METZ 22 Museum Quality 1913 for sale

Guest CAB2500

Guest CAB2500

I am looking for an appraisal for my great uncles Metz 22. He purchased it at a museum auction in 1998 in SC. The unit has spent the last 19 years in another museum in STL and a short time in a climate controlled garage. The unit has never has fuel or oil in it. I have been told it is 100% original and in perfect shape. He wants to sell it and is looking for information on an appraisal and leads on any buyers. Any help would be great appreciated! Thank you!

20170627_173341.jpg

20170627_173405.jpg

20170627_173600.jpg

20170627_173415.jpg

Neat car that looks in decent  older restored condition. I am not totally familiar with Metz 22's, but will offer a nutural opinion. Overall the market the car trades in is currently soft. It would be described as a starter or entery  level car in its class. Depending on modifications, and I have no idea if it is totally correct, or a modified body, the market price will be affected. The cars value was probably higher in 98 when he purchased it. If he bought it at or below market value then, there still may not be any gain as far as value. If it's running and driving it will be much easier to sell. Not running most people consider a 30 to 40 percent discount. I would only sell it running. Which may cost you some out of pocket expense, but definitely worth the investment. As to value, it's a big spread, but not being a Metz guy, anywhere from 10 to 30 depending on if it's running, and how correct it is. With the market soft, there are higher horsepower cars(more collectable) for not much more money than the Metz will bring. Although a nice car, It won't be an easy sale. Take you time, get informed and educated on Metz cars, and then offer it for sale. Your asking in the right place, and you may even get an offer from a member here.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Knowledgeable car fans know that a car kept in a museum

or other dead storage for years and years will likely have thousands

of dollars (if not tens of thousands of dollars) worth of needs.

Sorry to say, "museum quality" is not a desirable term, and it

does not mean that a car is perfect!

The price must account, in some manner, for the internal deterioration

that comes from inactivity;  but if fairly priced, I think your Metz

will be appreciated by someone.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

From the photos posted, this car is missing the engine bottom cover, chain covers and (maybe) the transmission cover. Also, there is no windscreen. The car is the wrong color (should be dark blue with cream-colored wheels), but then most of them are. The Metz cars have an engine very like a Model T (except with a more standard magneto), so you should be able to get it going. I think George is on-target with value, but it could go $15-19k or more if it runs and drives.

• Like 1

With the feedback here, and I know some of the people who commented, I would recommend you get it running, and understand it's not complete. Then come up with a price. Is going to be on the lower end of my estimate IF it runs. It's not uncommon for people to have been told the car is "perfect" and then find out what you have. Good luck, Ed

I like the Ford pickup in the background!

Good luck on your sale.

:)

Certainly not a correct restoration with the natural finished wheels, that crazy red horn and fancy varnished woodwork at the back end.  I have to agree with everyone else here so far, it's not 100% correct and far from perfect.   Typical of cars that were "fixed up" for display in the many roadside museums around the country that cropped up in the 50s.   That was the way things were done back then though.  Cute car but should be priced appropriately.

Was speaking with an old car buddy recently who lamented that some cars of the teens and twenties may eventually become so out of fashion and demand that they can't hardly be given away.  As their usability and popularity fade, the price drops off the cliff!   I think George is about right on his guestimate.  Please don't try to get it running unless you know what you are doing.  sometimes more harm than good is done to early vehicles buy trying to squeeze a few more bucks because "it runs."

Terry

That silly looking horn is likely correct. Metz did use one like that on some (not all) model 22s. Other things (colors, finish, that back seat!)? Other people have already mentioned.

Except, I am pretty sure that the front axle is on upside-down.

CAB2500, I hope you take all of the posts as constructive criticism, and an attempt to help you determine value.  It's not meant as an "attack" on the vehicle, it's just that there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, and they point out good and bad trying to help you determine value.

This car is accurately described as "museum condition", meaning it may display well in a museum setting, but it has a few issues, and running condition is unknown.  As such, I too feel the $10-12,000 range is correct for a small horsepower, museum quality, brass car, not running and with a  few condition issues.

If you decide to move forward with a sale, set the price, and advertise it here, on the HCCA website, and on PreWarCar, and you'll likely find a buyer.  Good luck!