The right car for Peking to Paris 2019 Rally?

Patrick De

NO , PATRICK ! It is the DODGE which is steel framed ! The Dodge is a much simpler , less complicated car. It was built from a time when perhaps most (or even in some places , ALL) of its driving would be done on rough dirt roads. By the end of the '20s , and so on , more roads were paved , and/or maintained more frequently. The simple , rugged Dodge would be a slower , but more of an "Off Road Vehicle". More likely to just FINISH P2P . But don't let that scare you. Much more complicated Boulevard Cruisers have finished P2P. They are just prepared and owned by guys with more money than Santa Claus ! Here you see my 1924 Cadillac , complete with a team , ready to rally !!! LETS GO !! My 1927 Cadillac is a bit less rugged , (the frame is lighter) , but cars and roads were evolving at the same time together. These are tough cars , with no engineering or metallurgical mistakes. If I were to drive one of these across great expanses of dirt and rock and mud and snow , beating it to death , I t would be the '24. More later. I look forward to continuing our conversation during your morning coffee tomorrow, or any day.  I can see that you are doing everything right at this point. By the time you are through , you will have had the additional benefit of even greater English proficiency !! Everyone here is having a good time going "on a car hunt" with you ! We hope to similarly go rallying with you !   Your forum friend , Cadillac Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Oh , also , Patrick , almost everyone here knows , but since you are a new friend here , I should mention : These two old Cadillacs have never been restored ! They are original cars ! The '24 had been repainted , perhaps before you were born , so I felt very little guilt re-finishing the wheels. The wheels were no longer  in original paint. The rest is un touched , including the original top and headliner. The '27 is still in its original green paint. I have taken the original painted wheels off the car to preserve them. I had the wheels you see made in order to be able to go through many dirty- to-clean cycles over many thousands of miles.   - CC

Edited by C Carl
Redundancy deletion (see edit history)

Patrick have you seen this film "Oilfield Dodge"? Well worth a look. It shows a Dodge sedan of about 1920 in everyday use in the oil regions of Pennsylvania or maybe Oklahoma. Compare to conditions on your Peking to Paris. Cars met life in the raw in those days. It may explain why someone would chose a Dodge over more luxurious cars.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Hi, having been there and done it, here's my two pennyworth.

Before getting two excited about what car to do it in be very clear in your own mind what your objectives are as these will greatly influence car selection, level of preparation and all up costs.

Post or pre war ? -  I note that you currently favour a open top, pre war  American.

A bit of style or are you happy to do it in a shed ?

Just want to finish ?

Get a gold medal ?

Achieve a class win ?

Win out right ?

Car and preparation cost -  minimum cost assuming you have to employ someone to do the work.

Just want to finish in a post war shed - $50k

Out right winner in a stylish pre war car - $250k

• Like 1

HI Backaxle ! Hey , I might have the pleasure of being the first to welcome you here ! From your spelling (favour) , and "two pennyworth" , I gather that you may well be closer to the "Mother Country" than we rebel colonials here. With that said , what is the meaning of "shed" ? As I say , a hearty welcome ! I hope you stay with us and continue to share your wisdom and experience. Hmmmmmm , "shed".   - Carl 

A shed is what you have in the garden to keep the lawnmower and bicycles and stuff in. It is basically a storage place but may also be a workshop - I call mine "the shed". I suppose with me it comes from my childhood. The Shed was the car shed. Behind it and included in The Shed was the workshop and behind that was the woodshed. It is a building separate from the house and could be pretty rustic (i.e. a bit  tumbledown).

Thus to do the rally in a shed is to do it in something that just does the job, more or less, with no style or other automotive refinements. Anything will do.

I think Patrick wants the romance and challenge of giving himself and his co-driver a good hammering in an open car of style!

