What Am I?

Guest chanticlair281

Guest chanticlair281

I was lost down a road I had never seen before and ran across this sitting in a field. I did not have time for a closer look but snapped a few pics. Can anyone clue me in on the make/model?

Full.jpg

Grill.jpg

20170514_155128.jpg

Edited by chanticlair281 (see edit history)

A picture of this car out by a country road was posted for discussion a couple of months ago. Odds of there being more than one of these are pretty darn slim, so I'm pretty sure I saw this car when I was small and my dad was still active in the Legion, it had a rooster tail and Genuine Cadillac Doors. I had no idea why Genuine Cadillac Doors were funny, but the statement stuck with me because all the adults laughed.

Guest chanticlair281

I would love to find the posting from a couple of months ago and read it. This car had\has me so perplexed that I really wanted to track down what it was and now what all it is made up of! Thank you for those that have already pointed out the Buick rear and the grille. The front fenders remind me of an early 50's ford pickup, like maybe a 52.

Guest chanticlair281

Great find on the Bumpers! I love thinking about someone gathering these different parts and building this car. I really appreciate this community for pitching in and helping narrow down/satisfy my curiosity. 

1 hour ago, michel88 said:

I was thinking the front fenders may be from a '49 to '52 Ford F1 pickup.

I think that you're right about the fenders, and I think that the hood is a cut down or chopped hood from the same vintage truck.  Below is an image of a 1951 F-1 front end:

561a39855a951425b4bd6da9a3a7a571.jpg

chanticlair281,

Do you have any plans of going back by the car to get some more information?  If not, maybe you could post some information and maybe P.M. someone in the area who may be able to get some more information.

Cheers,

Grog

Guest chanticlair281

I have a new friend that I met in that area. I will see them again hopefully on Friday. I will ask them to go back by the car and ask around. I would have stopped myself, but I had my family in the car. I am not very close to it or I would make the trip back out myself... Thus why I posted it here to get the educated guesses of you fine folk.

Way too modern for my interest. But what the heck. We consider model T speedsters and other early era home-built customs worthy of being restored and preserved as part of automotive history, don't we? Why not an interesting custom like this? Home or professionally built? I think something like that should be rescued, and restored to its original vision (as close as reasonable, and maybe a little nicer than its previous finish). Just like we have done with the remains of original speedsters from the era.

Certainly, some of that stuff was garbage when it was first cobbled together, and would be better off junked. But I have seen a couple really nice creations over the years. That looks like one of them.

It is also a piece of the automobile history scene!

19 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Looks to be 1946-48 Chrysler bumpers.

1946 Chrysler club coupe.jpg

I have an extra set of these bumpers if someone needs a start.

Only the bumpers are anywhere near straight, the guards are kinda bent, lets call it patina.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)