Update on Ron's cars..

nick8086

Ron & people like him with the same problem are NOT collectors. They are hoarders. Collectors take care of the items/cars they collect. Hoarders drag home any POS they find & leave it sit outside as an eyesore for the neighbors & public to view.

That said, I'm as happy as the next guy to mosey through a field of vintage tin, but as cities & towns expand outward, their rules, codes, & laws affect the collectors & hoarders. It's a fact of life.

I saw 2 lousy vehicles in those photos that would be of interest. The early 60's Chevy pickup & the Mustang. I'd buy them to flip, but only at scrap price or a little above & I would be helping Ron by eliminating 2 of his problems.

12 hours ago, nick8086 said:

Not sure why we can not help him.. Take 5 cars and store them. for free.. We have a lot of car collector in Michigan ..

Jake..

Sorry but I wouldn't help anyone store garbage on my property. That's all I saw except for the two vehicles George mentioned.

It is worth about $150 per month to store a car inside. I use extra storage frequently, cars dissolve in water, rain being a common source. I usually average $500 to $600 per car in maintenance and repairs per year on running cars in good condition as well as licensing and insurance. An idle, cared for, car is going to cost at least the storage of ~$1500 per year. How many and how long will anyone commit to?

Legal ownership needs to be established on each car saved. I legally transfer every car I buy into my name. In New York State that means I have to insure it and license to car. I usually buy 2 cars per year, there is another $300 each. Again, how many do you want to save and how much do you want to spend on a car without confirming it is legally yours?

Everything I do is not a sterling example of rationality, but I don't pick up the torch for some cause without some sense of what I am doing.

Bernie

"....now the boxy manual wagon is gone forever. What a cruel, cruel world we live in."

This sentiment over an 80's Volvo wagon? Please!

One has to wonder if this article was actually written tongue in cheek? ^_^

On 12/28/2017 at 2:45 PM, Bleach said:

Sorry but I wouldn't help anyone store garbage on my property. That's all I saw except for the two vehicles George mentioned.

We have a lot of junk just like him..

Not sure - I would help a guy out that was older than me.. .if he was near by.. 

My wife does not like the collecting until the numbers were put on paper..

The pin hole gas leak did not help my cause..

But that  is the ups and downs of parking a 63 year old car in the garage..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

It is worth about $150 per month to store a car inside. I use extra storage frequently, cars dissolve in water, rain being a common source. I usually average $500 to $600 per car in maintenance and repairs per year on running cars in good condition as well as licensing and insurance. An idle, cared for, car is going to cost at least the storage of ~$1500 per year. How many and how long will anyone commit to?

Legal ownership needs to be established on each car saved. I legally transfer every car I buy into my name. In New York State that means I have to insure it and license to car. I usually buy 2 cars per year, there is another $300 each. Again, how many do you want to save and how much do you want to spend on a car without confirming it is legally yours?

Everything I do is not a sterling example of rationality, but I don't pick up the torch for some cause without some sense of what I am doing.

Bernie

Are you saying that if you buy a project car, you have to insure and license it? I understand transfer of title, but do you need to get a plate at the same time?

Correct. In New York State the full process of transferring a car includes it. Even paperwork from a dealer purchase has an expiration date requiring the purchase of a plate, 60 days.

If you drive into New York State on RT90 from the west, there is a big sign "Welcome to New York. Pay Here".

AND THE PLATE IS FOR TWO YEARS.

Bernie

Actually prices on 80's Volvo's are steadily climbing. They really are extremely good , simple to maintain cars. I am not saying they all should be saved as drivers , but even rough ones have value as parts cars. The manual trans by itself is worth substantially more than the scrap value of the whole car.

Greg

4 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Actually prices on 80's Volvo's are steadily climbing. They really are extremely good , simple to maintain cars. I am not saying they all should be saved as drivers , but even rough ones have value as parts cars. The manual trans by itself is worth substantially more than the scrap value of the whole car.

Greg

Well Greg,

Have at it. Ron may have a Volvo gold mine there.

15 hours ago, nick8086 said:

We have a lot of junk just like him..

Not sure - I would help a guy out that was older than me.. .if he was near by.. 

My wife does not like the collecting until the numbers were put on paper..

The pin hole gas leak did not help my cause..

But the is the ups and downs of parking a 63 years car in the garage..

If he was near by me and I knew him, I would try to help him liquidate everything. By now he is probably unable to do anything constructive with any of the cars. Getting everything sold off for the most money possible would be the best thing in this situation.

My wife is very much against my collecting of vehicles I would seldom use which is why I got rid of anything that would sit outside and rot. I could not be without an antique vehicle which is why I bought my well maintained low mileage 56 Fairlane and keep it in my garage. I look after it regularly and have avoided any nuisances that could annoy my wife.

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Well Greg,

Have at it. Ron may have a Volvo gold mine there.

Distance is a bit of a problem, Ron's cars are 2400 miles and an international border  each way away from me. Not really a practical distance for a parts car. However not everyone lives at the edge of the known world like I do.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)