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Patrick , it would be a good idea to drop in on the Pre War Buick forum and say hi to the hard core Buick guys there . You will probably not generate as much attention there as here , but you will encounter Buick specific knowledge you may need. If indeed you purchase a Buick , immediately join their club. It will open up a wider world , as many members do not participate on the forums here. If you would like me to be available by phone when you go to rps in England , I would be happy to help. I know the time will probably be unusual for me , but that is O.K. Perhaps some native English speaker in G.M.T. could help better than I. (How well do your other team members speak English ? To a small degree , old cars is a universal language , but you have an opportunity to become much more proficient by vocabulary building. IF YOU ENCOUNTER ANY WORD OR TERM YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND, MAKE NOTE OF IT , LEARN IT , AND DO NOT LET IT BE FORGOTTEN. Most people can build vocabulary at a rate of 2 to maybe a maximum of 10 words on a very good day. Gifted language students at our highest level of diplomatic and military intelligence language school acquire vocabulary at the rate of 20 words a day. You will not be able to do that in the context of your life. Acquire total familiarity of new words to the level that you know "coffee" or "beer". If you can do 5 per day you will do very well rather quickly. As I say , 2 per day is significant over a period of time.) You are getting a huge following here. I know some real EXPERTS have , and will continue to offer advice and help. Again it is WAY past my bed time.   - Carl 

Hi Spinney' , glad I stayed up to say g'day to you ! Thanks ! You Southerners surely are more Anglocentric than we polyglot mongrels around here. To be clear , I am merely making an observation, and not a value judgment. What a wonderful world it could be , eh ? "Imagine" - J. Lennon. Romantic ! Exactly ! There is definitely a major component of the heart here. I hope and trust that Patrick and team do not lose that spirit , and find the vehicle to put wheels to their dreams all the way to Paris !  - Carl

Edited by C Carl
Miskeyed spelling correction (see edit history)

Thanks for your welcome C Carl, or is that Hercule Poirot.

Also thanks to Spinneyhill for defining "shed" - spot on.

Some sheds, when properly prepared, can make very effective endurance rally cars. For someone wanting to finish and get a gold medal in the post war class a 1960/70 Volvo is the go to car for about UK£40k.

9 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Patrick have you seen this film "Oilfield Dodge"? Well worth a look. It shows a Dodge sedan of about 1920 in everyday use in the oil regions of Pennsylvania or maybe Oklahoma. Compare to conditions on your Peking to Paris. Cars met life in the raw in those days. It may explain why someone would chose a Dodge over more luxurious cars.

"well worth a look"?? It's fantastic !! :)  Rusty, you (and the wheel full of mud) made me remembering a forgotten movie I made 34 years ago when I was 19 years old. It took me 2 years to restore this Jeep and trailer. Just uploaded 

Sorry guys, I guess only fools don't change opinion.

Beside the Buick, we consider the Plymouth again http://nl.ww3.autoscout24.be/classified/306239651?asrc=st|as 

It is the lightest of all we spoke about, 2920 lbs, if I'm correct.

The fantastic old commercial of this car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9IM3DCjUWQ helped to convince me that it is indeed not a bad choice.

Price is already after one phone seriously lower than listed.

Would we not have a reliable and fast car, if we supplied it with the later, larger 228 to 265 cu ( 3.7L to 4.3L) engine as Rusty proposed?

With of corse all other modifications still to do.

Patrick I know of one Plymouth fan who uses his 1948 Plymouth sedan every day. It is equipped with a modified 230 cu in Plymouth engine and a 5 speed transmission out of a Chevrolet S10 pickup truck. He takes long trips regularly on the interstate highways and cruises at 70MPH for hours on end.

You might also get a kick out of this account of a 1951 DeSoto 8 passenger sedan. The original owner drove it over 175,000 miles as regular transportation, with an engine overhaul about every 80,000 miles. My favorite part, 'at 70MPH the engine smooths out like a perfectly balanced turbine'. This at an altitude of 10,000 feet,  in a 6000 pound limousine with 4.11:1 gears and a 265 cu in flathead engine, towing a trailer.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/suburban-1951.html

The Plymouth you speak of was built for a time when 50MPH was a typical road speed. It is capable of more, but it is a strain. The answer  is to install higher rear axle gears but this means the engine must work harder, especially with a fully loaded vehicle. The best solution is a larger more powerful engine, 4 speed or 5 speed transmission for flexible performance, and a different rear axle. This will allow you to carry heavy loads, and have the flexibility to deal with driving through mud at 5 or 10MPH and cruising on paved roads at 70 MPH or better.

