Dupont

alsancle

My editorial commentary on the coupe is that the Lalique hood ornament is a crime against the car.   I would lose the sidemount mirrors and covers too.    It needs a set of Bedford tires but I could love with the ones on it.     All and all a very cool car.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looks like the convertible coupe at Hymans is going to World Wide.

https://worldwideauctioneers.com/listings/auburn-auction-2021/1929-dupont-model-g-waterhouse-convertible-coupe

Selling on Saturday

CHASSIS NO: G1337

• Formerly of the Tom duPont Collection
• Beautiful custom coachwork by the famed Waterhouse Company
• Classic Car Club of America Full Classic®
• Delivered new to jazz musician and singer, Nick Lucas
• Twice displayed at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance

Documents

Lot 64 Build Sheet.pdf

322 cid Continental straight-eight L-head engine, Warner four-speed manual tranmission, semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear, four-wheel Lockheed hydraulic brakes; wheelbase: 140”

The duPont automobile was produced by Delaware munitions magnate E. Paul duPont who, after World War I in 1919, repurposed his Wilmington marine engine factory to build high quality automobiles. They were assembled cars, meaning that they were composed largely of mass-produced components, but were distinguished by using only the finest materials available, including Continental inline eight-cylinder engines, and by being built with the greatest of care. Especially noteworthy were the gorgeous bodies produced for the chassis by the East Coast’s finest coachbuilders, attracting the attention of a “who’s who” of Jazz Age celebrities who became duPont owners, including Will Rogers, Jack Dempsey, and actress Mary Pickford, who bought a Speedster for her husband, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

In 1929, duPont introduced its most famous and best-selling car, the Model G. It utilized a 322 cubic-inch eight-cylinder L-head engine produced by Continental and was offered in no fewer than 16 body options by prestigious coachbuilders including Merrimac, Derham, and Waterhouse. duPont also participated in motorsports, entering a Model G four-seat tourer in the 1929 Le Mans 24-hour race. Despite showing promise, it proved to be duPont’s final production car before receivers took over after just 273 Model Gs and 3 Model H chassis were produced. As with many of their contemporaries, the onset of the Great Depression sealed duPont Motors’ fate, and despite their financial standing, the duPont family saw no reason to keep a money-losing enterprise afloat. By the time duPont Motors entered bankruptcy in 1932, approximately 537 cars in total had been produced. Relatively few have survived, and the majority of these are held in the long-term ownership of the duPont family or in museums.

Of the 273 Model Gs produced, just 18 came with this handsome Convertible Coupe coachwork by Waterhouse Company of Webster, Massachusetts and it is purported to be one of only two survivors. This car, chassis number G-937, is the final of the series built and was delivered new via the Philadelphia duPont agency to the musician Nick Lucas. A multi-talented jazz instrumentalist and singer, Lucas enjoyed a long career in music and movies from the early 1920s through the 1950s and beyond. He was also a connoisseur of duPont automobiles, having owned at least two other Model Gs. The accompanying factory build records confirm this is a genuine Waterhouse convertible coupe, with equipment including a four-speed transmission, Schebler carburetor, 100 mph Waltham speedometer and a trunk rack. As delivered, it featured an all-black livery with Espania Red wheels and Bedford cord trim.

How many years Mr. Lucas owned this duPont is unclear, but it was acquired in the mid-1990s by famed automobile afficianado and successful publisher, Mr. Tom duPont. Mr. duPont commissioned a comprehensive and accurate restoration in anticipation of this cars debut at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Mr. duPont sold the car to the consignor in 2014 and it was immediately sent to L’Cars Automotive Specialties, LLC in Wisconsin for a mechanical inspection where all components were addressed and corrected as needed. One of the featured marques at the 2015 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance was duPont and this particular Waterhouse made its 2nd appearance on the lawn among other significant duPont automobiles it also participated in the Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance.

As presented today, it displays superb panel fit and paint quality with exquisite detailing and finish work. This Model G rides on wire wheels, including the dual sidemounted spares, with blackwall tires. It is equipped with the aforementioned luggage rack and, of course, a golf club door. The interior has been fully restored in black leather, and it is authentically detailed with an engine-turned instrument panel, duPont-branded gauges, and a charming Waltham clock. The original eight-cylinder engine is highly detailed and carefully restored to its original specification. The overall presentation is outstanding, befitting of a high-level concours restoration that included the still present placement of the duPont family Coat of Arms Crest on each door.

Total duPont Motors production was just over 500 making each and every duPont a rarity. These very special cars are seldom offered for sale, and Worldwide Auctioneers is proud to present an exciting opportunity to acquire one of the great cars of the Classic Era.

1.jpg

• Thanks 1

"Oh yes, indeed.   The DuPont is a good automobile with fine quality coachwork...though, you know, it is an 'assembled' car.  After all, they don't manufacture their own engines as our (Packard, Pierce-Arrow, Cadillac, Lincoln, Stutz, etc) do in our own factory as well as most all other major components.  DuPont has the same engine as the Graham-Paige, and now we understand Peerless as well.   Our exacting manufacturing methods and standards ensure your motorcar will be the highest quality delivering complete satisfaction and protect your investment in the future"

Intoned in the dulcet, mellifluous, yet haughty voice of the sales consultants in the showrooms of the 'true' luxury' motorcars when the potential clients expressed considering a DuPont for purchase. 

