WTB - horn bar for 65-66 Riviera faux wood steering wheel

kreed

My horn bar broke in the usual place so am looking for a replacement . Tried Rick Rawls and the guy that was making them for him has "gone silent" so no go there . Know they're hard to find and not  cheap. Willing to pay the price . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks

KReed

ROA 14549 

I have another parts buddy who has a source working on accurate horn bar repro's, but will be a while as they hit some snags.  There are some potmetal resto guys who can put yours back together, but it'll cost and time is an unnown.  I am in the same boat, I have a broken one and trying to figure the path of least resistance. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, s_hilmoe said:

Might try giving this guy a buzz. He's in Oregon advertising on Craigslist. I think he made a couple posts on here at one time.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/d/buick-riviera-parts/6607133219.html

00F0F_6X7VGV8qkNG_600x450.jpg

What's up with the Oregonians hoarding all the Riviera parts. Glad they are making them available! 

2 hours ago, jframe said:

Rick supplied me with mine, and it's first rate. Much better quality than the OEM.

I heard that Rick, aka Buickbonehead, has stopped his production of these because he's having problems getting them plated to his satisfaction.  I don't  know if this is scuttlebutt or fact.  

When I talked with Bob Stemm last week, he told me that his supplier's bar would have the relief along the bar that Rick's was missing.

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

I heard that Rick, aka Buickbonehead, has stopped his production of these because he's having problems getting them plated to his satisfaction.  I don't  know if this is scuttlebutt or fact.  

When I talked with Bob Stemm last week, he told me that his supplier's bar would have the relief along the bar that Rick's was missing.

I suspect Steve Lorenzen is the supplier Bob is referring to.

Tom

14 hours ago, RivNut said:

Interesting. I thought Steve only dealt in used parts.  Do you by any chance know who Mitch Romanowski uses to reproduce the plastic emblems for his center cap repos?

Steve is advertising hornbars in the latest Riview.

Mitch produces/distributes many different center caps so I`m sure the answer to your question varies.

I`ve known Mitch for many years and know him well enough to assure his attention to detail is well beyond most hobbyists. Folks dont realize what it takes to coordinate a project like a wheel center cap, which on the surface would seem to be very simple, but becomes very complicated if one is particular about "getting it right". He has related the ups and downs and setbacks he experienced getting his GS center caps eventually to market and I`m sure I wouldnt have had the patience and drive.

Ed, your question would probably best be directed at Mitch himself.

Tom

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 4:28 PM, kreed said:

My horn bar broke in the usual place so am looking for a replacement . Tried Rick Rawls and the guy that was making them for him has "gone silent" so no go there . Know they're hard to find and not  cheap. Willing to pay the price . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks

KReed

ROA 14549 

Kreed, check Ebay now. Do a search for Riviera hornbar. Good luck!

Tom

Somebody needs to reproduce these steering wheels and associated parts. In my opinion it is the most

needed reproduction part for the early Rivieras. You can buy brand new wood wheels for Chevrolets and Pontiacs. It's time

for someone to repro the Buick wheel. The other part  sorely needed is the tail light lens for the 65's.  

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, Seafoam65 said:

Somebody needs to reproduce these steering wheels and associated parts. In my opinion it is the most

needed reproduction part for the early Rivieras. You can buy brand new wood wheels for Chevrolets and Pontiacs. It's time

for someone to repro the Buick wheel.

How many cars had the wood wheel originally?  Wouldn't think it's a lot; there wouldn't seem to be much of a restoration market.  Most of the sales would go to folks who are in option acquisition mode.  If they were easily available, it would tend to drive down value of the originals and mitigate the appeal to folks who want it just to show it off.