MY 1925 MILLER BUICK POWERED RACE CAR MODEL

smithbrother

Saturday morning the Woodworker magazine will video and  interview me for the third upcoming ADVENTURES IN WOOD contest.

My large scale model required over 1100 hours, and took 11+ months.  Built from scratch, walnut and copper without any plans, drawings, not a kit, I wing all my art pieces.  I never build more than one of any piece.  

Last year I was lucky enough to win my class, and best of show.  It's a juried show,

If someone would be so kind as to post pictures for me, I would be most THANKFUL.  I would need an E-address.

It's a 1/5th scale, 30" long, solid walnut and copper, powered by Buick Straight Eight, honoring my father that was with Buick for nearly 60 years.   I like large scale models, they stand so PROUD.

Dale in Indy

• Like 4

Thank You Barney for the kind words.

Barney and his brother stopped in our home for a visit a while back, and Sharon and I really enjoyed their visit. 

I sent 4-pictures to Fitty Fo, aka Mr. Earl/Lamar, and I THANK him for doing this for me.

I kid HARD, but be advised, I like this site, and respect so many of the members.  Lots of very sharp BUICK people post here, even the one with a VISOR.  

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I'd say they're 2" squares.  In his opening post, he says the model is 1/5th scale and 30" long.  I count 15 squares along the length of the model. :D

somebody needs to put a dishpan over you, you're so bright:lol:

• Like 3

Yep, 2" squares.  Oak, half not stained, half special walnut stain. 

Everyone that has seen it has commented, IT IS MUCH LARGER THAN I EXPECTED.

I have a 20" square box full of FAILURES.   In the filming of the video this coming Saturday, I have been asked to POUR the contents into an empty box to show the dozens of pieces that didn't work.  

This is my second Buick inspired piece, the other is the 1946 DETROIT FLOAT where Buick introduced the 46 Car.  That piece is 24" long.

For my next piece I'm considering the 1917 GOLDEN SUBMARINE race car that Barney Oldfield drove.  It will be a tad larger, a 1/4th. scale, or 36" long. It will be walnut and copper also. With that said, I may switch to the 1910 BUICK BUG car, I like it a ton also.

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smithbrother said:

For my next piece I'm considering the 1917 GOLDEN SUBMARINE race car that Barney Oldfield drove.  It will be a tad larger, a 1/4th. scale, or 36" long. It will be walnut and copper also. With that said, I may switch to the 1910 BUICK BUG car, I like it a ton also.

Dale in Indy

My vote is for the Buick. That said, I've been married long enough to know my vote doesn't mean much...it and a couple bucks will buy you a cup of coffee. 

• Like 3

I DO respect every ones opinions on car designs, with that said, I have never been a fan of the Roadmaster swooping rear roof line.  I like the Special, Century roof much better. 

I would give a lot to have my Fitty Fo Century back, the dark blue, the nice stance, coupled with the subtle scallops, well,,,,,,,it was a cool car.  We were married in it.

The Buick Bug of 1910 is a very interesting piece, FOR SURE!  Making it at 1/4 scale, will really make it stand, OH SO PROUD.  I need to come up with the wheel base, length, width, and tread so I can go to work.  Google here I come. 

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

Dale, my vote is for the Bug also.  The racer in these photos is downright awesome.  If you were to build the Bug and paint it Red and have the Ram's Head like on the real thing on there, that would be more than some of us could stand.  You couldn't put any scallops on it though - it would have to be like the original.  Barbara and I would make the trip to Indy just to see that in person.  Good on ya!  We hope you win an award for this one - your work deserves it!

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah Kansas

• Like 1

I am building the BUICK BUG, 1/4th. scale.  Should be approx. 36-38" long, I love dim dare large scale pieces.  I will paint RED, and do all I can to clone.  I promise to learn how to post pic's, so will give routine build pictures, won't be a kit, scratch built, one only, NOT FOR SALE, family won't let me, Lol.  

I have a note to the Sloan Museum, hoping to get some measurements, and maybe even some drawings.  I also sent a note to SHADE TREE, as he was doing free work for them. 

I will even drive to Flint in my 41 Limited if hey have one on display.

A few years ago I did visit the museum, someone saw my Limited in the parking lot, told the manager, he found the BRIDE and I in looking around, and we had a nice talk.  He said he had a 41 Limited in the basement, and would be happy to take us on a basement tour, NEEDLESS to say we said, YES, YES.  Very interesting tour, and the last I heard they have not restored their Limited, still in the basement.

Thanks to ALL for the kind words.  I had to take my Buick inspired 1925 model in for 'prejudging' yesterday morning.  When I removed the covering, two of the art people said,  OH MY GOD, OH MY.  I was interviewed, and a video made, don't know what will come of it, but if possible will post.  Then you get to see this ole soon to be 80 year old Buick guy, ME. Several people in the room asked it they could take pictures, SURE!

