WATER PUMP 1940 BUICK SPECIAL PROBLEMS

buick special

I test started and drove the car up and down the driveway

it had no exhaust system just the manifold

shifted great and went smoothly in forward and reverse directions

I had it idle for appx 1/2 hour and it went to temp 180 - 200 and stayed there

although it was loud I could hear an intermittent clangity clang clang noise from the front

eventually I heard a squeal then a very fine mist was coming from the front being blown back by the fan

I could slightly wobble the fan so assume from all the above that the water pump is kaput

am I correct that the water pump is bad? can it be salvaged?

I had flushed the system prior to the test and took out the thermostat (which was covered in rust)

I wanted to grease it also before doing a test but found no grease nipple on it

Yes, you can. I have a 40 Super, and have had mine out too many times. If you are careful you can remove and replace with the fan on.

Steps:

1. Drain system

2. Take lower radiator hose off of pump

3. Remove upper hose completely

4. Unhook heater hoses from pump and bypass and loosen top bypass hose clamp

5. Unbolt and remove bypass and thermostat housing (2 bolts, 1 short, 1 long)

6. Put cardboard on back of radiator to protect

7. Loosen generator and take belt off of fan pulley

8. Loosen all 3 bolts holding on pump

9. Remove inner bolt on pump block connection, loosen outer to just before coming out

10. Remove pump center bolt, you will have to rotate fan to clear

11. Make sure pump has broken loose, then while holding fan with one hand remove the outer block connection bolt

12. Carefully lift and twist pump and fan assembly up and over top of engine. Having a helper on this step will make it easier

Reverse to reinstall

Cheers, Dave

29 minutes ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Yes, you can. I have a 40 Super, and have had mine out too many times. If you are careful you can remove and replace with the fan on.

Steps:

1. Drain system

9. Remove inner bolt on pump block connection, loosen outer to just before coming out

11. Make sure pump has broken loose, then while holding fan with one hand remove the outer block connection bolt

12. Carefully lift and twist pump and fan assembly up and over top of engine. Having a helper on this step will make it easier

Reverse to reinstall

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave;

Thank you for the information and wonderful instructions , It will make it so much easier with this information

AJ

Long Island , New York?  Is that a foreign country?:rolleyes:

Seriously, there is a small family place down in central Texas that does a good water pump rebuild. Quick and reasonable.  For my 1950 a year ago was $125.00.  Terrell Machine in DeLeon TX.  Phone 254 893 2610.  None better.

Ben

P.S.   I have been on LI more times than I can remember in a cross country moving truck. Actually, first trip in 1972 I loaded out there somewhere.

Hi AJ,

Another place is "The Flying Dutchman Waterpumps" in Selma Oregon..  http://water-pump-rebuilders.com/ .  They did my pump for a 37 320 and I thought the price, quality and turn around were very good.  One thing about this shop is that they use modern cartrige bearings and impellers. Much more reliable than the origional system. They clean, machine, install new parts and paint your origional pump. From the outside it looks exactly origional.  Just another option for you.

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C (see edit history)

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Steps:

1. Drain system

Reverse to reinstall

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave ;

I may attempt this today or Wednesday

I forgot to ask if you have a diagram or picture of the pump so I can see what to do in advance before doing it on the car?

also what is the bypass?

and pump block ,,,,, is that a separate item or another name for the pump body?

AJ

Hi Guys

I just came back in after doing it , job took 15 minutes to pop it off

God bless Buick designers and engineers for such an easy removal.

I had nightmares of doing this job from my memories of doing it on a modern car 

only thing that took a minute to figure out was the position of one removal bolt as I could not find it at first

then saw it and whoosh off it came

Edited by buick special (see edit history)

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:13 PM, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

Hi AJ,

Another place is "The Flying Dutchman Waterpumps" in Selma Oregon..  http://water-pump-rebuilders.com/ .  They did my pump for a 37 320 and I thought the price, quality and turn around were very good.  One thing about this shop is that they use modern cartrige bearings and impellers. Much more reliable than the origional system. They clean, machine, install new parts and paint your origional pump. From the outside it looks exactly origional.  Just another option for you.

Hi Guys

Here is a youtube video of flying Dutchman water pumps