A stock, or near stock engine will run on gasoline of 70 octane or better and provide reliable performance for 80,000 miles even under severe conditions. Either a 230 cu in engine as used in Dodge and Plymouth in the 1950s or the larger DeSoto/Chrysler engine will do the job.

Patrick , please go down to Pre-war Buick as I have directed you above in post #115. CAREFULLY read my latest contribution. I think it would be in your best interests if these discussions were fwd to rps. It will help you to lower the communication barrier which is always present to some degree unless the speaker is totally bilingual. You do quite well , but there are misunderstandings. I would be happy to stand by for help when you are in England if you need me . Never mind the time difference. Just let me know the day and aproximate time. Go to Pre-war Buick now , please. If you can not understand everything I have written in my last posting there , find someone who can fill in what you do not understand fully. Ask here , and I will be able to explain in greater detail. Have you ever done any high speed off road driving ? Do you know what "Float Speed" is ? Post your questions here , please. As I have mentioned in other topics , or perhaps on the CLC forum , in my youth , I was not known to hang about. Off road , or on. I still enjoy seeing if fuel cut off is at spec 157 mph on my '98 SL600. I wish my 2007 E550 didn't ease off at 132.  You are still all over the place on a choice of vehicle. Does anyone on your team speak English better than you ? Try giving me a call after dinner some time soon. Pre-War Buick , please. The title of my topic as per post #115 above access is  : 1928 or '29 Buick for P2P Rally Advice Please . Read it now. I really want to help you.    - Carl

Edited by C Carl
Emphasis (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Patrick , please go down to Pre-war Buick as I have directed you above.

I have just sent a list of questions to rps regarding your candidate Buick. As you further consider this car , I think the Buick guys below will have questions of their own to help you. Call me again soon.

Do you think it would be a good idea to fwd these discussions to rps ? I think that would be a very  effective way to have them address a number of issues we have brought up. WHAT DO ANY OF YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THIS IDEA ?  - Carl

Edited by C Carl
Expansion (see edit history)

@C Carl

thanks for all help, but I did not ask you to sent a list of questions to RPS.

I did not ask you to communicate with RPS.

I'd rather prefered we prepared those questions together after I have seen the car, and that I than ask the questions.

Please sent me this list of these questions.

I'm a dealer myself, and I would not like that somebody else comes to ask questions, and holds me on, about a car for somebody else.

I will have a short look at the Pr war Buick guys.

Yes , of course , Patrick. Since I do not know how to transport the email I sent to the forum , l shall have to re-tap it from the laptop. I will do it right after I finish this.

I HAD ANTICIPATED YOU MIGHT BE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH SOMEONE MAKING A CLUMSY ATTEMPT TO OPERATE ON YOUR BEHALF ! Patrick , I am nowhere near as clumsy as you might think. What I sent can only benefit you , it depends on how you want to "play" it. That is a statement of fact. That is also why I DID NOT fwd these discussions to rps , and asked for feedback above at the end of post #136 above. 

So so let me "take 5 or 10" , and then put my questions on the forum. Let us use all the resources at hand to advance your learning curve. Remember : There are real , true , geniuses who participate here. People who have spent their entire lives in every aspect of automotive enterprises. EVERY aspect. There are also people who are also engaged in , or retired from , a vast variety of professions in which they are/were at the very top of the game. Many Ph.D holders here , including engineers. Absolute MASTER machinists. Metal fabricators extraordinaire. Multi-millionaires who sat at the head of the table with a team thinking 20 moves ahead , and were proven right by their success. And so on.

Let me put it out for comment. Don't worry.    - Carl

Here for comment verbatim : "Gentlemen : How does your listed red '29 Buick compare to "Benson" ? Clone ? Benson Lite ? If so , in what sense ? Benson 2.0 ? If so , how so ? Any pics of undercarriage , suspension , axle truss , etc. Please some detail re : present tires , or advisability of machining custom hubs to carry state-of-the-art off road radial tires on appropriate wheels , and accommodate disc brakes. Any current spring rate change over stock , or wheel travel increased ? Shock absorbers ? Potential P2P 2019 candidate."

