Do It Yourself Column

Joe in Canada

I got an email from a fellow forum member today about a source for steam bent bows asking if I was also interested. I tried to respond back to him but the email came back. Anyway I am a do it yourself kind of guy and I have bent white oak years ago on a wood boat project.  I remember years ago at Hershey a company called Oak Bows I think it was called that I have not seen for sum time. I ran into a vender a couple of years ago at Hershey that told me it used to be his family business. He was saying how the business had dropped off because lack of demand. 

Anyway here is a video on making your own bows for all you do it yourselfers  like me. Only thing I understand different than this video is to use green lumber as it bends with less chance of splitting.

• Like 4

They are about a mile away from me and are still in business in my town of Chambersburg. The owner told me it would be no problem for my 1925 Buick Standard Touring as they have the specs for them. I would love to give them some business but I still have to find the correct top sockets.

5a6fcf1badb8f_OakBows001.thumb.jpg.26247b461dfe8c9d4657ff5c6ce86faf.jpg

Here is a video on replacing the plastic on a steering wheel. The thing is once you have made the mold you can use it over again. So if you want make one for your buddy's car first then the next one will be better from experience for your car. Besides it will off set the cost of making the mold.

In regard to my YouTube video on steam bending the steering wheel, you may be interested to know that this 1929 Whippet 96A is almost finished. Attached is a picture of my brother and sister-law testing out the steering wheel. I originally bought the car from him for $1.00. The second picture is what he sold me.

image.png

DSCF0041.JPG

Edited by Arend
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Arend said:

In regard to my YouTube video on steam bending the steering wheel, you may be interested to know that this 1929 Whippet 96A is almost finished. Attached is a picture of my brother and sister-law testing out the steering wheel. I originally bought the car from him for $1.00. The second picture is what he sold me.

image.png

DSCF0041.JPG

That's perseverance for you. Well done Arend! I heartens me to see these basket cases resurrected.

Welcome to the forum and a great video on steam bending that you produced. Folks like yourself are far apart and few between with knowledge that you are willing to take the time and share. I believe with the economy the way it is that we may get younger folks interested in the older cars with a bit of guidance on restoring. With the cost on raising a family and paying for a house not many can afford a restoration shop. What you started with as a project and the end results is amazing.

Thanks Again Joe  

• 6 months later...