1949-1950 Packard Station Sedan

Joe Cocuzza

I have this posted in the Packard and National Woody Club sections, too.

I am in the process of purchasing a 1950 Packard Station Sedan. It needs a few parts that are missing but is relatively complete.

I do not have any pictures yet as it is tucked in a storage unit and it is very tight. I will post pics ASAP.

In the meantime I have some questions.

The car has doors on it that are not "cut out" for the wood yet they have what looks like factory applied woodgrain. Is this possible?

I am not too concerned about this as It comes with several extra doors with the "cut out" for the wood.

It is missing the door sill plates, the rear license plate bracket and light and the upper tailgate handle. Anybody know where these can be obtained?

The wood is in good/useable condition and the interior is excellent.

It has new rocker panels welded in. It does, however, need a trunk/spare tire pan as that is rotted in the corners. Is there anyone who does sheetmetal for these cars?

Joe

I think that Packard had wood trim around the edges of the woodgrained metal panel on the doors, quarter panels and the tailgate.

I'm not sure there was a cut out in the door, the metal panel with woodgrain was held on by a real wood surround and carriage bolts   I woodgrained those 5 flat panels for a guy 20 years ago but I'm not sure if it was a 49,50 or 51.  I never saw the car, only the metal panels.  At the time, I thought it was a bad arrangement because the panels were in real tough shape from being sandwiched between the wood and the steel of the doors.  The back sides of the panels had a lot of rust like water hd been held between the panel & the door skin. Maybe that's why those cars were so heavy?

Edited by Paul Dobbin
re-arranged text (see edit history)

11 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I might have the tail light and bracket if you can't' find one.  It's wall art in my garage right now with a neat story behind it.  

Please, I will buy it from you. How much do you want? Do you have a picture of it?

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by Joe Cocuzza (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, Imperial62 said:

The Station Sedan has wood placed in cut out depressed areas of the doors. It then has some wood used as pillars and the rear hatch. Much less wood than in pre war years and similar to the Buicks and Oldsmobiles. 

All of this will become more apparent once you get everything sorted.  On the rear hatch parts - probably unobtainium, good luck.  I agree it would be good to start with Kanter or reach out on Packardinfo.com

Paul, the Station Sedan was made from 1948 to 1950 and not carried over to new bodies in 1951.  If this is truly a 1950 then it is extremely rare and the numbers should be checked against the known VIN's for how far into production it was. 

I believe from memory these had the 288 cid 8 cylinder, All in all, plenty of smooth power for touring. 

As far as it being a 1950 I based that on the ID tag under the hood. The Model # is 2393-5 which correlates to a 1950 according to Classic Car Database.

I will be getting the other #  off of the tag this weekend and will report here.

Thanks, Joe

36 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I'll try to get a picture of it,  Then we can go from their.  It might be a few days.  I have to finish my new mini shop,  stuff it full of the things in my old bigger shop and actually somehow figure out how to work in it. 

No problem.

And thank you very much

Went to see/buy the Packard today.

Here are the #'s I got from it.

On the tag on the cowl - 2393-5 3570

On the engine - G27136CE?

So I believe the cowl tag info makes it a 1950 (that is what is on the title)

but the engine is a 1949 according to information I have looked up???

Here are a few pics - very difficult while in the storage unit.

Joe

DSCF4837.JPG

DSCF4836.JPG

DSCF4835.JPG

I think I have the ad with more pictures open in another browser right now. I have a 1948 DeLuxe Eight sedan that is running, licensed, and drivable that appears to be a long term stoage one as well. Mine had the focus on the mechanicals where it looks like the one you looked at had the focus on sheet metal.

The 288 engine is fine. I had mentioned that I don't use low gear often. She is wound a little tight in normal driving, not being an overdrive car. But the previous owner needed to install a new clutch, clean the fuel tank with new lines and pump. He also did a full brake job including lines. And installed new tires on freshly painted rims. He didn't drive it so I ended up redoing a few things and going through the cooling system and installing a new battery.

I didn't drive it until a few days after I bought it and really really has a quality ride feel. It is comparable to a Buick Super. Not being a woody, mine can be driven on a damp day without fear of the swelling wood trapping me inside.

Buying it not running from long storage is going to mean all the work I mentioned plus the obvious. It is going to be a while before you hit the road.

Because it is a woody I would say buy it now and ask the questions later.

Oh, I was driving the car back from the state inspection and made a left through a light with the big chicken on the hood leading the way. A woman hollered "I like your car!" Then she saw me. It was my Sister.

Bernie

The car that I wood grained the panels for belonged to a Packard collector who was also a Porsche/Mercedes dealer in Boston.  I think his name was Tom Mix, who died before that Packard  S/W was finished.  He was a Packard Darrin collector and told me one that he had owned almost all of the 1941 Darrins ever made at some point in their existence.  Anybody ever his Packard S/W finished?
Edited by Paul Dobbin
spelling (see edit history)

Actually, Packard didn't build any Station Sedans for 1950 (or the 1949 23rd series for that matter).   All 23rd series Station Sedans are factory re-numbered 1948 and 1949 22nd series cars.  That's why you have an engine number designated as 1949. It's sort of amazing but true that a 1950 Station Sedan could have been re-numbered as many as three times in order to be sold as a current model.  They didn't sell as well as expected; not because they weren't a fine car, but because they were seen as overpriced at $3,425.00.  

