Abandoned car found in Death Valley

franklomax

Greetings all,

I found this abandoned car when hiking an obscure canyon in Death Valley NP.  I was wondering if someone could please help me identify it.  I'm including some pictures and close-ups of serial numbers found on the vehicle.  Thank you in advance for any help.

jalopycanyon10.jpg

jalopycanyon11.jpg

jalopycanyon26.jpg

jalopycanyon17'.jpg

jalopycanyon18.jpg

jalopycanyon19.jpg

jalopycanyon22.jpg

Can't help with the ID but your pictures are excellent!

I'm sure someone here will be able to identify it.

Always makes you wonder what story comes with this type of abandoned car. Where did it start from and how did it end up in such a remote location?

Greg

Death Valley - one of the driest places in the world.  As a side note if it is within the boundaries of Death Valley National Park it will have to stay exactly where it is. All items within a national park are protected and may not be removed or molested. 

Scotty's castle has on display an original 1917(?) Packard touring  that was originally used at the ranch and a 'pile' of junkers out back in a dump area. As I remember the newest was a 1950-53 Cadillac CDV.  Way back when it was too expensive to remove them, so they were left where they fell. Today they are protected historical artifacts. 

On 5/29/2018 at 5:44 AM, trimacar said:

It's been identified as a circa 1919 Briscoe.  Amazing how little rust occurs in certain areas of the West, there's nothing there that wouldn't clean up. 

David, you say it has been identified.  Does that mean that someone else has taken pictures of this car and it has been ID'd  previously?

1 hour ago, Curti said:

David, you say it has been identified.  Does that mean that someone else has taken pictures of this car and it has been ID'd  previously?

No, on the Model T forum someone had pictures of a 1919 Briscoe and everything, including stamped serial number locations, matched up perfectly.  In fact, the serial number of the found car was within about 20 numbers of the pictures found....there's really no doubt it's a Briscoe....

Here's a link to the MTFCA discussion.  On a side note, just talked to a good friend who was out West about 10 years ago, and saw tons of old cars abandoned, mainly in Idaho....lots of good parts, but we understand now that a scrap drive has cleaned up a lot of them so they're lost....

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/869402.html?1527706953  

• 3 weeks later...

A clue might be the gear change arrangements, which indicates to me that the gearbox is part of the rear axle assembly.  Apart from Stutz, (which it is obviously not),  the most common car to use a transaxle was Overland. It is not like any Overland engine that I have seen.     

A good reference to identify on such mechanical idiosyncrasies is January (show) issues of MoToR.  You might be able to get library access to various years.   The only one I have is January 1921. The transaxle detail of Briscoe may show up there.

MoToR Specification Tables covering 1918 and following years to 1924 state "own-3" for the transmission make and number of speeds, and "own" for the rear axle make. Since this was in table format it probably doesn't necessarily negate it being transaxle.  The gear ratio given was 4.23.