It was built in 1963 and its got a supercharged V8 but what is it?

Guest Richard Gallatin

In an interesting bit of automotive trivia, I believe there were no Avantis actually BUILT in 1964. 

The Studebaker management advised all dealers that, starting either September or October 1st, 1963 (depending on source you read), all remaining Avantis in inventory would be sold as 1964 models. 

This has led to quite a bit of confusion over the years, as a dealer could have a very early Avanti unsold on the lot, and yet when sold late in 1963 or early 1964, it would have been titled as a 1964.

2 minutes ago, Richard Gallatin said:

So . . .  Should the Avanti qualify as a "Muscle Car" or not?

Good question! are you asking for AACA class judging or just in general? Because that muscle car class is real HEAVY! I have a car that really should be considered but I am glad it is not for that reason. 

On the link to the fact sheet put up I was impressed by the disc brakes on the Avanti, I never realized it, I remember working on a Rambler Marlin 20 years ago in my friend's shop and that too had factory disc brakes

There are a couple of 1963 or 4 supercharged Studebaker Larks that do well at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Races. They call them the Plain Brown Wrapper and the Studebaker Tomato. Ted Harbitt has driven one or both of them for a number of years. Bob Palma usually writes up the events for Turning Wheels, the Studebaker Drivers Club magazine. They have regularly beaten Yenko somethings, Plymouths? Dodge 390/440s etc..

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Here's an Avanti II that I bought a few years ago. It is a 1972 and the round lights must have appealed to Newman & Altman. I probably should have kept it, but the previous owner had destroyed the gelcoat and things were getting "hairy".

g 004.jpg

It certainly left in style, though.

A 005.jpg

I wouldn't call one a muscle car. It didn't fit the "cheap model big engine" format of the time. The first one I saw in person was at the park in downtown Watkins Glenn at the concours held for 1963 Grand Prix. Then, as now it is more of a styling oddity.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I can appreciate the Avanti (couple of people I knew had them) but for me a Golden Hawk GT ranks right behind a Facel-Vega HK-500. Probably never find either since would have to have a manual trans, disk brakes, and AC.

As far as being a "Muscle Car" would say it was more of a Pony Car. Sporty two door with a back seat suitable for legless children & 350 cid max. (used to know the R's but AFAIR was 289 na, 305 na, 289 boosted, 305 boosted, and forget what the R5 was.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Here's what an R5 engine looks like, if anyone hasn't seen one...two superchargers, fuel injection, lots of other modifications,  put together by the Granatelli's in the 1960's......for powering the "Duo Cento"  Avanti, to go over 200 miles per hour....a pile of parts was bought from the Granatelli's by a friend of mine, which enabled him to put this engine together....The Duo Cento car still exists, but I believe it does not have an R5 in it at this time.....

R5 Studebaker engine.jpg