I have changed the base it sits on, sent pic's to Mr. Earl, aka FITTY FO guy, maybe he will post for me.   He's such a NICE CHAP, maybe,,,,,the new base is very simple, and puts the car as the focus.

Dale in Indy

• Like 2

Really neat.....even on a period "board" track.

Pretty sure the Bug is at the Heritage in Flint, pack up the bride and take a day trip up there.

I will be coming thru Indiana after the Allentown meet.  Maybe we can work in lunch one day.

Thanks LAMAR,  YOU is the man!

Viewers, NOTE,,, the 1936 Buick grill script on the hood.  Years ago on Ebay when prices were CHEAP, I purchased 4 of dim dare grill pieces, and have made arty pieces out of such.  Had one left, so since this is a Buick powered, Straight Eight, well I bent it, and put it to GOOD use.  

Dale in Indy

P. S. I like the barn siding MUCH better tooooooooooooooo, puts the Buick in focus, not the base, IMHO, which means NOTHING, NOTHING.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Really neat.....even on a period "board" track.

Pretty sure the Bug is at the Heritage in Flint, pack up the bride and take a day trip up there.

I will be coming thru Indiana after the Allentown meet.  Maybe we can work in lunch one day.

Not to be picky, but in Flint it is the Sloan Museum/ Buick Gallery.

In Warren by the GM Tech Center it is the GM Heritage Center.

If you want to meet up, we can have lunch in Flint and drink the water.  :) 

We could also visit the Flint Wagon Works wagon that was in the Bugle article and see that part of history. 

Larry, after I hear from Sloan/Buick Gallery I will holler with you, I would like to meet up with YOU,  I'll bring my OWN WATER, THANK YOU.  hehe

I will have at least a couple of my models with me.  Will be driving my 41 Modified Limited, will hide if you don't want to see, Lol.  It truly LOVES 80 MPH. 

Dale in Indy  

Dale, after you finish the Bug, maybe you might want to consider doing a scale version of the Flint Wagon Works wagon.  That would be something that General Motors might want to put on display in the Durant office building.  I have heard you talk about your scale models on the forums for quite some time but had never seen any photos of just what you do.  I was absolutely blown away when I saw these photos.  I was told at a very young age that talent is something that a person is born with and a skill is something that a person learns with time and practice.  It is very evident that you have these two traits down solid.  I am in awe of your abilities to use your hands.  Might we all ask of you what you did for a living besides riding around in new Buicks for fun?

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Thanks for the kind words.

I married in 1960, NO JOB, answered an ad for counter clerk with Tractor Supply.  Being I enjoyed automotive parts, I applied.  I was hired, then let go 60 days later, but they said, we have talked to the farm store across the street, and they will hire you.  Tractor had an order from the office to let one person go in each of the 119 stores. 

I was going to summer camp for the Army then next week, so new employer said, START AFTER THAT.  While at camp I received a post card, SAID DON'T GO TO NEW EMPLOYER, COME IN TO TRACTOR SUPPLY.  I went in, and VP from Chicago interviewed me for manager training.  That lead to my moving my family 8 times to 8 different cities over the next 15 years, and I worked my way up to one of the six top level employees.   Great company.  Had I stayed on I would be worth millions, but that's life, no regrets.

In late 1975 I cashed in my stock options, opened a new True Value Hardware store.  During the years after that we opened 3 Ryder truck agencies, 3 Avis Rent A Car agencies.  At one time we had 7 businesses going at the same time.  One by one we sold them off, and in 2006 sold the largest Avis Agency in the country back to Avis corp, and retired. 

I had NO art training, actually I don't consider myself an artist, I say, I'M ARTY.  My family says, I'M A MAKER.  I do feel though that I have a decent feel for proportions, and a huge amount of drive, failure is something I learn from, it does NOT bother me to fail.  

My bride of 55+ years is my best friend, Sharon is a wonderful wife.  she is arty too, so we like the same things.  Our home is very contemporary, I have made many of the items used in our home.  My bride is a clean/neat person, she keeps me in line, hehe.  With my arty pieces I tend to pile pieces up in different spots, she will say, DALE, TIME TO CLEAN UP YOUR PILES,  it's a family joke. but they ask me to make stuff for them OFTEN.  hehe

I plan on grouping several arty pieces together in the next few days and will post, PLEASE don't think I'm a bragging, I just love to make things.  

Dale in Indy 

P.S.  YES, being brought up in a Buick dealership had tons of advantages.  As a teenager I had the pick of the used car lot for dates. ROADMASTERS were my choice, until the 53-54 Skylarks.  I wrecked our 54, NOT a nice day.  I laugh now, but not then. I had a very understanding father, I was his buddy.  He was a TRUE BUICK man., nearly 60 years with Buick.  He said, "IF YOU DON'T DRIVE A BUICK, YOU ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH", then laugh. 

