New member with ‘36 Buick Special looking for parts

Hutchhouse

There were two (2) radios available for the 1936 Buick. The one you show above is the deluxe model of the two. The standard lower level is vertical with no overlapping of trim panel and completely differently from the deluxe. Both are shown in the 1936 accessory catalog, which also shows the standard and deluxe hot water heaters.

9 hours ago, Seldenguy said:

There were two (2) radios available for the 1936 Buick. The one you show above is the deluxe model of the two. The standard lower level is vertical with no overlapping of trim panel and completely differently from the deluxe. Both are shown in the 1936 accessory catalog, which also shows the standard and deluxe hot water heaters.

Normally when i start a project like this I acquire all the shop manuals brochures etc but  you guys are so helpful and responsive I havent had a chance to do that yet. I was afraid there would be info scarcity but you guys are sure dispelling that concern. Thank you soo much

Don't recall the cost of the data tag but as I recall over $100. the radio you have is not original nor is the heater. I have both heaters offered in 1936 as well as both radios. All are very hard to find and don't come up on ebay very often. The sales brochure for the 1936 models can be found online and shows pictures of both radios as well as both heaters.

I also have both '36 radio heads but only the standard radio with separate speaker. When I was having the radio restored the technician found that the deluxe and standard radios and heads were not instantly compatible and sadly I could not use the much nicer looking deluxe head. Maybe I will have to buy another '36 so that I can use the head!

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:32 AM, Hutchhouse said:

While I was out there I took pictures of a Philco radio and controls that came in a box in the trunk.  No idea if its right or wrong for this car but the controls have a keyed lock and key.  There is also a knob just below the speaker  What's that key all about?

Philco Radio.jpg

Philco Radio mounting.jpg

Buick Philco Radio with key.jpg

PHILCO produced universal radios for installation in motor vehicles. While looking for a radio to fit my 1936 Century I came across a mounting kit manufactured by CROWE RADIO COMPONENTS  from Chicago. The kit is specifically produced to enable a 1936 PHILCO Universal model radio ( I think model 817 or 818 ) control head in the correct position on the dash and included quality componentry and beautifully finished facia panel which matches the factory dash.

radio crowe 005.JPG

radio crowe 002.JPG

radio crowe 003.JPG

radio crowe 004.JPG

On 4/29/2018 at 8:32 PM, Hutchhouse said:

What's that key all about?

These tube type radios will run the battery down totally rather quickly if the car is not running. I think you will find that the key allows you to lock the radio so nobody can turn the radio on and kill your battery when the car is parked.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, 50jetback said:

PHILCO produced universal radios for installation in motor vehicles. While looking for a radio to fit my 1936 Century I came across a mounting kit manufactured by CROWE RADIO COMPONENTS  from Chicago. The kit is specifically produced to enable a 1936 PHILCO Universal model radio ( I think model 817 or 818 ) control head in the correct position on the dash and included quality componentry and beautifully finished facia panel which matches the factory dash.

radio crowe 005.JPG

radio crowe 002.JPG

radio crowe 003.JPG

radio crowe 004.JPG

Stuart thank you for the reply.  Is this something you think would work with the head I posted pictures of, and is it something you could bear to part with if so??

IMHO that Philco in the pictures is much older, probably from about 1930-32. Four years is an eternity in 1930s radio design. I suspect that head mounted under the dash or on the steering column or something like that. You could look for evidence of that radio being mounted in the Buick (like firewall holes). Even if it was it just isn't the right age for the car. For one of those mounting kits you would need the specific Philco it was made for.

15 hours ago, Hutchhouse said:

Stuart thank you for the reply.  Is this something you think would work with the head I posted pictures of, and is it something you could bear to part with if so??

What is the model number on the radio you have?

If it's a model 817 or 818 then this control head should fit. From my research at the time Crowe Manufacturing made these control heads to replace the universal under dash or steering column mounted controls ( which you have ) to enable Philco radios to be fitted ( superior radio to Delco factory fitted ???? ) and look as though they were factory fitted.

I bought it because I thought I had a better chance of picking up a Philco radio rather than a 1936 Buick Delco radio which are pretty rare. I did manage to get a Delco radio and head before a Philco turned up so fitted that so this control head is available I guess.   

Wow nice pic thank you.  My numbers are obliterated by the puncture for the hose fitting — they couldn’t have put it in a place to take out more data than they did.  Do you or anyone else have any ideas about how I may recreate or discover what my numbers should were?  I can deduce my trim paint and body style but how would I figure out the body number?  Seems like that would be the most important of all. I have found a source for repop tag and rivets but  I gotta tell him what to put on it.   The only date reference I have is the original title and purchase date by the original owner from the dealer.  Any way to deduce body number?

Hello Bill.  My name is Les and I'm in the process of restoring my '36 Special Business Coupe (model 46).  I found the following information in the "1936 Buick Shop Manual" that may help you determine the exact model number of your car.  These are all the 1936 Special (Series 40) cars and all have 118" Wheelbase.

Model 41  5-Passenger  Four-Door Sedan with Built-in Trunk,  License Weight 3360

Model 46  2-Passenger  Business Coupe with Deck,  License Weight 3150

Model 46S  4-Passenger Sport Coupe with Rumble Seat - Fenderwell only, License Weight 3180

Model 46C 4-Passenger Convertible Coupe with Rumble Seat - Fenderwell only, License Weight 3370

Model 48 5-Passenger Two-Door Victoria Coupe with Built-in Trunk, License Weight 3305

I hope this helps.  Make sure you obtain one of these manuals along with a copy of the Master Parts List.

Les