First Gen wheels and covers

Crazy4cruz

OK, so here is Richard's silly question of the day.  For Christmas my wife and kids purchased me a set of first gen steel wheels for my 65 so that I could finally put my spoked wheel covers on.  My question is that I thought the four small slots in the steel rims (circled in pic below) were there because the covers attached from the back of the rim somehow.  However, when I checked this morning the wire cover appears to just snap into the rim in the same fashion that any other hubcap or cover would.  What is this novice missing?

20170129_094856.jpg

20170129_094906.jpg

20170129_094916.jpg

You're not missing anything. You have correct covers for a 65 and you snap them in just like any other wheel cover.  As Dale mentioned, the slots in the wheels are for 63 and 64 cast aluminum two piece wheel covers. Those covers were replaced in 65 with the rally wheel option. 

Nice of your family to do this for you.

Ed

PS - now's the time to clean up those wheels before putting the covers on.*  If you've got the time, take those covers apart and clean them as well.  Soap and water then some #0000 steel wool to really bring out the shine.  While they're apart, you can also touch up or repaint the black back ground.  

* There's a place here in my area that will clean wheels down to bare metal then powder coat them for $40 each. When finished, they look so good you're almost ashamed to cover them up.

• Like 1

They are hard but not impossible to find.  I'm assuming that you are referring to the rally wheels with center caps.  What you want to make sure of is that all four are the same.  There's a thread going on right now where the guy who started the post has figured out that he has three different kinds of wheels.  Read that and try to familiarize yourself with what would be correct or at least look correct for your 65.  Look at your local Craigslist, expand your search, and keep your eyes open. They're around. If you find a set that needs attention, they can be replated and rechromed. The guy in Indiana, to whom I made reference earlier, could probably fix you up with a set.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the replies.  I thought I was going crazy for a minute.  Definitely going to take some time and clean them all up before putting them on.  I'm on the slow road back from a heater core replacement with all new carpeting to boot.  Wheels and covers will be the last finishing touch before I get my baby back on thew road.  Should be no problem in between the bathroom remodel.

My Dad owned a 65 Riviera he bought new with the wire wheel covers, and I was  the one who washed

the car from 1964 till 1970 when I went off to college, and cleaning those wire wheel covers was a big job. I had to take 

a rag and go in between each pair of spokes with my fingers to get them clean. It took about ten minutes to get one pristine

if the car had been driven in the rain.

SAVE0001.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Cleaning the wheel covers is a sittin' on the patio, kick-back with a bottle of suds, and listen to some blues kind of thing.  Don't get in a hurry.  Enjoy it and admire the product when you're finished.  Your mind goes kind of blank and the frustrations of the day are washed away.   

I went with the wore wheel covers when I got a set in 1979. Some of the locals frowned on them and thought I should have gone for, what I called, the obligatory styled steel wheels. But I like the wires a lot.

There are a lot of pieces to them and sometimes lining the spinner cap up and getting the screws in can be tricky. I have three sets and one set is in my cellar all cleaned. Maybe I am getting old, but the last two times I monkeyed around with them I ended up walking away. Grrrrrrrr.

018.thumb.jpg.a85890a18b7f5ed235b206ae4b003cc0.jpg

IF the car came equipped with dog dish hubcaps, the clips would have been in those holes.  I've found a couple of wheels like that and punched the clips out.  I'm guessing the wheels superceded the bolt on wheel covers and Buick designed the covers to go with existing wheels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

IF the car came equipped with dog dish hubcaps, the clips would have been in those holes.  I've found a couple of wheels like that and punched the clips out.  I'm guessing the wheels superceded the bolt on wheel covers and Buick designed the covers to go with existing wheels.

I have no pedigree for our wheels, so I really have no clue.  I think one or two were red with a pinstripe, and I have no indication that pinstriped wheel felloes were a thing in '56.  It is nice that Buick used those wheels for so long, because 71-76 Riv front disc rotors are the standard upgrade.  We change the balls to rollers on our existing spindle and get to keep our front & rear wheels the same.

I second the dishwasher with rinse aid.  I didn't worry about heat cycle and let them have it. They came out clean with no ill affects.  Of course could only do two at a time.  I use to do motorcycle spokes and more chrome then I care to remember.  So I didn't mined the easy way out.  Spent the time cleaning elsewhere.  But now I have to think about powder coating wheels. I like this idea!

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2017 at 11:05 AM, RivNut said:

You're not missing anything. You have correct covers for a 65 and you snap them in just like any other wheel cover.  As Dale mentioned, the slots in the wheels are for 63 and 64 cast aluminum two piece wheel covers. Those covers were replaced in 65 with the rally wheel option. 

