Ghost sign

nick8086

I have seen these signs before and thought that they were pretty cool; however, I never knew that they were called "ghost signs" or that they were a recognized category of signage.  A quick search of the internet revealed that there is quite a bit of interest in preserving the   images of these signs by taking photographs of them.  I didn't find any images of car ghost signs on the internet, but this one caught my eye:

May+12+Stage+2.jpg

Not that I hang out in saloons drinking whiskey or anything like that ... :P

Cheers,

Grog

This is car related because I have my 1929 Studebaker President Brougham in front of Kober's Drygoods Store, in Fort Bidwell, California, which was in operation from 1860 until 1984.  I do not know how old the sign on the side of the building is, however, I don't think I would get a free pair of Levi's if they ripped, today. 

DSCN1030.JPG

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, capngrog said:

Mark Huston,

That's a pretty nice photo, and your car looks like it could have visited the store in a prior life.  When was your photo taken?  Do you know if the old store still exists?

Cheers,

Grog

The photo was taken September 2015 on the Modoc Tour.   I believe the building does still exist, however, I have not been back since the photo was taken.  I hope to visit again on 2017 Modoc this September.  

i like the ghost Packard sign.  To bad the photographer missed most of the car, otherwise it would look like an old Parkard magazine advertisement.  As they said back then, "Ask the man who owns one".

I've seen some of these in San Francisco when they tear down an old building to put up a new high rise, and the adjacent one has very old signage on the side that hasn't seen the light of day for many decades. It's very interesting. I never knew they had this name Ghost Signs.

I remember seeing a number of "ghost signs" along Route 66 when I drove it in 2009.  I've also seen some in areas along the Lincoln Highway as well.  Always cool to see ... & I always wish I could see 'em in their "hey day".....

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"There's so much I need to say to you" | Phil Collins | 'Take A Look At Me Now / Against All Odds'

In Grassy Valley, California, I took this picture in 2013 of a Packard under a Packard sign.   This building was built by John Troutwine in 1930 for his Packard dealership that was in business from 1930-1953.   At some point the sign was taken down and stored inside the original Packard dealership building.   Later, when the current owner of the building purchased the property to open a carpet store, he found the neon Packard sign buried under an old stack of plywood.    He had the sign remounted on the building and named his store "Packard Discount Carpet & Vinyl" 

IMG_6116.JPG

IMG_6112.JPG

• Like 1

We see them in New York City frequently. Someone removes a wall or even a building and there it is. Most are in good condition because they are protected from the weather and light. I remember someone once published a book on them.