Assembled but tuned and expensive.  DuPont would hand assemble each engine to a much higher specification than other applications of continental engines.  Not to mention mechanical improvements designed by their engineering team.

I would Love one.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

Assembled but tuned and expensive.  DuPont would hand assemble each engine to a much higher specification than other applications of continental engines.  Not to mention mechanical improvements designed by their engineering team.

I would Love one.

Me too!  With a Waterhouse sport sedan body, please.  See, I could have been one of those snooty, luxury car sales consultants back in the era.   Well, those 'assembled cars'...you know...just like a Jordan...or a Durant, for heaven sakes!

• 2 weeks later...

Graham-Paige only used Continental assembled engines in 1928 (eights only), after that they had Continental cast Graham-Paige designed blocks, and did all the machine work in house.  Coincidently 322cid in 1928 and 29 and 30.  1930-1 was a 298.6 cid, then the 245cid Blue Streak 8 (Bohnalite Aluminum Head) and the finally the 265.4 Supercharged eight, the Cannonball Run Engine 53 hours and 30 minutes New York City to Los Angeles, alone, no BS multiple drivers.  That is 3,224 miles averaging 60.26mph in a 1933 Graham Model 64 sedan.

1929.jpg.bfe928eb71788d47e8b7439855d28e57.jpg  

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Graham Man

That was the Continental 322 ci, 14K, the DuPont Model G, Jordan Speedway Z, Davis 89, Elcar 130 & 140,  1931 Mercer prototype, Peerless; 1929 8-125 listed it as 12K, Peerless 1930-32 Master and Custom Eights 8 the 13K , S&S Lakewood, the 15K, all in that common size and family of engines.  Continental would provide anywhere from the basic block casting through short block and long block assembled to completely operation engines ready to install.  Those of common bore and stroke have basic design similarities and can share internal parts but were custom fitted in details to the customer specifications.

Considering how many automakers in general sourced their engine blocks from outside foundries, it humorous that when the public knew an engine might not be completely built in-house they labeled the make 'an assembled car'.   The roots of that attitude came from the public getting burned on assembled cars that weren't up to the engineering and durability standards of makes such as Graham.  Of course, the sales forces of the makers that did build their own engines completely or appeared to, fostered and promoted that 'assembled' cars were inferior in some way.   Typical sales talk.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

From the AACA speedster magazine that just came in my email.

2022 AACA Zenith Award Winner Crowned

1929 Du Pont wins “Restoration of the Year”

By Richard Lentinello, 2022 Zenith Judging Team,

AACA has selected a 1929 Du Pont for its 2022 Zenith Award winner. Owned by Lammot J. du Pont of McLean, Virginia, this automobile is one of only 25 Model G Club Sedans ever built and is one of only a handful of Du Pont automobiles known to exist today.

Under its hand-crafted body by the Merrimac Body Company, the limited production Du Pont was well known for its superb engineering, outstanding performance and distinctive styling. Power is provided by a 322-cubic-inch Continental inline-eight engine producing 125 horsepower.

This particular Du Pont started out as a total basket case that was little more than a parts car. After several years of research and meticulous craftsmanship by its talented restorers, it rightfully earned the AACA’s coveted Zenith Award for 2022.

This prestigious award recognizes the very best automobile restoration for its overall quality, authenticity and rarity. The 13 automobiles that competed for this year’s Zenith Award, held at the AACA Grand Nationals in Virginia Beach, Virginia, May 20-21, 2022, were selected from each of the AACA National shows in 2021. Only one vehicle can be crowned “Restoration of the Year,” and this stunningly restored 1929 Du Pont clearly deserved that honor. 

“Despite tough competition from each of the vehicles nominated, the Du Pont exemplified the Zenith Award as the finest restoration of the year and will wear that title well. The competing cars and owners were first-class – a real testament to the fine spirit of the hobby,” stated Tom Cox, AACA Board VP and the founder of the Zenith program. 

unnamed.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

The Du Pont Model G at the 2022 AACA SE Spring National in Charlotte in April, where the captivating Club Sedan won its Senior.

9EC4D38B-D4EA-489D-A049-444823AB0884.jpeg.770eafcfffca131b703f04b8d7197060.jpeg

78952938-DE4A-4036-B559-3F5EFD473A3E.jpeg.d08a2f7631480ab1c00dbadb56d3fba8.jpeg

TG

I love everything about that. I even like the yellow  wheels. Typically the wheels need to be a darker color than the body.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I love everything about that. I even like the yellow  wheels. Typically the wheels need to be a darker color than the body.

I had a lengthy chat in Charlotte with the gent who researched the car’s history. They had original build docs that showed the factory paint scheme and replicated it. It’s really a stunner - from a distance and up close.

