1955 Dash in a 1956?

Beemon

I was doing some late perusing on eBay tonight, looking for some Roadmaster bomber sights, and I found a 56 Buick that has a 55 dash. How common were these? Was it a late 55 production or something? Kind of interesting, because a 55 dash would be a lot easier to adopt aftermarket gauges to the dash, plus the added cutout just looks cool compared to how flat 56 is.

7 hours ago, Beemon said:

I was doing some late perusing on eBay tonight, looking for some Roadmaster bomber sights, and I found a 56 Buick that has a 55 dash. How common were these? Was it a late 55 production or something? Kind of interesting, because a 55 dash would be a lot easier to adopt aftermarket gauges to the dash, plus the added cutout just looks cool compared to how flat 56 is.

That's odd....  pulled a 56 and 55 dash out....  holes all line up in the windshield trim end, but the 56 dash is deeper.... could they have switched this?

55 dash in a 56....holes line up20170115_082120.jpg

side by side 56 on the left20170115_082032.jpg

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

I immediately thought: 55 with 56 front end and rear trim.  But the brake pedal is definitely 56!  And that dash looks like it's been in there a real long time. 

So this may be another rare bird, along the lines of Uncle Bob's 54-55 prototype.  And it's being parted!!! 

5 hours ago, MrEarl said:

And if you ask, also ask how much for the jack! 

That is weird! Always wondered if they would fit. Brings to question how much more is 55. 

Admittedly I only asked about the WCFB lol. I already have two Jacks so I think I'm good on that. 

A mid 50s olds would be cool, but their speedo and gauges are far from normal just like the 56 so anyone looking to do that kind of swap is going to need to shell out some cash. That's why I like the 55 dash in there, because you can go to any company and get the exact same type of gauge setup that isn't mechanical and then just shim it. Electric speedo with a trim feature would be nice. Not having to worry about a temperature capillary tube... oil lines under the dash.

• Like 2

Making the '56 speedo "electronic" would ONLY take a stepper motor to run the speedo and another one to run the "distance" feature . . . .IF you are so inclined.  Many 1990s GM clusters used stepper motors to run the odometers (which in some cases, had "noise" issues).  One company has a complete instrument cluster for the 2nd Gen Camaros, which is all electronic (including the speed and distance functions).  Perhaps there's something in their sensors and such that could be used?

In vehicle body design, there are a few "hard points" which can be shared on similar body series of the same manufacturer.  ONE is the cowl area, due to its complexity.  We know that Fisher Body tried to have as many common un-seen items as possible, especially in the 1960s, so similar or the same dimensions of the '55-56 Buicks and Oldmmobiles would make financial sense.  Who'da thunk?  Especially back then?  Not to mention the separate assembly plants for the different divisions.  What attached to the basic body structure might be different, but the mounting holes would be in the same places.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

Making the '56 speedo "electronic" would ONLY take a stepper motor to run the speedo and another one to run the "distance" feature . . . .IF you are so inclined.  Many 1990s GM clusters used stepper motors to run the odometers (which in some cases, had "noise" issues).  One company has a complete instrument cluster for the 2nd Gen Camaros, which is all electronic (including the speed and distance functions).  Perhaps there's something in their sensors and such that could be used?

I was thinking more like an LED display that illuminates down the bar the faster you go. Just like how it is now, but with a flat glass screen. Same thing for the other gauges, but then you'd only be able to see them with the key on. A pretty interesting concept, but then I would have to build it and program it because such things do not exist except maybe for the actual gauges. Also a lack of illumination control would be a bummer. That's why I think a 55 dash would be cool, because all the stuff is there for the aftermarket round gauges.

All you need is a flat screen and you can make it look as you desire!

Put a "marker" on the speedo horizontal bar and change the color to the left of the bar related to marked speed markings and segments.  Possibly similar for the other gauges?

Might just use a flat screen behind a trim template rather than design backgrounds and such?  Demo something on your laptop?  Clean "sheet of paper"!

Check out the Camaro electronic cluster for any ideas.  Of course, Dakota Digital has had clusters for many '50s Chevies for years.

NTX5467

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beemon said:

I was thinking more like an LED display that illuminates down the bar the faster you go. Just like how it is now, but with a flat glass screen. Same thing for the other gauges, but then you'd only be able to see them with the key on. A pretty interesting concept, but then I would have to build it and program it because such things do not exist except maybe for the actual gauges. Also a lack of illumination control would be a bummer. That's why I think a 55 dash would be cool, because all the stuff is there for the aftermarket round gauges.

Like the idea.  I have always wanted to retrofit the old guage lights with LED's, only difference would be to keep the old gauges.

Edited by Kosage Chavis (see edit history)

For the old gauges, it might be advisable to get them rebuilt by a good rebuilder of automotive gauges (usually from the restoration industry). 

As for the backlighting, rather than using LEDs, you might use an LED "light engine" box and then run fiber optic cables to the gauges for illumination.  Could also run the cables to other locations for additional effects and such.

When the Mustang was redone on the current body design, it was possible to change the color of the instrument color display to match the vehicle's exterior color (or whatever).  Same markings, different colors possible.  Even 256 colors?  Checking out THAT technology might be interesting to adapt!

NTX5467

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

Check out the Camaro electronic cluster for any ideas.  Of course, Dakota Digital has had clusters for many '50s Chevies for years.

