Tires

Jack Worstell

I've seen a lot of discussions about bias vs radial tires.    While there

doesn't seem to be a solid consensus either way....nevertheless most people 

say that radials are better than bias for our old cars.

So in what ways are radials "better"

easier steering ?

better handling ?

a more comfortable ride ?

or ?

I realize that that this  has discussed  ad nauseam      but I'd like to understand  "better"

Jack Worstell

The Coker Classics I installed last year ride and handle considerably better than the bias plies that came off.That being said,the bias tires could well have been about 35-40 years old ! So far,I'm very impressed with all aspects of the radials,including profile.

Jim

Restoring Packard wheels 004.JPG

• Like 2

Jack, 

The radials have a more forgiving sidewall due to the design of the belts.  That is why they sometimes look like they are low on air relative to a bias ply tire.  What this softer sidewall does for you is give a little more shock absorption, and the steering does not get as jerked around by the road conditions.   I had an Austin Healey 3000 that I switched from bias ply to radials, and it was like driving a completely different car.  The same experience as Jim mentions.  Much smoother and it did not get pulled around by the road.  So it's really a pretty easy decision in my book .  Radials for ride and bias for show.  If you don't care about the points you will be really happy with the radials.    Hugh

• Like 2

Jack , are you thinking of putting a set of tires on a specific car ? If so  , what ? Or just general curiousity ? I would say that as a wide generalization , that radials are best for driving. Among their benefits is an extremely wide range of operating pressures. This gives you options for tuning your suspension for optimal use under various conditions. I am a hard core driver , but , sadly , cannot get radials for my 1924 and 1927 Cadillacs. Ben , who wrapped up the subject perfectly above , is also a performance cruiser who is lucky there are some very good radials in his size. Bias tires are better for show cars , (the appearance thing) , which cover the overwhelming majority of their miles inside of a box which rolls on radials , pulled by a tow vehicle which also rides on radials. I have used a wide variety of radials on a great number of different cars and trucks in three continents under the most varied conditions you can imagine since the early '60s. Today's state-of-the-art , high quality , computer designed directional or asymmetrical tires allow a car to be all it can be. Handling equals safety.    - Carl 

• Like 1

Another experience I had with bias and radial tires was with my '72 Chevy C20 pickup.When I purchased it, it had 950/16.5 nylon bias tires.The "early morning thump" seemed to never go away ! When towing with it on the freeway, a big chunk of the right front tread parted company with the tire.I limped in to the nearest town and found a tire store that had a set of 8.75/16.5 radials.We replaced them then and there. I couldn't believe I was driving the same truck! It went from lumber wagon to country Cadillac. Most radical difference I ever experienced.

Jim

(The fire truck now resides in a museum in Rotterdam,Holland).

72_firetruck.jpg

I have a set of 7.00 x 16 Coker Classics radials on my 39 Roadmaster.  What a difference in driving when compared with the old bias ply tires.  Stud ruts and longitudinal pavement seams are no longer a problem.  In addition, the tires fit in the front fender sidemount wells and the metal covers fit over them the way they should.

I run 7.60 x 15 America's Classics radials on my 49 Super.  They are the exact size of the original 7.60 x 15 US Royal spare.  The overall tire width is just right.  They are not overly wide like competitor's tires, which tend to bump into tie rod ends on tight turns. This is the third set of tires that I've purchased for this car in the forty years that I've owned it.  They're great!

Edited by BuickBob49
Additional information (see edit history)

When I installed radials on my '41 Limited, half the noise and half the bumps disappeared. 

I put radials on my '41 Cadillac and it became the quietest old car I've ever driven.

I am putting radials on my '41 Super convertible ASAP because it wanders all over the road.

If they made 20-inch radials to fit my '29 Cadillac, I would buy them tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

If they made 20-inch radials to fit my '29 Cadillac, I would buy them tomorrow.

Well Matt my friend : You might just be able to do so. 7.00 X 20 are they ? Please contact Derek Thille (Thriller , the Winnipeg Buick Nut on the forum). He found the best 20" tires in the world for our late '20s cars. A phenomenally tough truck radial. Blackwalls , of course , but I imagine D'back could whiten the walls for you flashy guys. I spent far too much fantasy time trying to conjure up some means of stretching  them onto my 21 inch rims on the '27 Cad. I finally had to come back to reality , but I still wistfully pine for equivalent 21s , and 23s also for the '24. I hope to share in your happiness by reading your report if these will work for you !  Good luck !    - Carl 

P.S. : Matt I can't find his posting regarding his phenomenal find , but here is Derek's '29 Bu' with the truck rad's mounted up. Only slightly large for his car (I LOVE the look) , might be absolutely perfect for you too. Look at that sidewall profile ! Oooooooo am I jealous of you guys !   - CC 

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)

On 3/27/2018 at 11:42 AM, Jack Worstell said:

I've seen a lot of discussions about bias vs radial tires.    While there

doesn't seem to be a solid consensus either way....nevertheless most people 

say that radials are better than bias for our old cars.

So in what ways are radials "better"

easier steering ?

better handling ?

a more comfortable ride ?

or ?

I realize that that this  has discussed  ad nauseam      but I'd like to understand  "better"

Jack Worstell

Radial tires ride the grooves in the highways made by tractor-trailer trucks.  With bias tires the car seems to lead all over the place.  Other than that I see no purpose in them.  If you let them get old they can blow the fender off your car like do on car trailers.  I've run 30-year old bias white walls because they looked good, and never had a blowout.  I did have a flat on a recent tour because I ran over a bunch of nails.  Even on one of my Suburbans a rear tire blew out and bent the fender up.  I've been driving since 1954 and have had only one blowout with a bias tire.  I've had many with radial tires, especially on the car trailer.  That said, I bought a set for my new old car, a 1941 Buick Roadmaster.  The first time out with the Club they play a game....a backup contest.  I thought I was too close to the guy on the left and ended up backing into the curb.  First time now.  The tire has a lump in it now like one of those you see on modern cars and the dealer says, "oh, that's just where it's put together.  Also, the tires squat and always look low.  I just sold my second home, and I think I'll buy another set (bias) and say to heck with the money.  Maybe somebody will buy these.