Delco Lovejoy rebuild - help!

70sWagoneers

So I've rebuilt the engine and suspension in a 1937 Buick 40 Special. The front shocks, Delco Lovejoy 1947A and 1947B, leak out the seals. I've have been forced to try to rebuild them myself. I've got the arms off of one, but now I need to get the shaft out so I can pull the dust caps off and replace the seals! It looks like the shaft must be removed to use a bearing puller to pop out the dust cap. How do I get the shaft out??? So far, I cannot remove the large knurled end caps. It seems the only way to get them off is with the specialty tool "J-766 Knurled End Cap Wrench".  One guy mentioned that they don't remove the knurled end caps , but just pry out the welch plug on top and then do whatever to get the shaft out. I may be misunderstanding him. So I pryed the plug out and don't see anything to unscrew or disconnect so I'm stumped once again. Is my answer behind the knurled caps? Any tips to get the knurled cap off without destroying it? Is there a way to replace the seals without removing the shaft? And who wants to let me borrow a J-766 Knurled End Cap Wrench?

Thanks 

James C.

J-766 Knurled End Cap Wrench is #7 in the attached picture below, 

DSC_1333.JPG

DSC_1334.JPG

J-895-600.jpg

Hi James,

I had the shocks on my 37 Roadmaster rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics in New York and am extreemly happy to recomend them.  Now for your actual question...  I would think that a modern way to go after this problem with minimal chance for dammage would be a strap wrench.  They were common for oil filters in days gone by.  I would suspect that they are available from most tool suppliers including Harbor Freight.

EDIT to add:  Check out Harbor Freight Item #69373.  That tool seems a bit light duty, but it shows what tool I mean.

Robin

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C
add info (see edit history)

If these are like earlier Delco shocks, the end caps right where the shaft exits the main unit are what covers the seals.  If you have the arms off then you may be able to pop these little dust caps off.  these caps are what holds the seals (usually leather) in.  They can be replaced with more modern seals and the shaft can even be sleeved if it is marred up.  Let us know how you are doing.  I may even have a spare or two if you mess anything up while working on them.

Edited by nickelroadster
addition (see edit history)

I rebuilt the single arm version on my 32 Dodge Brothers.  A different beast as the shaft comes out with the arm.  Not sure how yours works, but I had to rotate the shaft until I could access the bolt that held an arm to the shaft.  Once the bolt was loose, the shaft slid off the arm and out of the shock body.  I can't tell if you can access that bolt through the plug hole or if you have to remove those end caps to get to it.  My single arm unit has a convenient removable plate that allows easy access to the bolt and arm.  I'll post some pictures tomorrow that may help.

Ive tried a small strap wrench, a large pipe wrench and a couple of other shop made "wrenchs". I got the arms off with a large puller and heated them red hot with an acetylene torch. Even with the arms off, there is no sure way to grab the dust caps. If the shaft was out I could maybe use a bearing puller (I read that on internet). With the welch plug out, there are no bolts I see. Does the shaft just press out?

Thanks

James C.

Alright, so I tried a more direct route to the seals! So I welded together a puller with some pipe and a bolt that I tack weld to the dust cap to pull it off. Works great! Didn't have to remove the shaft or the piston caps. Tho now I have to weld fill some holes in the dust caps and refinish them (maybe zinc plate?). I also need to find some gasket material; 1/4" thick. The cheapest thing Ive found is sponge Viton on ebay. Anyone think this may be too soft? Otherwise all I can find is 1'x3'x1/4" cork rubber material at about $60 which I aint gonna do!

Rather than try to make seals  yourself go to a bearing supply house and they will have an almost unlimited supply of different size seals that you can modify to fit.  As an example I used the SKF seal handbook.  They also have sleeves to use if the shaft is at all damaged.   I have some shocks that are the same type as what you have and the dust caps came off fairly easily usin a hammer and a five way scraper.

Edited by nickelroadster
addition (see edit history)

I went to the local bearing "distributor" and of course the dont have any seals, nor does the local industrial supply. I guess at this point Im just not sure who to ask. But Ive got the 1/4" viton sponge on the way, but if there is something better (for a decent price) or if I shouldn't use this, I'd like to know.

Thanks

James C

Wow, a bearing supplier without access to seals is kinda like a NAPA without access to spark plugs.  I think you are getting the run around.  Look for another bearing supplier.  My town is quite small and even we have a bearing supplier that has all types of bearings, seals, sprockets, chain and gears available to order and most common size things in stock.  If I may ask,  What city or area are you in?  Someone here may be able to point you to a good source.

When you ask just give them dimensions don't tell them what it is for.  Usually if you mention it is for something more than twenty years old they don't even want to bother.  Also look for the oldest employee.  There are lots of online catalogues you can browse as well.

Good Luck

I recently needed seals. I found nothing the right size in Timken or SKF or any one else's on-line documents I looked at. I looked for quite a while too. In the end I got on the phone and found them in one call, by size. They turned out to be NAK brand with no part number, just a size reference. I suggest you do the same.  BTW, I was replacing felt axle seals with a double lip type.

I have been able to replace the seals on Delco-Lovejoy shocks that are common to 35-36 Auburn .  The seals can be procured at Locateballbering.com Talk to Mark x 7012.

It is my opinion that these shocks cannot be rebuilt properly unless the end-caps are removed . It is hard to believe that only two of these knurled wrenches exist in the USA

one at Apple and one at Five Points.  

I just bought a 39 Buick Special 40 and this is my first post.  Picture may give you an idea how to mount shock to workbench to get leverage, the link to hometownbuick gives instructions,  and the jar openers are the tool I would try first to use instead of wrench J 766.

http://www.hometownbuick.com/1951-buick-chassis-suspension-repair/

untitledshockwrench.png

96ef064d-1abb-4856-ba08-d13dd4cc1f3e_1.006ea0ca11cd5926159deabde868c7e7.jpg

Edited by markewebb (see edit history)