Those are the questions. Obviously a better job could/can be done by committee. But the complexities in all their forms were well considered by me before sending the email. You are not being "second guessed" here. I know about second guessing. I have lost perhaps $50,000,000 (Yes , fifty million U.S.D.) by being second guessed. That represents over 30 years of the prime of my working life. Yeah , I know about second guessing , all right. Am I bitter ? You bet your butt I am. The stress of it all killed me , and I am living on borrowed time. No stroke YET , but two cortisol induced heart attacks over 5 terrifying trips to the emergency room. I have thought  the above through several moves ahead before writing , and clicking "send".

We are here for you. You are now at almost 3000 views. That is rather phenomenal , generated from first post less than 10 days ago. The "collective brain" and experience you have at your disposal here is valuable beyond your present ability to fully utilize. Some of our pertinent questions still await answers from your team. Do you have a member who speakes English better than you ? (You speak English quite well , but all skills at hand should be deployed to maximize benefit).

O.K. , WHAT SAY , ALL ? 

Patrick , my friend , yes indeed I certainly understand the nature of being second guessed. I wish I hadn't had to learn this the expensive time wasting hard way. For having provoked the PERCEPTION on your part of having been second guessed , I apologize. Some of the strategy I have perceived will have to be discussed off-forum. Some by private message here , some by direct email. Some perhaps by telephone.  Please continue to second guess , and cross-examine on forum , some of the advice I and some others have given you. Healthy ventilation in the light of day is productive. I emphatically maintain that you have hardly even begun to exhaust the combined value of the resource we offer you.   - Carl

Oh , also Patrick , I disagree with you in that a list of questions should be prepared AFTER you see the car. Yes , certainly seeing the car should generate more questions than you are capable of asking.The process we are going through right now dictates that you MUST ask a number of questions than you can not yet conceive of BEFORE you see this or any car. Please understand that I have driven much farther , much faster , under VASTLY more difficult conditions than P2P. I have driven through , got stuck in , put my vehicle on its side in , conditions that would have condemned your lightweight popcorn gentlemen's rally "sheds" to the "DNF" column. I carried all the equipment in my well prepared vehicles to get myself out of conditions I found myself delayed in. This was in my strong 30s , half a lifetime ago. Three minutes of the hard work I did nonstop for 10 or 12 hours at 15,000' in The Andes , or 16 nonstop hours with front and rear differentials down in a tidal salt marsh (you know - quicksand potential under tidal variations) , yeah , three minutes at that level of energy , maybe less , would literally kill me now. I used to be one tough S.O.B. One hard driving mutha'. Worry all you need to , Patrick. Worry , and the resolution thereof , is what anticipates problems and solves them. As I have said earlier , I am impressed that you are on the right track. You are still in a new element here , and asking the right questions. I don't think anyone here would argue that you are not still "wet behind your ears". But I don't doubt for a nanosecond that they would be the first to hand you a towel to dry those ears off. Also , if it helps make you feel better , my seat has often been the one at the head of the table. Just another drivers seat !  -  Carl

P.S. : F.Y.I. , Speaking of drivers seats , I doubt "Benson 2.0"  has yet been equipped with a proper one. Did you notice ?  - CC

RPS responded. Evidently it needs "much more" than just a proper drivers seat.

Here , exactly as received , verbatim :

"Hi there

Not quite a Benson Clone - but currently owned by the person who asked us to build Benson way back...........

For sure a candidate for Peking to Paris but much more work to be done. Some of the mods you list are not allowed

such as disc brakes.

Regards

Simon Ayris

Managing Director"

Patrick , this is part of what we here NEED to know in order to be of any use to you. From time to time it is necessary to re-boot to the "same page" in order to correct "drift". My feeling is that it would be of benefit to you to let Simon know that I , as a native English speaker with 71 years of fairly prolific practice, am helping you , and have almost infinite patience.

Please provide us with the list of the "much more work to be done" in order to be prepared to the level YOU need. As I have said several times , a massive amount of brainpower is on standby right here for you. Please keep us busy on your behalf. Would you like me to respond to Simon at RPS in any way ? We are all extremely curious to hear what Tim Wilkinson has to say. Is there anyone on your team who speaks English better than you ?     Just one of your many friends on AACA Forums ,  Cadillac Carl

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

RPS responded. Evidently it needs "much more" than just a proper drivers seat.

