What to do during idle time.

retiredmechanic74

I saw a post about doing things to pass the time while waiting for warmer weather. At over 1200 pages I thought it would be quicker to open a new thread. SOoooo I thought I might toot my horn a little bit and show you guys how I spend my time ( very little down time here in the South ) by showing the pictures of the cars I made out of sheets of cardboard. The only things not made of cardboard are the wheels.

IMG_20180201_123957.jpg

IMG_20180201_124016.jpg

IMG_20180201_124039.jpg

IMG_20180201_124100.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

That is really neat!  It's amazing what can be done when you have the vision to see what can be crafted from simple materials. Great job.

Thank you, I often set around thinking if there is something to keep me away from TV. I just took 45 beer cans (What a hang-over) and made a sun window heater for the bathroom works pretty good.  

I started this model of the famous fishing/racing schooner "Bluenose" in 2006, a couple of years before my first old car purchase, a 1931 Deluxe Chevrolet Coach. While I started with a Billings Boats kit, very quickly I realized that a good build really meant abandoning the kit stuff (such as that awful cheap stand) and scratch building all except the basic timbered hull, which has dozens of nailed planks. 12 years later, using it as a stress reliever from the old car hobby every so often,  it is ready for rigging/sails and launching. I  built a stylized ramp for it and interestingly, shortly after I started the build, the real Bluenose went in drydocks for a full $25M rebuild. It is now back in the water as Nova Scotia's "Sailing Ambassador".   

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

• Like 2

Too cold to work outside here in Ohio - for me anyway. So I finally decided to do my workshop bench top with some salvaged maple flooring I scrounged from the demolition of an old school. It ended up being very labor intensive to get the unevenly worn flooring down to a smooth surface but it looks great. The first dings and scratches will be tough, but I plan on USING this bench.

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

I started this model of the famous fishing/racing schooner "Bluenose" in 2006, a couple of years before my first old car purchase, a 1931 Deluxe Chevrolet Coach. While I started with a Billings Boats kit, very quickly I realized that a good build really meant abandoning the kit stuff (such as that awful cheap stand) and scratch building all except the basic timbered hull, which has dozens of nailed planks. 12 years later, using it as a stress reliever from the old car hobby every so often,  it is ready for rigging/sails and launching. I  built a stylized ramp for it and interestingly, shortly after I started the build, the real Bluenose went in drydocks for a full $25M rebuild. It is now back in the water as Nova Scotia's "Sailing Ambassador".   

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

Very Nice. I made a couple of boats out of cardboard, one is the sister ship of the Edmond Fitzgerald it's called the Buckeye and the other boat is a schooner with 5 sails and a mermaid on the bow. I'll post a couple of pics of them tomorrow and I would like to know what you think.  

1 hour ago, zipdang said:

Too cold to work outside here in Ohio - for me anyway. So I finally decided to do my workshop bench top with some salvaged maple flooring I scrounged from the demolition of an old school. It ended up being very labor intensive to get the unevenly worn flooring down to a smooth surface but it looks great. The first dings and scratches will be tough, but I plan on USING this bench.

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

Beautiful job, That would make a great regulation shuffleboard. I did most of my house with 4" wide tongue and groove knotty pine. I find myself just setting there looking at it.

11 hours ago, retiredmechanic74 said:

Very Nice. I made a couple of boats out of cardboard, one is the sister ship of the Edmond Fitzgerald it's called the Buckeye and the other boat is a schooner with 5 sails and a mermaid on the bow. I'll post a couple of pics of them tomorrow and I would like to know what you think.  

These are the pics of the boats,

IMG_20180202_082719.jpg

IMG_20180202_082801.jpg

• Like 1

Gordon Lightfoot has a great song about the Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald, I never knew what it looked like. Sank in Lake Superior maybe? Anyway, good work. I figure I have about 400 hours in the Bluenose, perhaps 50 or so to go. At a modest $20/hr, not counting material, I figure about $10,000 at cost for the Bluenose, maybe a bit more if I add overhead! Cheers

Here is some information about the Edmund Fitzgerald:

SS Edmund Fitzgerald was a Great Lakes freighter that sank in a Lake Superior during a storm on November 10, 1975, with the loss of the entire crew of 29. Wikipedia
Length: 728′
Crew: 29
Depth of hold: 33 ft 4 in
Depth: 39 ft

Nicknamed the "Big Fitz" she could haul 26,000 tons of iron ore.
Gordon Lightfoot "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald": 

A story about the wreck: 

6aa093-20151106-fitzgerald04.jpg

Edmund_Fitzgerald,_1971,_3_of_4_(restored).jpg

fitzfrombluewater-geneocollection.jpg

GLSHS_Stern-1024x683.jpg