1920's Themed Wedding - Matching Car Needed for the Day

MemoryLane

Any owners of 1920's era classic car looking to participate in a formal wedding at The Hempstead House in Long Island NY late August. The couple is appropriately planning a 1920's themed wedding at this fabulous old castle like estate that was the inspiration for F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby .

All expenses of driver and rental fees covered.

Thanks

a_time

• Like 1

A friend did a wedding and was taken to court by the bride who was suing him for $3,000. The cost of her dress as she clamed that is where she got grease on it from. She did not win but he still had lawyer fees to pay. Know one that I know rents their car out unless it is for a movie set because of liability's.  May be different where you are. 

Joe brings up a good point. One gentleman I know had his insurance cancelled because he told his agent that he sometimes made a "quick buck" by renting his car for weddings. Be careful!

3 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

...No one that I know rents their car out unless it is for a movie set because of liabilities.  May be different where you are. 

Joe, thankfully it's very different where I am.

Club members drive brides and grooms routinely.

Don't let one bad example, or one bad lawyer,

ruin your lifetime experience with cars.  Sharing our

cars with the public--children and brides and

interested teenagers and curious onlookers--is what we're all about.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I continue to think that there's a good business opportunity here for an enterprising hobbyist. I must get 3-4 calls a week from young brides looking for a cool old car for their big day, and it's not unique to my area. You could get a reasonably-priced big sedan like one of those I've shown below, any one of which would be appropriate for wedding work and are all priced low enough that they could pay for themselves in 2-4 years. Reasonably fast and reliable, dramatic to look at, comfortable, and big enough inside for a big, poofy dress. The '53 even has working factory A/C! I bet you could charge $150/hour for such a service, with a minimum of 4 hours per outing. Do that every Saturday night, a few Fridays, a few Sundays, and suddenly you're talking about a good deal of money.

Think about it...

$_571.jpg001.JPG007.JPGDSC_8654a.jpg

Matt,

We have a couple of local limo companies that have antique cars among their fleet. The problem for an individual wanting to start a small business to fill this niche is the cost of insurance. Many years ago it would have been an easy small business to get into.  With today's propensity for litigation the cost of insurance for such an operation would prevent most of us from getting into this as a sideline business. 

How about an Uber driver who becomes known for

his antique-car transportation?  Clearly Uber is working,

paying sufficiently well after deducting insurance and other

expenses.  So there must be a way to make a similar

antique-car conveyance work.  Matt Harwood has a good idea!

Of course, original poster Memory Lane is just looking

for a willing hobbyist, so I hope he finds one.

I do this here in Australia for a living. However, it is like any other business - doing the weddings is the easy part, getting the business and working with the cash flow is where the challenges are. The red tape that I needed to cut through just to be legal was crazy. But I would highly recommend you are fully legal and insured, those nice brides can turn into bride-zillas very quickly. To be legal here in Australia costs about $5k per year before any business or running cost of the vehicle. You must have amazing pictures to lure the brides.

http://www.roaringtwenties.net.au

untitled-193-Edit.jpg

Picnic 1a.jpg

untitled-41.jpg

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Joe, thankfully it's very different where I am.

Club members drive brides and grooms routinely.

Don't let one bad example, or one bad lawyer,

ruin your lifetime experience with cars.  Sharing our

cars with the public--children and brides and

interested teenagers and curious onlookers--is what we're all about.

I am not saying you can not do it but you can not accept money for your service. You have to do it for free and for a friend or relative.

Chauffer's license and insurance. Like a taxi.

There is a huge market in my area for wine tours, We see lots of limos on the weekends as there must be several hundred wineries within 50 miles of here.

I keep thinking that I should buy a trolley or maybe a double decker bus.

Oh wait, I like retirement !!!!!   Maybe I should have a glass of wine instead.