Here , exactly as received , verbatim :

"Hi there

Not quite a Benson Clone - but currently owned by the person who asked us to build Benson way back...........

For sure a candidate for Peking to Paris but much more work to be done. Some of the mods you list are not allowed

such as disc brakes.

Regards

Simon Ayris

Managing Director"

Patrick , this is part of what we here NEED to know in order to be of any use to you. From time to time it is necessary to re-boot to the "same page" in order to correct "drift". My feeling is that it would be of benefit to you to let Simon know that I , as a native English speaker with 71 years of fairly prolific practice, am helping you , and have almost infinite patience.

Please provide us with the list of the "much more work to be done" in order to be prepared to the level YOU need. As I have said several times , a massive amount of brainpower is on standby right here for you. Please keep us busy on your behalf. Would you like me to respond to Simon at RPS in any way ? We are all extremely curious to hear what Tim Wilkinson has to say. Is there anyone on your team who speaks English better than you ?     Just one of your many friends on AACA Forums ,  Cadillac Carl

Hi Carl,

thanks for all efforts, but please do not contact RPS anymore.

You guys helped and informed me a lot regarding the right car for P2P.

It is not the intention to discuss here all preparations that need to be done.

22 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Not exactly "on topic", is this link from Hemmings, which is interesting to say the least.

http://www.plymouthbulletin.com/adventure01.htm

If nothing else, would tend to support Mopar ruggedness and reliability.

Only drawback, you'll need a few hours to read it all!

Wow, I'll take my time to read this! Thanks a lot.

This Friday we are going to see and do a testdrive with the 1929 Buick 25, but the Plymouth pleases us more and more.

I have an option already to buy it. 

Next weekend is D-day.

Can somebody help me to find a 1928 or 1929 Chrysler 72 or 75 roadster? 

This is finally our most prefered model, because it is also eligible for Mille Miglia and Le Mans Classic here in Europe.

Next week I'm going to see a 1933 Dodge 6 convertible, which succesfully participated already in the Peking to Paris.

Can somebody tells me where I can find more specifications about this car?

Weight, engine power, etc compared to the Chrysler 72 or 75.

I only know Classiccardatabase.com and there is not much on it.

Thanks in advance, regards.

Just a thought but in the thirties there were not five and six speed transmissions on cars. What you had was a three speed gearbox and a two speed Columbia rear end, later the Borg-Warner overdrive appeared & many English cars of the fifties had a Laycock  electric overdrive.

16 hours ago, padgett said:

Just a thought but in the thirties there were not five and six speed transmissions on cars. What you had was a three speed gearbox and a two speed Columbia rear end, later the Borg-Warner overdrive appeared & many English cars of the fifties had a Laycock  electric overdrive.

The Dodge owner told me that the only weak point on his car was indeed the gearbox. He has 'hurted' it when pulling another car in Mongolia, but the gearbox did hold it to the end. Afterwards he has put a younger three speed in it. The electric overdrive that was in the car for P2P seemed to be useless to him, so he took it out.

Paul Curtis has an adapter kit to put a T5 from Mustang or Chevrolet in it. 

• 3 weeks later...

After having searched for several months for 'The right car for Peking to Paris 2019 rally', we have found our car!

A 1933 Dodge 6 convertible.

Why this car?

• Mopar was the right choice we decided after all information we received on this forum. Thanks to all enthousiast for the tips and leads! :)
  • Bernard (co-pilot) and I have enjoyed the pimped W200 Dodge Pick-Up we both had 25 years ago. Since than Dodge remained in our heart.
  • Open prewar car with the looks we wanted
  • High ground clearance
  • 4 leafspring suspension
  • Reliable, bigger 231 flathead 6 'torque' engine
  • Succesfully participated the Peking to Paris 2007
  • Etc

My first questions, others will probably follow.

