and her husband sold me the truck but could not come up with title. So I am looking to try and figure out how to get a title.

$100 for the Bond, Inspector was $75, then the normal title fees the State charges.

17 hours ago, jrvieau said:

so what was the total cost? I live in Wisconsin and the truck was here also. Mother in law and her husband sold me the truck but could not come up with title. So I am looking to try and figure out how to get a title.

Hi jrveau, you should encourage the inlaws to apply for a lost tittle since it was originally theirs. You could reimburse them for any expense incurred.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Have you looked on the outer face of the left front chassis rail in the vicinity of the spring hangars, often the serial (vin) number was stamped into the chassis, I have also seen them on some models further back on the chassis adjacent the cowl area.

• 1 year later...

The serial number was most likely the number it was registered under but that's not written in stone. I would ask the DMV to run the serial number to see if it's still listed in any state, they may help you. They should be able to tell you what you will have to do.

Ask YOUR state licensing agency what to do.   Each state has its own laws regarding missing titles and missing agents.    For certain you will need to get a bonded title from a company that does that.   They set their fees.   Asking the whole of the country and the world in this forum is highly unlikely to get you Wisconsin answers that will actually get you a Wisconsin title.   Its really simple if you think it through.