Ford Model A delivery truck

TerryB

This is a photo we found of my wife's great uncle standing next to his model A delivery truck he had for his general store in Pine Dale PA in Schuylkill County.  Photo was dated as 1931.  He sold appliances as well as other general store merchandise.  Note his deformed leg.  We have pics of him on a motorcycle so it must have not had much effect on him.  The 1964 Plymouth I used to own was the last car he owned before he passed.

Terry

IMG_1007.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Atwater Kent stuff was the high end product of the day from what I have read.  I hope digital photo users remember to make physical copies else cool stuff like this will be lost to future generations.

Terry

My dad was the radio collector. He had more than 200 of them (mostly earlier than 1935) ranging from 1919 until about 1960. I tinkered with a few of them myself, and listened when he talked about them.

As I recall, Atwater Kent did make some wonderful high end quality radios. But mostly, they are well known for the metal box radios from about 1927 through maybe '31. They were often called the "model T of the radio world" by collectors. A good value, affordable to the masses. One needs to remember that radio technology was growing by leaps and bounds in the '20s. A new state of the art radio was generally obsolete within two years through most of the decade.

This is a wonderful photograph. A terrific blending of two of the technologies of that incredible era. The (by then) well established automobile. And the just really becoming common throughout the land, radio. Which in turn led to so many other technologies over the next 3/4 century. Not to forget, computers and the internet, upon which we get to share this photograph.

Wonderful photo!

Wonderful A.  This was Ford's first effort at a Panel truck and they are not easily found.  More common is the tudor sedan body style with the rear side windows filled in.   I believe one of these is currently advertised for sale on ebay - item number is  152610250876.   I have a friend in North Carolina who also recently purchased one in largely unrestored condition.

Terry

As someone who is a fan of sedan delivery and panel delivery vehicles, I really like the subject Model A Delivery vehicle.  If it's built on an automobile or sedan frame, I guess it could be considered an early sedan delivery vehicle; however, if it's built on a truck chassis, I would think that it would qualify as a panel delivery.  What frame/chassis was the subject vehicle based upon?  It sure looks like a standard Model A sedan frame/wheelbase to me, but I'm no Model A expert (as much as I like them).

What say you, Model A Guys?

Cheers,

Grog

I guess you could really consider Fords first effort at a panel truck to be the 1912 C cab, commonly referred to as the "pie wagon."  It was not a big success and as I understand it, there were a lot of the bodies left over that were either scrapped or sold off to other manufacturers.   It wasn't until this one in 29 that Ford decided to get back into the panel truck business.   I really like the looks of these.

Terry

15 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Standard Model A chassis, the AA trucks had larger wheels and longer wheelbase. Bob

If it's mounted on a standard Model A chassis, shouldn't it technically be called a "sedan delivery"?   Perhaps that term hadn't been coined as early as 1931.

Cheers,

Grog

Ford did have a "Sedan Delivery" as well as the Panel Delivery. Sedan delivery had one rear door and a body that looked like a Tudor Sedan. The Panel Delivery in the OP's photo had two rear doors and a taller inside, both were on the same chassis. Bob