Dakota Digital was actually the company I was thinking of. If I recall correctly, they do custom gauges as well but a core is required.

prd_zm_163.jpg

prd_zm_154.jpg

prd_170.jpg?img_id=201507161115460

But something like the RPM gauge at the top for the speedo bar, and then maybe either something similar for the other gauges or just numbers. The last one is for a 58 Impala, and it's pretty close to the configuration of the 56 Buick. You would just have to make a custom display out of a real core, or build a mount that would bolt up the same. I really think a color coded LED bar for the different gauges would be spot on, where it's green/red just like the originals in just the right spot, or black/white like the Roadmaster (they're like this in my Century, optional? I know Specials are green/red). Either way, Oil and Temp would sweep from left to right, Ammeter would sweep both ways from the center and maybe have Fuel sweep left to right as well.

Don't get me wrong, all my gauges work fine as they are, but the added benefit of a GPS speedo or one that can be trimmed, as well as electronic gauges rather than calibrating mechanical gauges has it's benefits.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Double post here, but I found the part about custom gauges.

Here's the dash gauges page. You just prepare the cluster for final assembly and then send it to them. The price for five is $1045, which is ok considering I had just my speedo repaired for $250.
They even have service for the clock. It's $155, so it's comparable to a rebuild or a quartz conversion, and it will accurately keep time.  

Also for both you get a limited lifetime warranty. Might go pull that speedo cluster and clock out of the 56 in the junkyard...

We got way off topic here lol, but the info may be helpful to others.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

59 minutes ago, Beemon said:

I really think a color coded LED bar for the different gauges would be spot on, where it's green/red just like the originals in just the right spot, or black/white like the Roadmaster (they're like this in my Century, optional? I know Specials are green/red).

There is a tech service bulletin on the gauges which says that the temp gauge was causing some complaints on A/C cars. The A/C cars would run hotter and close to, or just over, the red/green zone, leading to overheating complaints. Since the engine was not overheating the fix was to remove the red/green from the gauge.  Apparently late in the run they stopped installing the red/green temp gauge altogether.  And a damn shame too.  It's one of the endearing features of the 56 in my opinion. 

BTW, those digital dashes do not do anything for me.  I know the hot rod guys want them because in observation, they really don't want old cars or parts.  And to each his own, but I love the old fashioned analog gauges, especially at night.

I wonder if there's an outfit out there that would be willing to retrofit new electronic analog gauges into old manual analog gauge clusters? That would be equally interesting, keep the old look with new technology like some EFI kits try to do. Or the Powermaster generator looking alternators, or Pertronix kits.

49 minutes ago, Beemon said:

I wonder if there's an outfit out there that would be willing to retrofit new electronic analog gauges into old manual analog gauge clusters? That would be equally interesting, keep the old look with new technology like some EFI kits try to do. Or the Powermaster generator looking alternators, or Pertronix kits.

You mean change them to electronic gauges using "sensors" rather than "sending unit switches"?  Sensors being "variable voltage" for gauges and "sending unit switches" being for "hot/cold" lights and such.  IF they are like the speedometer heads and needles, the indicator needle gently twists off of the gauge unit's spindle.  Therefore, just remount the gauge works and then reinstall the needle (gently!!).  Then, related wiring!  Plus ground straps!

NTX5467

34 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

You mean change them to electronic gauges using "sensors" rather than "sending unit switches"?  Sensors being "variable voltage" for gauges and "sending unit switches" being for "hot/cold" lights and such.  IF they are like the speedometer heads and needles, the indicator needle gently twists off of the gauge unit's spindle.  Therefore, just remount the gauge works and then reinstall the needle (gently!!).  Then, related wiring!  Plus ground straps!

NTX5467

All the gauges swivel from the bottom (for oil, temp) or the top (gas, amp).

s-l1600.jpg

I think that's the hard part, finding a gauge that's similar that you can dismantle and then retrofit somehow onto the stock gauge cluster.

1 gauge package.jpgI liked the black faced airplane style ones, but will note; unless there is an option, all the clusters show an oil pressure gauge that goes to 100 lbs. Unless something is done, even with factory designated oil pressure, the Buick with these gauges will always look like it has low oil pressure.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

The oil pressure issue might be a consideration, but other engines will be similar, I suspect.  I have a '51 Plymouth service manual which states that "any oil pressure" at idle is just fine, but should increase when rpm increases.  Many small block Chevy engines spec less than 50psi at "road speed", generally.  Some in the mid-80s had a wider pressure spec, with the low spec being about 5psi lower than what they were previously.

I recall seeing that in the design of the Nailhead, the smaller bearing diameters didn't need quite as much oil pressure as larger ones did.  Plus, the oil spec was "20" rather than "30", for what it's worth.

The old hot rod spec used to be 10psi/1000rpm of engine speed.  In more recent times, that's been modified down a little bit.  But that would still mean about 30psi at "road speed" for most engines, although the factory pumps will usually do more than that.

And then there were the earlier Chevy 2.8L V-6s that normally had about 60psi at road speed!  Never did understand why that engine had such high OEM oil pressure, compared to other Chevy engines.  It went higher when it was cold!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:44 AM, Beemon said:

The dash is out of a 55 Special, no trip odom  or engine turn found on a 55 Century .

So for some reason it was put it after production . It would be interesting to see the body number .

Bill

• Like 1