There were some great cars competing at the Zenith Awards, but I predicted that the Du Pont would win. Let’s hope it continues to be shown on the concours circuit.

4E1F80A3-255D-46DF-8C14-8BDA97905501.jpeg.c76af5726514eb5d5eca826323ba1a7a.jpeg8A9C9415-06AA-4C51-A1BE-CDA15BD0729D.jpeg.b9e70815f47ab49a4e9ecbd7d919794c.jpeg787A908C-230D-4616-ABD3-33B0292E4A57.jpeg.8899843dcd80c6ca27fa3a5bca1e2d69.jpeg

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Have we already discussed this? But is this the car that Mark Hyman had for sale 10 or 15 years ago? Sold it within 24 hours if I recall. Last opportunity for a very reasonably priced DuPont  model G.

You opened this thread in 2017 with an image of this car, ID’ed as a Model H. I’m glad it’s resurfaced.

• Thanks 1

Great example of a car exceptionally well done. You almost can never go wrong with factory colors. I haven’t seen this one in person yet. I think I would have played around with wheel colors a bit to get something with a different feel to them.  I probably would have gone with larger tires also.  It’s a stunning automobile and I would expect we see a bit more of it before it gets hidden away. Unfortunately most of the  DuPont’s get out very seldom. 

6AC7DC77-3965-44B7-A297-2CCF608D24C2.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 3/28/2020 at 6:45 PM, alsancle said:

Any chance that is the lone surviving model H in the background?  I think maybe  yes.

1931 duPont Model H | Review | SuperCars.net

I was fortunate to get a private showing of this car around a decade ago.  It's just off the charts stunning in every way.  I assume they kept it in the family after the prior owner's passing. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

What about the early DuPont automobiles? They produced cars between 1919 to 1931, but in the previous posts late 1920’s and early 1930’s cars dominated the discussions. Are there early 1920’s DuPont cars still around? 
Are they same excellence and distinction level as models G and H ?

By the way, are the DuPont survivors mostly open cars? Or did factory produced more open bodies than closed ones back in the past?

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark states the following regarding the production by model years and series:

1919-1920 Model A & 1921 - prior to July 1923 Model B: 188 cars.

July 1923-1924 Model C, 48 cars & ~1925-1926 Model D, 28 cars.

1927-1928 Model E: 83 cars plus 2 Model F on a 136" wheelbase.

1929-1932 Model G: 273 cars plus 3 Model H on 146" wheelbase.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark states the following regarding the production by model years and series:

1919-1920 Model A & 1921 - prior to July 1923 Model B: 188 cars.

July 1923-1924 Model C, 48 cars & ~1925-1926 Model D, 28 cars.

1927-1928 Model E: 83 cars plus 2 Model F on a 136" wheelbase.

1929-1932 Model G: 273 cars plus 3 Model H on 146" wheelbase.

The lottery question: how many of these 264 cars (1919-1926) have survived? No 6 cyl DuPont cars left???

1 minute ago, JRA said:

The lottery question: how many of these 264 cars (1919-1926) have survived? No 6 cyl DuPont cars left???

I can't say for sure there are none, but I do recall an on-line advertisement almost twenty years ago for the remnants of a 1927-1928 Model E convertible sedan in South America.  The Model E was powered by the same OHV 268.3 ci six-cylinder engine manufactured by Wisconsin utilized by the Model D.

• Like 1

DuPont ( as well as the NY built Cunningham) advertised where they knew that they had a possible client base who would see their latest product on offer and also had the $ to afford to buy one. There were society magazines in the 1920s and early 1930s. Austin Clark put me on to them as he said it was one of the few places you would see the odd independent makes of cars spend money on advertising. They would not take ads in the Saturday Evening Post . I worked for Austin in his library 50 years ago and he had some of the high end society type magazines and actively sought them out when they could be located. He gave me a copy of one as a gift once as he knew of my interest in custom built cars, and it started my quest to find more as well.

The issues of The Spur, Country Life ( American version not the British one) , The Sportsman were all excellent places to see and read about luxury cars of the pre war era. It was not a magazine the general public would care about. Advertisements in them on their coated stock paper were for country clubs, horses, kennels for dogs, antique stores ( this in the 1920s) and DuPont and Cunningham advertised in these with half page ads showing the cars they had on offer. Decades ago my friend John B. Montville , the Mack truck historian came across a book dealer who had an album someone had made of the advertisements for DuPont and Cunningham that they neatly clipped and removed from the magazines mentioned., All date from 1928 or 1929 . John knew I would be interested so got that album of ads and when he saw me told me that I owned him some $ , I paid him then asked him "ok what the heck did I just buy?" and he gave me the album. Here is an example of one of the DuPont ads from the Spur. There is a total of 6 Cunningham ads and 9 DuPont ads. Enjoy.

Walt

P.S. I have a decent amount of information on the distributor mentioned in the ad: A.J. Miranda Jr. in NY City as well, that is a whole story in itself which needs the time to be told and thus far has not in CCCA or any other publication. All the pieces of the classic car history puzzle just await someone to bring them all together and put it together for a good read.

DuPont1928advertSPur.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...