• What is the exact type and model name of this car? (E.g. there is roadster, convertible and drophead coupe?)
  • Where can I found a left front fender with wheel well? (we want 2 spares)
  • The 3 speed gearbox in not in good shape. Which original, later model gearbox we easily can bolt to our engine? Where to find?
  • Who can repair the fuelgauge in our instrument panel?
  • Where can we find the 'modern material' parts to overhaul our engine? To optimalise its performance to the max without touching its legendary reliability.
  • Who can help us with information and parts to prepare the front and rear axle for the tough circumstance in the mongolian desert, etc..? (car my not change look!)

Thanks in advance for all help!

Kind regards,

Patrick

Motorist Mechanic 

Adventur1.jpg

Adventur2.jpg

Edited by Patrick De
Language corrections (see edit history)

Congratulations here too , Patrick ! Great pick ! A TRUE roadster because it uses sidecurtains rather than roll-up windows. Do inform us what special preparations were made for the first P2P. Atwater Kent rebuilds electrical instruments , and tank senders. I think if you are to carry 2 spares , it will be a good idea to find 2 sidemount fenders. The car will handle better by doing this , and free-up carrying capacity in the rear. You may have to fabricate a pair of welled fenders with some beautiful more open , more "race" lines. I would definitely not cut up the original fenders. I use forged Pistons in my modified extreme duty 514 cu. in. Cadillac engine. Go with Arias or Ross. I look forward to following your progress , both as you prepare for , and drive P2P !  - Carl

14 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Congratulations here too , Patrick ! Great pick ! A TRUE roadster because it uses sidecurtains rather than roll-up windows. Do inform us what special preparations were made for the first P2P. Atwater Kent rebuilds electrical instruments , and tank senders. I think if you are to carry 2 spares , it will be a good idea to find 2 sidemount fenders. The car will handle better by doing this , and free-up carrying capacity in the rear. You may have to fabricate a pair of welled fenders with some beautiful more open , more "race" lines. I would definitely not cut up the original fenders. I use forged Pistons in my modified extreme duty 514 cu. in. Cadillac engine. Go with Arias or Ross. I look forward to following your progress , both as you prepare for , and drive P2P !  - Carl

Hi Carl,

Thanks!!

You can not see, but there is already a sidemount fender on the right.

What do you mean with more open, more "race" lines? Certainly interested in this look.

Grtz,
P.

Marv might have one.  mribbich@wi.rr.com . I know it is a long shot , but he does have fenders. But post everywhere. Hey , shoot Dave an email.   dave@dodgecityvintage.com . He is also an old school racer and engine builder , son of an old school racer and engine builder. Your beauty will steal his heart away ! Great guy to talk with on the phone , too. I am sure he , and the other guys here will be happy to help you as much as possible. Earlier style fenders , ('33 was a major design change in fenders - many cars started "wearing pants" - lucky your fenders don't IMHO) , more open in front , and with just a hint of cycle fender influence would give your gorgeous roadster a more "LeMans" look. Play around the design table. You are on schedule. There is time. Think about the fenders , and retro-fitting a more archaic light bar with large , period apropriate headlights incorporating more modern illumination technology. What fun Patrick ! Car guy that you are , you must be about as excited as a middle aged man can be ! Hey , I'm an old man , way past bedtime , so thrilled about your fortunate find that I couldn't sleep without participating just a wee small bit. WOW ! Good going !  - Carl 

On 28-4-2017 at 10:06 AM, C Carl said:

Marv might have one.  mribbich@wi.rr.com . I know it is a long shot , but he does have fenders. But post everywhere. Hey , shoot Dave an email.   dave@dodgecityvintage.com . He is also an old school racer and engine builder , son of an old school racer and engine builder. Your beauty will steal his heart away ! Great guy to talk with on the phone , too. I am sure he , and the other guys here will be happy to help you as much as possible. Earlier style fenders , ('33 was a major design change in fenders - many cars started "wearing pants" - lucky your fenders don't IMHO) , more open in front , and with just a hint of cycle fender influence would give your gorgeous roadster a more "LeMans" look. Play around the design table. You are on schedule. There is time. Think about the fenders , and retro-fitting a more archaic light bar with large , period apropriate headlights incorporating more modern illumination technology. What fun Patrick ! Car guy that you are , you must be about as excited as a middle aged man can be ! Hey , I'm an old man , way past bedtime , so thrilled about your fortunate find that I couldn't sleep without participating just a wee small bit. WOW ! Good going !  - Carl 

Thanks for all that nice! We are really happy with our Dodge.