Nice of your family to do this for you.

Ed

PS - now's the time to clean up those wheels before putting the covers on.*  If you've got the time, take those covers apart and clean them as well.  Soap and water then some #0000 steel wool to really bring out the shine.  While they're apart, you can also touch up or repaint the black back ground.  

* There's a place here in my area that will clean wheels down to bare metal then powder coat them for $40 each. When finished, they look so good you're almost ashamed to cover them up.

Hey RivNut, so finally getting around to cleaning up the spoked covers.  Was wondering what the best paint would be to repaint the black background.  Thinking about maybe going dark green to match the interior instead of black.  Thoughts?

Rim.jpg

Satin black is what most guys use.  The idea behind the black is to simulate a shadow that would be present if the wheels were real wire wheels.  BUT, it's your car, and you should do what you think you'd like the best.  

Here;s a picture of a Buick Skylark with the real-deal Kelsey Hayes wire wheels.  

Image result for buick skylark wire wheels

This picture is of a first generation Riviera with wire wheels covers.

The car described as a "wine-country" Riviera

Other than the thickness of the spokes, it's hard to discern which is which without close inspection

Here's a picture of a Rivera shod with real-deal wire wheels.

Buick-Skylark-Wire-Wheels.jpg

Nice thing about paint; you don't like it, you can redo it.  What do other folks think?

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I'd go black.  I think if you paint them body color, it'll make it appear that they are wheel covers, when I think the whole goal is to try to make them look as much like real spoke wheels as possible.  I used to paint my drum brakes colors, too, then I realized I was just advertising my cars didn't come with better discs (aluminum Riviera drums do not apply).

59 minutes ago, Black River said:

I'd go black.  I think if you paint them body color, it'll make it appear that they are wheel covers, when I think the whole goal is to try to make them look as much like real spoke wheels as possible.  I used to paint my drum brakes colors, too, then I realized I was just advertising my cars didn't come with better discs (aluminum Riviera drums do not apply).

Exterior is black, interior is dark green with black on the console and doors, so was thinking maybe bring a little dark green on the outside.

DSC_0447.JPG

DSC_0446.JPG

DSC_0442.JPG

2 minutes ago, Black River said:

Wow that green interior is beautiful! I'd still go black but I understand what you're saying.

Thanks man.  All I need now is green tinted windows and it would be perfect.  Well, at least perfect to me.:)

OK Riviera People: This thread is some what pertinent to what I did recently on a 65 Riv..  I ordered a set of 225 70 15z in a whitewall this week. Because I was going through my stash i decided to see if I had a matched set of  65-70 style steel wheels.  They are like the ones pictured.  The problem?  I have many but they are all have tires on them and I did not want to unnecessarily dismount the tires..

Next.  I didn't know if they came in 5 1/2' wide or 6" wide and I wasn't gonna dismount any tires just to measure so....whaddid I do?  I got a Turbine cap with studs  and proceeded to mount  it to the rim.  The secret???  The  63 and 64 Turbine caps are identical (except for paint)....but then I remembered Ed's mentioning that the studs had a spacer to accommodate a FLUSH fit on a 6" wheel.

There ya go. Place a Turbine cap with a spacer stud on the rim and if it's 6" it will be flush.  5 1/2" will expose a gap between the outer edge of the cap and rim of about  3/8" or so.  I didn't measure it but it  looks about that much.    I only dismounted 2 tires off rims rather than 8.  Oh, and yes, this also works with 63 and 64 rims with the larger hub diameter.

Perhaps this is a personal fantasy but I like the 70 series whitewall because it is a wee bit lower and puts  a wee bit more tread on the ground. Now I have a wider rim to accommodate the  70 series tire.  With a tight suspension it should make a difference...or again, is this just a fantasy?    BTW, sparkling wire caps will grace these rims of which the beads were wire brushed with my angle grinder and primed and painted to prevent leaks.    Mitch

Edited by lrlforfun (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Nice job on the interior.  Did you have that done or was it that way when you bought the car?

Bought it that way.  Wasn't sure about the dark green the first time I saw it but have grown to love it.  The young man I bought it from spent a great deal of time on the interior but ran into hard times.  I promised him it would have a good home.  Since then I've changed a few things here to make it mine.

So thanks to the wife the wheel covers are all nice and shiny again.  We did notice though that the spokes don't seem to be as bright as the rims themselves.  is this typical that the spokes would appear a bit more dull or do I just need to break out the elbow grease?