1949 Kaiser-Frazer 4-door

Guest darkfader

I've had a small antiques and collectibles business for the last twenty years or so.  Oft times I am asked to give pricing help to people who have a collection of items they are looking to sell.  The hardest part of this effort is trying to tell them the items they have may not be the gold mine they think it is.  Between condition issues, changes in the marketplace and urban lore about prices received at some long ago sale lots of people think you are not being truthful about values.  Old or old and rare should make it valuable, right?  They forget or ignore it also has to be desirable in the market.  

Unfortunately the the car that started this thread lacks desire in the marketplace and the owner did not want to hear that.

Terry

14 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Unfortunately the the car that started this thread lacks desire in the marketplace and the owner did not want to hear that.

In a way, I see that as a plus.

The overlooked cars are infrequently seen at shows,

and that makes them more interesting when they do appear.

And, like that totally restored Kaiser for $16,500 shown on this thread,

they make the hobby affordable.

Our hobby takes some money to buy and maintain cars--

but thankfully it DOESN'T HAVE TO take a lot of it!

I agree John, it's great for the strength of the hobby that we can find really good cars at affordable prices.  I have seen some here lately on this website that are good cars at very fair prices.   It's just in some novice seller's eyes the car they just bought for $2k will be worth 10 times that when they wash it and put it up for sale as some rare barn find.

Terry

Automotive history includes a lot more than just Mustangs and Camaros and it is immensely richer if owners and spectators can enjoy something beyond the same-old same-old.  That does not make the Frazer a valuable "flip" but it does mean a buyer can get lots of old car enjoyment for the dollar, Todd C

A Frazer as a flip is not a fast return on investment, unless you just happen to know a Frazer that doesn't have one. For the OP's car to flip today for what he was hoping, it would have to be seen by one of the great grand kids that wanted one and wanted to do it himself.  

That doesn't mean that this OP couldn't turn this one into a very nice Sunday driver with some sweat equity, for a reasonable sum of money and keep it until it became valuable. I remember looking at an Edsel station wagon back in the late 70's and the same car again in 2002 for a couple hundred dollars more, with ten thousand more miles on the clock. The guy that bought it back in the 70's took good care of it and enjoyed owning the car for years. If the guy who bought it in 02 was as good a caretaker as the last owner, the car is now worth at least 10 times what he paid. Back in 02 nobody thought a car that had been laughed at for 40 years would become a valuable collectable, almost overnight. I sure didn't.

9 minutes ago, Imperial62 said:

I apologize to the original poster for making him upset.  I was trying to provide more background information rather than market value.

Jake, you don't need to apologize!  Your posting was

one of the most informative in this entire sequence.

And you told the truth with tact and aplomb.

I learned the state of the Kaiser-Frazer market from it myself.

The fact is, some cars don't bring a lot of money.

They make a perfect entrance into the hobby for a 

newcomer or a young person.  

It's important to tell a person what he needs to hear,

not what he wants to hear.  How else would anyone learn?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

" I am not going to drive to Realitos because someone is interested in seeing the car, but for the individual who shows me $2,000 and is willing to make a trip down there on a Saturday morning we can go pick the car up."

Orphan car from a seller with the ability of alienate them self, interesting combination.

Bernie

8 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

Damn!! I'm not really in the market for a car, right now, but I'd have jumped on that for 675 bucks without a second thought. My Jr high metal shop teacher had a Dragon. I always thought it was cool. Spiff it up, a bit, and drive it every day

Not big demand in NE..   That is how we got all our cars.. They heard of a guy that would buy them... 

I found this on line:

Kaiser for sale : This was a rusty one... Not a kaiser guy - 

Some parts are worth more than the car..  Some one paid 400 for a kaiser car.. It had power steering.. 2K part..

What will Happen If you buy this car? Glad you asked. . ..

******************WARNING*****************

1. You Might grow more chest hair.
2. You may Be Homeless.
4. You can always tear it apart and have some fun. Please get a testnus shot before touching it.
5. You may be taking a job at the lumber mill to help fix it.
6. Your car carries five kegs. (Six If you want to tie one on the roof)
7. The smell of wet dog in the interior.
9. All trash included as well as a good Am factory radio. Not sure if it works but if you buy today I can give you a cassette player with an Elton John tape.
10. This car could possibly get you in Big trouble with the wife and any local neighbor. Possibly Zoning commision.
11. Great Father and Son project LOL
12. Probably a Numbers matching if you could read the rusty tags.

Put your GPS back in your man purse dude it Don't run and I don't know Jack S--- about it so no questions. Bring me cash and drag this POS out of my way. also I'm not helping load it and I may laugh the whole time you do.

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On 9/16/2016 at 10:44 AM, mike6024 said:

Here's the link - http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/5749102989.html

http://www.facebook.com/groups/135727959833429/permalink/1259690610770486/?sale_post_id=1259690610770486

For Sale, $995 OBO Rusty, Non Running POS 1950's Kaiser Manhattan (kINGSPORT) 

We sold them for 250. 650.. just to walk away from them..If do not have the time to pull the parts..