Thanks for all of the comments and advice. Keep them coming.

I am hoping to get the car home by this weekend - need to make room.......

When I was at the storage facility I hooked up a battery booster and the engine cranked over. This was a good sign. I also saw that the car has a new gas tank but the gas in it is stale. So I will need to drain and flush the tank.

Auburnseeker, I am looking forward to seeing that light, too. And thanks for the compliment about the car.

There are other parts that I am going to need.

Joe

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:46 PM, auburnseeker said:

I'll try to get a picture of it,  Then we can go from their.  It might be a few days.  I have to finish my new mini shop,  stuff it full of the things in my old bigger shop and actually somehow figure out how to work in it. 

I was unable to get the car this weekend - scheduling conflict with the PO.

I am shooting for 2 weeks.

Looking forward to seeing that light, too.

Joe

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

When I go out to the garage to work later,  I'll dig it out.  I know right where it is. Surprising since I can't find the tape measure I was just using. 

Thanks a million.....if you want to PM me that would be okay

Isn't funny that, at least in my case, the garage is a mess BUT I know where everything is - tools, etc....

I get griped at to clean it up but I know if I do I won't be able to find anything.

Finally brought the light in from the shop and got a few photos.  We can PM on the price.  Here are some photos.  Far from pristine but looks complete.  It isn't seized,  but needs a little soaking to get full movement.  I got a little less than a 1/4 movement with a quick squirt and 2 or three cycles of working it, not giving it any real time to soak.  

Has some heavy surface rust in spots,but I believe it's solid and will probably look a whole lot better with a run through the blast cabinet.  The lens appears unbroken, though dirty on the inside.  The chrome on the housing is super brilliant but the little spots won't clean off.  Probably fine for a driver like it is.  There is a crack in the brass housing in one spot on the side as shown.  You have to look for it.  I didn't see any dents or dings in it.   It came from an old closed Hotel in Upstate NY called the Woods in the Adirondacks.  It was in the barn on the first floor.  The barn caved in and rotted away,  destroying the car.  This somehow survived with no visible damage from the cave in. You could still see the Woods painted on the doors.  The was told the hotel was a hot spot for servicemen on leave during WWII.   I pulled it off the carcass 20 years ago on an adventure trip with my dad to look at a bunch of old cars the family had stored all over the property.  Most driven for a year or two and parked with the keys still hanging in the ignition.  Unfortunately the Northeast is hard on cars and most were just parts cars when we got to look at them.   The cars have been gone now for quite some time,  but the hotel which was in serious disrepair, though looked untouched inside through the windows including all the chairs and tables in the dinig room looking like it was ready for business,  has had a heavy restoration and I believe is now open for business. 

IMG_8777.JPG

IMG_8778.JPGIMG_8780.JPG

IMG_8779.JPG

IMG_8781.JPG

IMG_8783.JPG

IMG_8784.JPG

IMG_8785.JPG

IMG_8786.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Finally brought the light in from the shop and got a few photos.  We can PM on the price.  Here are some photos.  Far from pristine but looks complete.  It isn't seized,  but needs a little soaking to get full movement.  I got a little less than a 1/4 movement with a quick squirt and 2 or three cycles of working it, not giving it any real time to soak.  

Has some heavy surface rust in spots,but I believe it's solid and will probably look a whole lot better with a run through the blast cabinet.  The lens appears unbroken, though dirty on the inside.  The chrome on the housing is super brilliant but the little spots won't clean off.  Probably fine for a driver like it is.  There is a crack in the brass housing in one spot on the side as shown.  You have to look for it.  I didn't see any dents or dings in it.   It came from an old closed Hotel in Upstate NY called the Woods in the Adirondacks.  It was in the barn on the first floor.  The barn caved in and rotted away,  destroying the car.  This somehow survived with no visible damage from the cave in. You could still see the Woods painted on the doors.  The was told the hotel was a hot spot for servicemen on leave during WWII.   I pulled it off the carcass 20 years ago on an adventure trip with my dad to look at a bunch of old cars the family had stored all over the property.  Most driven for a year or two and parked with the keys still hanging in the ignition.  Unfortunately the Northeast is hard on cars and most were just parts cars when we got to look at them.   The cars have been gone now for quite some time,  but the hotel which was in serious disrepair, though looked untouched inside through the windows including all the chairs and tables in the dinig room looking like it was ready for business,  has had a heavy restoration and I believe is now open for business. 

