Mystery radiator and shell WWI era...

Lahti35

Anybody know what car this radiator came from?

The tag on the inside says it was made by the McCORD radiator manufacturing company in Detroit. Patent dates run from 1910 on up...

Interesting core pattern on this one... I imagine it would be a bugger to fi if it leaked!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

5 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

I go with Paige, Jewett had a rectangular emblem and Paige used the diamond shape plainly visible thru the rust...

You are correct sir!

Interesting that the radiator filler neck has threads on the inside... I was interested in purchasing for a project until I found what the radiator caps go for. Does anybody know if they make a repro cap for these or of another cap that wits the 2" neck? 

Paige! The diamond shape from the missing emblem says so! One year only! The '26 Jewett (last of the Jewetts) was very similar, but slightly different. Model 6-40 (maybe), and 6-45. They were intended to be the Jewett of 1927, but Paige in their final throws upgraded the car to a baby Paige. The 6-65 and 8-85 Paiges had the wrinkles in the front of the radiators and along the side of the hood. The 6-45 did not.

I have a 1927 6-45 four-door sedan, and have looked at several others over the years. It is interesting, that over the several months they were produced by Paige Detroit, they began with the Jewett name all over them, except for the radiator which displayed the Paige name prominently. Body tags engine tags all said Jewett. By the time my car was produced, the body tags were clearly Paige. The engine tag apparently was still Jewett. However, before the car left the factory, the engine tag was literally torn off the block, and the new Paige tag was hung on a single valve cover bolt. All four of the Weed Shock absorbers originally on my car had the remains of paper tags on them indicating they were for Jewett cars. When I was working on the car many years ago, I carefully had the tags duplicated and put onto the front shocks where they can be seen. Just as they were originally.

A couple months after my car was built, the Graham Brothers bought controlling interest in the company, and slowly began changing all the tags, again.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, Lahti35 said:

Interesting that the radiator filler neck has threads on the inside... I was interested in purchasing for a project until I found what the radiator caps go for. Does anybody know if they make a repro cap for these or of another cap that wits the 2" neck? 

Caps with male threads are pretty common including model T ford but not sure about the diameter. A dogbone cap and a Motometer would be easy to find on Ebay, cheaper if you don't need the car logo on the motometer.

There was no real standard on radiator and cap threading during that time. My '27 Paige 6-45 has internal threads on the radiator just like this radiator shows. I have two original Paige radiator caps, apparently from 1927, however from some other model. They are both slightly larger in diameter than my Paige requires for a cap. I also have a very nice original after-market accessory dog-bone cap that fits the radiator perfectly. If I ever get the car done and road-worthy, I will probably use it. I could have a machinist friend re-thread one of my original Paige caps to fit the slightly smaller size. That (to me) would look better, as the original Paige cap is quite beautiful, and unique. But, I hate to cut an original cap.

I also have another dog-bone cap, in nice condition, that I take with me to swap meets. The thread is the exact reverse of my Paige. Any cap that will fit this cap, will perfectly fit my Paige. I very rarely find any cap that will fit it. Although, I don't try every cap I see. Only ones I think I could be interested in. Variations in size or thread cut are slight, and few things seem to fit it. However, I have had a couple other cars in years past that I had adapters made. Generally, if the size isn't really bad? It is not very expensive, and can look fine.

I think the advice above is on the money, if you measure the inside diameter of the threads and can get the pitch from a thread gauge you can likely find one that would fit on here with a wanted ad or on eBay by asking for the thread size. I would also suggest if it is for a project, speedster or non restoration use, that any competent radiator shop could replace the neck with another one you have a cap for. You can also have a machinist spin one up to fit, even an inept engineer with a little machine background could do it (any resemblance to another person other than myself is purely coincidental)!

Edited by TheMoneyPit
Added machinist thought (see edit history)