Dupont

alsancle

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

The 140 HP was a pipe dream. Maybe 115, maybe.

Eddy, you are not as appreciative of the Dupont as you should be.  Those Continentals were completely torn down and rebuilt to higher spec by Dupont.  140 may be a bit high, but everybody was guilty of that including Duesenberg.

I like your new avatar. I have played around with one of the DuPont cars, (speedster) they look nice. I would like to own one. They float my boat in many ways, but as a chassis and platform, I am underwhelmed. Think early Auburn eight, and toss on a very heavy body in the Waterhouse instance. The carburation and ignition were Stude President in their approach. I would call them good lower to mid range chassis of the era for their level of quaility as compared to most other Classics. I have recently inspected the Waterhouse car, it seems to be a twenty year old restoration that has been driven several thousand miles. The body seems to overpower the chassis. I like it, and would own it in a heartbeat. I think the biggest reason it suffers the way it does is production was almost nil. Put the body on a 385 CID Pierce, Packard, or Chrysler, and the engine and chassis upgrades look substantial. Ed

• Like 1

On 11/1/2017 at 1:24 AM, pughs said:

DCP_0418.thumb.JPG.a8bdb5e53b7695e9e10ee13e702e5fcf.JPG

Here are a couple of photos of a 1930 DuPont that I had for a time while selling it for the family of a friend who passed away.DCP_0522.thumb.JPG.d41317c94360d2aa52af0f6aa2c64597.JPG 

I thought this Dupont had a really good look to it in the Dark Brown (all be it's re-restoration is much more flashy and shows off the body lines more) a really good period look - fell in love with it when featured on CCCA magazine cover eons ago.

• 1 month later...

A few more comments on the Waterhouse from the CCCA article:

1.  The gentleman that restored it the first time bought it in the early 50s when he was still a kid.  He went to look at a car that was supposed to be a 540k but ended up bring a K, but this was sitting nearby.  He owned it a long time.

2.  It was built for the 32 NY autoshow and was shown along with the only 2 model H DuPont's built.

3.  There are no other known Waterhouse Victoria survivors.

4. Originally it was all brown.

• 11 months later...

West, I saw the car you photographed while it was under restoration in Steve Babinsky's shop in Lebanon, NJ several years ago. It was a solid car to begin with and the choice of colors etc just work so well and do not over power the really great lines of the car. To me, it looks exactly like the car would have /could have appeared when new.  Great restraint was show to not add a lot of period accessories and overload it . Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

Walt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

This  Convertible Coupe  is a close  parallel/equivalent, though do not know its story.

Is that in the AACA museum?   There was a coupe at one of the Boca Raton shows I was at and we were parked in the same circle as it.  It surprisingly got very little attention, but I guess being parked next to a J, CL, couple of PA 12 coupes, etc,  made it look small.

40 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Anyone want to play guess the hammer price on the car coming up for sale at RM in Saint Louis?

Yikes, this is a tough one to guess price https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/gc19/the-guyton-collection/lots/r0037-1930-du-pont-model-g-convertible-victoria-by-waterhouse/750681 - super rare car, very attractive body, very older restore with older restored extensive updating to that, decent market exists for it and they never come up for sale, but for some reason I do not think it will 1MM plus like this Stutz https://rmsothebys.com/am16/amelia-island/lots/1931-stutz-dv-32-convertible-victoria-by-rollston/1078714 .  I am thinking 775-825K

• 4 weeks later...