Dale in Indy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smithbrother said:

Larry, after I hear from Sloan/Buick Gallery I will holler with you, I would like to meet up with YOU,  I'll bring my OWN WATER, THANK YOU.  hehe

I will have at least a couple of my models with me.  Will be driving my 41 Modified Limited, will hide if you don't want to see, Lol.  It truly LOVES 80 MPH. 

Dale in Indy  

To Dale and anyone else,

If you do take a detour north into Michigan and Flint,  I would like to meet up with any of you.  Could show you my workshop just south of Flint where I work on the trucks in the winter.  I live just east of Pontiac about 40 miles south of Flint.  Give me a call.

As for the water, highly overblown.  There has been a problem, but everything that I have read NOT IN THE GENERAL MEDIA it is very localized.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Dale, I'm going to be over at the Sloan Museum-Buick Gallery tomorrow for some other business, and I could take some measurements and photo's if you like.  Just let me know what you need.  I was there last week, and the Bug is on display now.

Dave

• Like 2

Dave,

Well, that would be WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL,

I need close up shots of the front suspension, as well as the back.  Head on, and 3/4 shots.

Regarding dimensions, these would be of great help.   Overall length, wheel base, total height of body from floor, tire height, are front and rear different?, approx.tire width, body width, floor clearance approx.

What would really be nice is if they have (DRAWINGS) of the car, and pictures of body OFF FRAME.   If it was restored OFF SITE, maybe they would share the folks that did such, and I could contact them.  I just need HELP to get this car BUILT.  I will work on it everyday, just like my other models, I don't ever start and then quit, period.

I don't expect you to spend 'valuable' time on this, but any info will be of help.  I sent them a letter, and they will probably get in a day or so.  I introduced myself, and asked for their HELP.  

Tell them, my model will be 1/4th scale, so in the area of 36-38" long, NOT THE NORMAL SMALL SCALE.

If it doesn't work out and you can't do some of this, PLEASE DON'T FRET, I'm am understanding guy.

Dale in Indy

I was helping the staff at Hiway 61 try to make a 1/25th scale model 63 Riviera from the 64 they had produced. (The 63 was a no-go because they didn't generate enough pre-sales to dealers.) For details on my 63, they had me take a yard stick and black out every other inch.  I would lay that next to whatever I was photographing and take my pictures.   They would then scale down using 1/25th of what was in my picture.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Dale, I know the Museum staff quite well and I don't think there will be any problems getting the measurements.  Ed's idea of the yard stick sounds good, I may try something like that in some of the photo's.  The Bug was sent out to be restored several years ago (maybe 15 years or so) and actually a new body was made. (The old one was really in bad shape, but was retained by the museum for historical purposes).  There may be some photo's of the chassis during restoration. I doubt if there are any drawings of the chassis or body, but I'll check with them tomorrow.  I'll take along some photo's of your Miller to show them the kind of work that you do.  It's awesome!

Dave

Ed,

Thank You, in the past I have taken a straight on side photo shot, and once I knew the overall length, I could then scale the lines, etc from that.

I then have enlarged the photo to the length I wanted, or the scale I was wanting.  In this case I want a 1/4th. scale, it will be my largest model.  So if wheel base is 100", then I will build to 25".  If length of the Buick Bug is 160". which I don't know to be fact, then the model will be 40".

I am excited about this build, it will be my FIRST all 'Buick' build.  My GM FuturLiner is Buick inspired, as is the 1925 Miller.  I did build the 1946 Detroit parade Buick float, but only the float, the Buick vert riding on it is a purchased piece. 

With each of my builds, I add more detail, so wanting this to be packed full of detail. 

I THANK you ALL for your help/support.

Dale in Indy  

• Like 2

Dale, I just returned from the museum.  I took a lot of photo's and measured a lot of dimensions.  The museum staff there gave me some photo's of the Bug that they have, when the cowling was off for some engine work.  The way that the Bug is constructed, the cowling is actually the front half of the body, and comes off as one unit.  You will be able to see that in the photo's.  There are more photo's than i  can post here, so if you will PM me you mailing address, I will send you a photo CD and a list of measurements that I took. The museum staff was impressed with the photo's of your Miller that I took to show them, and wondered if you would be interested in displaying the Bug at the museum when it was finished (on loan of course).  It would look pretty neat next to the real Bug.

Once you get the photo's and measurements, you can let me know if you need something else more specific.

Dave

• Like 2

Dave,

YOU is the man!!!!!!!!

Thank You very much, and YES I would be happy to display the BUG at the museum.

As stated B4, I am going after MORE detail than any build B4,  my father is probably looking down and cheering me on, he was/is a very loyal Buick guy.

Dale in Indy

• Like 1