Interesting '53 Special with factory AC?

MrEarl

or is this a Super with AC. A Super would have the new V-8 though right.  All I DO know is that it's not as advertised IE a '54 Skylark

What say ye Al, an AC in either a '53 Special or Super is a pretty rare bird eh?  I'm suspecting aftermarket

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/d/1954-buick-skylark/6443594656.html

All original depicted in pictures 8 cylinder flat head factory ac. Vehicle does start and move please feel free to message me for more info.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

7 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Flathead??  What is with that. ?

5 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

Probably was thinking of the Olds motor. 

or doesn't know the difference between a flat head and a straight eight. I mean if he doesn't know the difference between a '54 Skylark and a '53 Special, you gotta wonder how can he even be in the business.

my main interest and point of curiosity is the AC, considering it was the first year for Buick AC, doubting they were even offered on Specials.

• Like 3

Buick didn't offer air conditioning on the 1953 Specials--they were still six volts and a straight eight. Also, this car lacks the air scoops on top of the rear fenders, which the other factory air-conditioned 1953-1955 Buicks have. I think A/C was only offered on the 1953 Roadmasters. Does anyone know if it was offered on the Supers in 1953?

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Consider these items.....

♦  Buick did not offer the Frigidaire (not General Electric) air conditioning system on any of the four 1953 Special 40-series models.....41D, 45R, 46C and 48D.....like others mentioned above.

Buick did not offer A.C. on all Super and Roadmaster models in 1953.

A.C. was not offered on the 1953 Super/Roadmaster Estate Wagons or Convertibles…..59, 79R, 56C, 76C, and 76X models respectively. 

A.C. was only offered on the 1953 Super/Roadmaster two-door hardtops and the Super/ Roadmaster four-door sedans…..56R, 76R, 52, and 72R models respectively.

The CL pictures definitely show the narrower 1953 Buick Special 41D four-door sedan. Noticeable from the rear, telltale differences between a 1953 Super 52 four-door sedan are the integral rear quarter panels on the CL-pictured Special and the rear bumper guard style.

The CL pictures appear to show the conductor tubes and the parcel shelf-mounted air grilles typical of an OE 1953 Buick trunk-mounted evaporator assembly.

Owner-installed outside air intake could have been achieved by a different method (not shown) other than the exterior rear quarter panel-mounted air scoops.

The CL ad does not say whether the Buick was converted to a 12-volt system.

It’s most likely this A.C. setup using OE 1953 Buick/Frigidaire parts was not installed when it rolled off the assembly line.  

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

“500 Miles West of Flint”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2018 at 7:44 AM, 1953mack said:

Consider these items.....

Items considered and noted Sir Al, not that I'll remember them the next time I see a '53 Special with clear plastic tubes in the rear tray mind ya.:unsure:

Thanks for your always expert advice Al.

I am tempted to email and ask for pictures of the engine just to possibly see the mounting of the compressor on a straight eight. I'm bettin Ben would like to see THAT too.

23 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

I am tempted to email and ask for pictures of the engine just to possibly see the mounting of the compressor on a straight eight. I'm bettin Ben would like to see THAT too.

DO IT!  I’d like to see that too. 

While you are at it, ask about that Olds for me. Wait... better not. We are at 17 over here, and I’m expecting #18 (Hint:  It’s BIG, blue, and powered by a 364) in a few weeks.  I’m officially out of parking spaces.