What Make?

sunroofcord

23 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Looks Pontiac-ish to me. Probably a 1932.

It does look like a 1932 Pontiac, but the ornament and grille on the car in question baffle me....it looks to have the letter "G" on the ornament. No cowl lights on the Pontiac, but has fender mounted parking lights.

1932 Pontiac.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I agree with the `32 Pontiac, hood doors and the spear detail on the front fenders are Pontiac. Head lights and stands are different than the Pontiac and grille shell is quite thicker, plus the ribs of the insert are horizontal instead of vertical. Looks like the lower sides of the shell have been trimmed to fit between the fenders. Is that an 8 on the crank hole cover?

48 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I saw General Motors car listed in my list of car names, but I couldn't find any photos. GOOD ONE! Thank you. That one was bugging me.

With benefit of hindsight it is there in The Standard Catalog., including the note - Pontiac-like appearance in 1933 and 1934. I wonder which engine it has. The smaller GMC trucks used the split head Pontiac engine around 1929ish. Looking at the picture ad above it says the engines were all ohv. I can see that the 257 and 331 are 1930 Buick six cylinder engines, and the 221 is the 1931 Buick Series 50 eight cylinder engine. The 331 was used in some of the rear engined buses.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Dosmo asks a good question. But I'll bet that, since these cars were intended for use as taxi cabs, I'll bet the survival rate was extremely low. So even if production numbers were significant, I'll bet there are VERY few of them extant. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...