After some thoughts (and the advise from the previous owner, P2P participant), we will stick to our main goal to have low weight, so no second spare wheel, only a 2nd spare tyre.

Can you give me a picture with what you mean with "early style fenders, more open with a hint of cycle fender influence,... Le Mans look"?

I'm very much interested in seeing this. 

Also please the "more archaic light bar with large , period apropriate headlights"

Due to law restrictions in Belgian we are not so familiar with customising cars body wise, so no experience.

If somebody could do the job for us in your country, would be great.

We pay of course what has to be paid.

• 8 months later...

Why not just get a 1937 Cadillac V8 and be done with it? In the 2007 PtoP rally a 1936 Cadillac FLeetwood 70 finished sixth over all. The only cars that beat it were 3 Chevy coupes and a Bentley.

The 1933 Dodge Roadster finished 13th behind the Cadillac, five Bentleys, a 1929 Chrysler 75, and a Riley.

Edited by Willliam Burke
add information. (see edit history)

On 5/5/2017 at 3:18 PM, Patrick De said:

Thanks for all that nice! We are really happy with our Dodge.

After some thoughts (and the advise from the previous owner, P2P participant), we will stick to our main goal to have low weight, so no second spare wheel, only a 2nd spare tyre.

Can you give me a picture with what you mean with "early style fenders, more open with a hint of cycle fender influence,... Le Mans look"?

I'm very much interested in seeing this. 

Also please the "more archaic light bar with large , period apropriate headlights"

Due to law restrictions in Belgian we are not so familiar with customising cars body wise, so no experience.

If somebody could do the job for us in your country, would be great.

We pay of course what has to be paid.

He is suggesting that you replace the fenders completely with smaller, lighter motorcycle style fenders, as used on old racing cars like this Bentley

image.png.abf6d28440734cc9456e7c5f1022feee.png

Here is another example of racing style fenders

image.png.632d7245efc5828a3888deee1bd00a16.png

Notice that both cars have side mounted spare tires.

Rear mounted spare tires would be better for your car because putting them on the back gives better weight distribution.

I am sure you can buy the motorcycle style fenders seen in the first picture. The usual suppliers of vintage parts should have them. You would have to make mounting brackets, not very difficult to make locally. They would be much lighter than the stock fenders.

3 hours ago, Willliam Burke said:

Why not just get a 1937 Cadillac V8 and be done with it? In the 2007 PtoP rally a 1936 Cadillac FLeetwood 70 finished sixth all over all. The only cars that beat it were 3 Chevy coupes and a Bentley.

The 1933 Dodge Roadster finished 13th behind the Cadillac, five Bentleys, a 1929 Chrysler 75, and a Riley.

Hi William,

The Dodge was driven by the oldest participant, together with his wife. No intention to race and with a car almost fully original except from the extra fuel tank, shockabsorbers and rollbar. Most of the teams who finish top 10 have done P2P before or other endurance rally's with a car much more prepared. I've seen the Chevy coupes close. They are really high end preparation.

All respect to the previous owner of my adorable and affordable Dodge.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

He is suggesting that you replace the fenders completely with smaller, lighter motorcycle style fenders, as used on old racing cars like this Bentley

image.png.abf6d28440734cc9456e7c5f1022feee.png

Here is another example of racing style fenders

image.png.632d7245efc5828a3888deee1bd00a16.png

Notice that both cars have side mounted spare tires.

Rear mounted spare tires would be better for your car because putting them on the back gives better weight distribution.

I am sure you can buy the motorcycle style fenders seen in the first picture. The usual suppliers of vintage parts should have them. You would have to make mounting brackets, not very difficult to make locally. They would be much lighter than the stock fenders.

Hi Rusty,

thanks for that. Indeed, I will have to chose a style. Lightweight Le Mans racer or a travelers car with e.g. a 1907 highly original steamer trunk. Stuff to think and to talk about.

Steamer trunk Dodge.JPG