1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan

In 1936 the fourteenth series recieved a new radiator which was installed at a five-degree angle. Other than that, it was basically the same to the prior year.  This 1936 Packard Eight 1401 has a 320 cubic-inch side valve eight-cylinder engine that produces 130 horsepower and weighs 4815 libs. It has a three-speed synchromesh transmission and four-wheel vacuum assisted mechanical brakes on a 134″ wheelbase with a 5 passenger Club Sedan Body.

In 1936 Packard was producing their 14th Series as the number thirteen had been skipped. It is suspected that thirteen was not used due to superstitious reasons. The 14th Series was the last year for Bijur lubrication, ride control, a semi-elliptic suspension, mechanical brakes, heavy vibration dampening bumpers.   It was also the last year for the 17″ option of wire or wood wheels.

This 1936 Packard Eight Club Sedan is unrestored, although maintained for sometime in its life.   I acquired this car and started sorting the mechanicals, as it was running very poorly.  The rear lower trunk door was removed at some point,  primed and never re-installed.  It is present in the pictures.  No logic there that I can come up with.  The interior is very usable as is, dash and gauges in great shape, radio, heater, dual side mount spares, trunk rack as options.  It has good oil pressure and the bottom of the engine sounds tight, runs nicely, clutch and transmission operate correctly.   Missing air cleaner and correct radiator cap.  What you see is what you get, pictures should clearly show and identify condition.  Watch a very bad short video on website.  http://www.tomlaferriere.com/listings/1936-packard-super-eight-1401-club-sedan

Please note this Packard is titled under its embossed firewall number (Thief Proof #)

Located in Smithfield, RI.  $24,500

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-18.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-19.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-20.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-21.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-22.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-23.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-24.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-25.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-26.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-27.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-32.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-41.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-44.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-45.jpg

1936 Packard Eight 1401 Club Sedan-47.jpg

Edited by Tom Laferriere
Spelling and grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Me too, but cant keep them all!  This car would steal any car show it attends.  I leaned that when i brought my first unrestored car to a car show in 2002 and everyone was around it 3 deep.  If you don't like talking with people, do not buy this car.  :-)  I hate letting it go, but onward and upward as my friend Jim P always says.  

I feel silly for asking and this isn't me being a smart-ass, but what's a "rear lower truck door?" I've been pouring over the photos looking for something that might fit that definition and be in primer, but I'm not seeing it.

That said, this is a great find. Club sedans are always so handsome. Tom, you really have a knack for finding these awesome Packards that just shouldn't exist anymore. I'm envious!

I get his emails directly which showed the lower trunk door off laying inside the trunk.  I think it was just a typo.  

It's a great car.  I wish my Dad hadn't blown the money he saved up for an old car last fall,  this would have been a perfect one for him.  He loves Packard's as well.  

My garage has consumed all my funds and any I make into the near future. 

Beautiful car.  I don't think it will take long to find a buyer.  Just wish it could be me. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would say about the missing parts , that  air cleaner is no problem to find something similar  but that lower trunk door is another problem especially when the car would leave the US .As they say find the needle in the hay stack but down here you will not find that needle even if you go trough 5 hay stacks .Otherwise a nice car and i am still dreaming to get  another packard  one day .I did get a Mercedes adenauer for my 70th birtday , maybe when i turn 75 .