Chimera

Some bad info in this auction description but this car is the real deal. Buick produced 200 MZ engines in `66 installing only 21 in Wildcat GS cars...the `66 Wildcat GS Super Wildcat is the rarest dual quad Nailhead Buick produced! I own and have encountered a handful of MZ Riviera cars but NEVER an MZ equipped `66 Wildcat GS ! If anyone knows of such a car please send me a PM, thanks,

Tom Mooney

Interesting car.  Do you leave as is or restore it?  You are right Tom, some bad info about GS history in general but this car looks to be well documented.  Note how the lower right front fender molding doesn't line up with the door.  I know this has been discussed on this forum in the past but at least GM was consistent!!  This is a nice find.  

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, Pat Curran said:

Interesting car.  Do you leave as is or restore it?  You are right Tom, some bad info about GS history in general but this car looks to be well documented.  Note how the lower right front fender molding doesn't line up with the door.  I know this has been discussed on this forum in the past but at least GM was consistent!!  This is a nice find.  

The car was repainted years ago and not the best job. So from a survivor type perspective, certainly someone could repaint it without worrying about destroying original paint. The car certainly could be left as-is with some detailing and attendance to maintenance to insure its reliability. Considering the low mileage, I'd probably detail, preventive maintenance, and leave as-is. The older paint job would better match the rest of cars condition if left as-is vs a nice shiny new paint job.

And yea, seller would have done well to take good quality pics of the "money shot" (engine less air cleaner). To me the car is worth the $40k opening bid all day long especially with low mileage and that level of documentation.......assuming an MZ is on bucket list because they just don't show up in this condition with buckets and console. If a buyer would be satisfied with another Riviera model(s) then $40k is way too much. Bad pic of original spare as the extremely rare original 8.45x15 red line doesn't look red but I know it is red from seeing other pictures of it.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I notice that the moldings that surrounded the original vinyl roof remain in place on the rear roof pillars.  I'm curious whether most folks would leave the car "as is", or replace the original vinyl roof to conform to the car's window sticker, historic photos, and Fisher Body data plate.  Personally, I'd be inclined to add the vinyl roof to replicate the car's original configuration.

• Like 1

Lets thank Mr. Harold Williams for being caretaker of this tremendous vehicle. What a story, being winner and one owner. Hats off.

Will be a fine gift regardless of price. If I'm not away at work I can go check this gem out for someone serious about it. If it truly is now in Florida as listed.

May Mr. Williams rest in peace.

http://www.whitlockmortuary.net/obituaries.aspx?turl=http://hosting-25737.tributes.com/obituary/show/harold-james-williams-102776080

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

66 and 67 Rivieras with vinyl tops had a different valance under the rear window than cars w/o vinyl tops.  The valance on the vinyl topped car was stamped to look like vinyl then painted to match the top.  If the person who tore off the vinyl top did not switch out this valance, you'd for sure want to put the vinyl top back on. Otherwise, that stamped valance is going to look really out of place.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, rivgs said:

To all, when did Buick change the trunk material from tan to dark gray?  I would have thought that by March the switch was done, but perhaps I am wrong.

Kevin,

The change was very late. I've only seen 2 66s confirmed original black trunk material  and they both had June build dates. I've seen numerous 66s with May build dates and they were tan....but I have no confirmed pics of trunk on a 05D build. Just 05C and earlier.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

According to the current owner who bought it from the nephew of Mr Williams after his passing, the top was removed and painted but not the whole car.  There is a receipt to match that statement.

The car spent it's entire life under a car port and not in a garage.  The low milage is documented as is the entire car.  AS a lifetime 1966 Buick guy, this is the most documented 66 Buick I have ever come across, period  The only document not present is the build sheet, and hopefully that is in the car somewhere.  But with all of the other documentation along with the August 66 Sales Master Record I have, who needs it.  This car is the "REAL DEAL" folks although not as pristine as it could have been had it been in a garage.  The present owner is a Corvette guy and has the presence of mind to only maintain this car as opposed to changing anything in the time he has owned it.

I go back to post #11 where Jason says it would look better with a vinyl top put back on. The moldings at the top of the A pillar and those along the sail panels look totally out of place without a vinyl top.  Too bad there's not a good picture of the valance under the rear window.  If it's the one that came with the vinyl top, then for sure a top needs to be installed adding a lot to the curb appeal.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)