IMG_8777.JPG

IMG_8778.JPGIMG_8780.JPG

IMG_8779.JPG

IMG_8781.JPG

IMG_8783.JPG

IMG_8784.JPG

IMG_8785.JPG

IMG_8786.JPG

PM sent

Too bad the car is long gone. I could have used some other stuff from it.

I will need the stainless strips that go on the tailgate but maybe I can find someone to make those?????

I am not sure if the missing parts were ever with the car or were removed and lost.

Joe

Edited by Joe Cocuzza (see edit history)

Just Google Mapped it and the area is no longer "woods" it's totally built up. That poor Packard is probably plowed under. Cancel the field trip! Oh well, at least the tail light survives!

Auburnseeker,

I saw in another post that you are having computer problems.

I just wanted to find out if the PM's I sent you about the Packard light were received.

I haven't heard back from you about it.

Hope you can clear up the computer issues. You may need to reload the OS and lose everything....hopefully not

Thanks, Joe

It looks like a go for this Saturday to pick up the car. The only down side is it is going to be the coldest (to date) day of the year. The up side is no snow or rain.

I am very anxious to get it home and see it in the open.

I have pretty much found all of the missing parts (special thanks to Auburnseeker).

I will post more pictures as soon as I get the beast home.

Joe

19 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Post some more photos when you get it home.  I'll get the light boxed up by the weekend.  With the weather turning I'm trying to get everything crammed in my unfinished shop before the worst gets here. 

I will post more pics ASAP.

Thanks again about the light and I know how it can be moving stuff around.

As stated in my first thread about this car, it has regular sedan doors on it and there is woodgrain (looks factory) applied to them.

The drivers side doors have wood on them but it is screwed on from the outside. I know this is nowhere near original. But I do have the original doors plus 3 more for it. When I get it home I can really take a look at what is going on with the doors.

I just wanted to put this info out there so when I do post more pics I don't get "beat up" by everyone telling me that the car is not as it was originally, etc......

I know that and I aim to correct it. The way it is now is the way I bought it.

Joe

Okay, I got the Packard home today. Because the weather was looking threatening my son and I were forced to get it into the shed ASAP. Hence the crummy pictures.

As you can see the wood on the doors is attached in a "non-original" fashion. On the passenger side there is no wood attached except around the window frames. Someone took regular sedan doors and attached this wood to them. As I said before I have the 4 original doors plus 3 extra station sedan ones. When the weather gets nice again (March - April) I will try to get it started and go from there.

I do have the upper and lower tailgate sections and I am planning on making them my winter project. I am taking them to the basement where I will sand and varnish them.

As is the case with most of these cars the trunk pan area is rotted. This was due to there being no rain gutter over the rear tailgate. So water leaked into the trunk area (even when the cars were new) and the sheetmetal didn't fair too well. But great news. Today I received the new trunk floor pan I ordered.

Joe

DSCF4838.JPG

DSCF4844.JPG

DSCF4839.JPG

DSCF4840.JPG

DSCF4841.JPG

DSCF4842.JPG

DSCF4843.JPG

I still find it hard to believe that interior is so nice.  It looks original.  Has it been redone?  I'm thinking not by the condition of all the woodgraining inside.  If it was redone,  looks like a very nice OEM looking job. 

I have your light right here on the desk.  I'm hoping to get it boxed up tomorrow.   I've been trying to wrap up my outside work today before the snow hits. 

Hi

Nice rare restoration project.  If you haven't already, buy yourself a copy of Robert J Neal's book "Packard 1948 to 1950".  Its available through the Packard Club website.  Mr. Neal covers these car extensively as he does all other facets of that period in Packard history.

Steve

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:27 PM, auburnseeker said:

I still find it hard to believe that interior is so nice.  It looks original.  Has it been redone?  I'm thinking not by the condition of all the woodgraining inside.  If it was redone,  looks like a very nice OEM looking job. 

I have your light right here on the desk.  I'm hoping to get it boxed up tomorrow.   I've been trying to wrap up my outside work today before the snow hits. 

I believe it is the original interior . Everything else looks original - floormats, dash, etc.

I am anxiously waiting for the light, too.

I understand about the weather. We are getting snow as I type this.

Thanks, Joe

8 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Hi

Nice rare restoration project.  If you haven't already, buy yourself a copy of Robert J Neal's book "Packard 1948 to 1950".  Its available through the Packard Club website.  Mr. Neal covers these car extensively as he does all other facets of that period in Packard history.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion on the book. That was one of the first things I ordered and I read up on these cars. Now that I have it home I am going to look at all the #'s and see what it is all about.

Thanks, Joe

13 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Looks like you bought a really nice solid car. Congratulations and keep us posted on your progress!

I will keep up on my progress - as slow as it may be.

Thanks to all for the compliments about the car. It is needy but not that bad.

Hopefully I can get it up and running in the spring. I did drain the old gas out of the tank.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I got the license plate light today from Auburnseeker. I want to thank him for selling it to me as that was the last missing part I needed to complete the car.

I have not been able to do anything to the car lately - work is getting in the way.

But maybe soon I will be able to get to it.

Joe