AACA Badge for Model T

CatBird

I think I have asked this question somewhere but can't remember exactly where. At a time in my life memories get lost in "senior moments" so let's resurrect and create new memories! Seems like I am often meeting new people, but know them from somewhere. Sorta joking..... 

Ever happen to you?

One of our first antique cars is a 1923 Model T Depot Hack aka Club Car. These were acquired to bring passengers to and for train depots. A chassis was bought from Ford and a body installed. Like a few of our other cars. This body was made by Martin-Perry & Co of golden oak. Seems original.

My wife, Anne adores the car! She absolutely insisted on getting it. She drives it very well. A wife, who also knows the difference in a socket wrench and an open end wrench; and adores antique cars - is treasured and I am very lucky!

A badge is affixed. See picture. Does anyone know when the badge was awarded?

7.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

10.jpg

13418953_1428105827214827_464502781928424761_n.jpg

IMG_0434 (1).JPG

11.JPG

• Like 2

Yes, You asked this same question before. 

From Steve Moskowitz's reply, there is no way of determining when it was awarded because the current engine/serial number of your car does not appear in the AACA database. The car has probably had an engine change since the award was won, or else there was a data entry problem somewhere. Current awards have the year awarded on them, but for some time in the past, the awards did not include the year. 

18 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Yes, You asked this same question before. 

From Steve Moskowitz's reply, there is no way of determining when it was awarded because the current engine/serial number of your car does not appear in the AACA database. The car has probably had an engine change since the award was won, or else there was a data entry problem somewhere. Current awards have the year awarded on them, but for some time in the past, the awards did not include the year. 

Thanks for reminding me. Couldn't remember where and when I asked the question. Maybe some more information may be posted?

I just had a flashback, not a senior moment, the memory is too vivid. Grimy can ask Tony next time they get together.

001.thumb.jpg.bda466ee6a634d9c2c2e295cd0a54215.jpg

This is what was sitting on the other side of the depot by the freight loading dock.

It was one of two cars that sat in storage for a while. I was charged with getting both running, what is going on in the picture. Then I had to learn how to drive it.

The vivid memory is how after I learned how to drive it through town I tried to teach my friend who owned it. In the end neither of us got the hang of the high-low shift without applying the brakes. He did a lot worse that I and I really can't remember laughing so hard. I think the only thing that made me laugh harder was watching the frightened monkey ride in the saddle of the jumping dog at the circus.

We drove it one time, parked it in the garage, and it was sold to a construction contractor the next week.

I'm thinking about that load of kids riding with US driving them.

If anyone recognizes the truck PM me. I know more.

Bernie

Maybe work backwards through owners names or cities - start with who you got the truck from - then keep going back?

Someone might respond with a "hey that looks like John Doe's Depot Hack, I was parked next to him at Hershey in 1970," etc etc.

We had a 1931 Chevrolet, (common car,) eventually found 3 previous owners of it just by asking car people from the area we got the car from.

You never know.

It's possible the tag was from another car and someone put it on this one for some added prestige. Not that the car isn't/wasn't worthy, but it's a thought. I saw those same oil/water/gas cans recently on another car. They are really neat pieces and add greatly to the vintage look and function!

19 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Assuming your Martin Parry (York, PA) tag is authentic yours must be one of the relatively few Depot Hacks that aren't later recreations.

Seems very old. Certainly not a re-creation! Martin Perry website thinks it is original.

16 hours ago, Frantz said:

It's possible the tag was from another car and someone put it on this one for some added prestige. Not that the car isn't/wasn't worthy, but it's a thought. I saw those same oil/water/gas cans recently on another car. They are really neat pieces and add greatly to the vintage look and function!

You have a good eye. The tag is from another historic car license plate collector. The oil, water, gas cans seem very authentic and I added them as well as the license plate.

I only have the owner I bought it from. I can supply this. He had the car for 40 years. I got nothing from him but a Bill of Sale. He got seller's remorse and wanted it back. Of course, I refused. We are not in contact. Ever happen to any of you? :)

I have had it both ways, sellers remorse and buyers remorse. If it was a good buy or a bad buy I guess that is how we learn. Buying a vehicle with a bill of sale only is just asking for trouble. I know from a bad experience.

I recently sold a vehicle that I had for 35 years, and I made sure that the new owner had copies of every receipt, and notes covering every piece of research relating to the car. The new owner (in his 20's) and his dad were as excited as I was when I first purchased the auto many years ago.

Pass the torch in a rewarding way! 

• Like 1

Everyone talks of sellers and buyers remorse, but how about sellers glee?

I contacted the fellow who owned my Cord phaeton in the 1960's.  He never understood the mechanics of the car, hated it, and said one of the happiest days of his life was the day he sold it!

Different strokes and all that....

6 hours ago, caddyshack said:

I have had it both ways, sellers remorse and buyers remorse. If it was a good buy or a bad buy I guess that is how we learn. Buying a vehicle with a bill of sale only is just asking for trouble. I know from a bad experience.

I recently sold a vehicle that I had for 35 years, and I made sure that the new owner had copies of every receipt, and notes covering every piece of research relating to the car. The new owner (in his 20's) and his dad were as excited as I was when I first purchased the auto many years ago.

Pass the torch in a rewarding way! 

Oops. are we related? <grin> it is best to get the paperwork complete whether leaving the toilet or a seller or buyer. All the same. Ask to see the file before signing the check!  it under your seat and sit on it! Same with any Manuals. You will be sure and you will sit a little taller. If the seller says he needs copies. Ask for a list and you will mail these to him. 

You are settling a divorce in many ways. When it is over. It IS over. Try to maintain happy feelings, but not usually likely.

I paid too much for a Nickle Era Car. The seller had it for 20 years. I really liked the car and paid about $5000 more than I should. He knew that.AFTER the sale, I asked for any manuals he had collected. He offered to sell them to me for $500, at least twice as much. I remembered that he had a lot of extra parts in his garage. He told me that he had put them out on the street about an hour ago. I told him I could come by and pick anything left. He further stated that the "City" had already picked them up and all were gone. I asked if the "City" had come by in less than 30 minutes. He suggested I stay out of his neighborhood.

I had bought his only car and he was near 90 and planned to buy any more cars. But he stuck to his price and was very, let's say an A$$hole about it. I asked if his wife could please let me know when he passed and I could dance on his grave!

Well, I really did not do that, but I thought about and watched the obituaries.