'64 Chevy Corvair Greenbrier De Luxe ~ Possibly listed soon ~Thoughts?

Looking for some feedback on this Greenbrier. It runs and I'm getting ready to sell it on eBay if a local buyer (friend) doesn't come through soon. He's considering making an offer on this and another Ford project combined. Currently in Tx but plan on hauling it back to Oregon to prep for ebay soon if sale doesn't go through. Any feedback on value? Straight body with one ding in the back passenger side. Clean title and no rust. Always garaged. Was driven regularly before my father's Alzheimers prevented him from driving.

More pics:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1j_Rb5rf7tySVBTaUlqblZJRU0

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I sold this pretty nice one that was mostly restored for under $12,000 last fall. I can't believe they're not more valuable, especially given how the VW vans have been rocketing up in value. We loved driving it, my kids had fun riding in back with the table setup, and even with a PowerGlide, it was reasonably peppy. But there's not much interest in projects at the low end of the scale, so I'd guess yours might be half of this one's value, maybe less. It stinks and I continue to believe that Corvairs can't be this criminally cheap forever, but their day just hasn't come yet. I'd love to have another one, but I'd never buy a project at their current values.

I might also recommend against dragging it across the country to sell it for several reasons. One, you're going to eat up a significant portion of your value just in transportation costs, and two, your eventual buyer will have an easier time getting shipping from Texas than Oregon (faster and cheaper). If you can sell it as-is, where-is, that's your key to maximizing return on this particular sale. Tell your friend to quick kicking tires and make a move or not, because now is the time to sell. It gets a lot quieter in the market in July-August-September.

Good luck!

http://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=515

007.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Hate to say it but I sold one of those in similar condition running and driving (might have been a little rougher) for eight hundred bucks a couple of years ago.

There is a guy near me that specializes in parts for those things. Corvair underground. He thinks they are gold.

Nice van Matt! I have had good luck selling cars from Oregon. I sold a Rampy recently on eBay for $17603 as well as several other cars. I travel back and forth with a car hauler anyway so transportation isn't an issue. I have lots of good people helping in Oregon. I agree it's ideal to sell in Tx but I need to head back to Oregon soon for a while.  

48 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Hate to say it but I sold one of those in similar condition running and driving (might have been a little rougher) for eight hundred bucks a couple of years ago.

There is a guy near me that specializes in parts for those things. Corvair underground. He thinks they are gold.

We must both live in McMinnville!

• Like 1

Forget what year but I had one without all the windows with a three speed manual for a while. First had issues so I put a four speed in it.

ps may be a misfiring synapse but thought the black knob meant a 3-speed and 4-speeds got a white knob.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Running and drivable - around $4500, not running/drivable - around $3500.  This is assuming (1) all the glass is good, (2) all seats are there - not concerned with condition and (3) it has a FC engine and not a car engine (they are different)

Bob

Seems very knowledgeable and experienced to need feedback. It even looks like some feedback is considered incorrect. Is this really an advertisement with no price? Just thinking, you know.

Bernie

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Seems very knowledgeable and experienced to need feedback. It even looks like some feedback is considered incorrect. Is this really an advertisement with no price? Just thinking, you know.

Bernie

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Not knowledgable, just a good researcher and lots of persistence. 

23 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

We must both live in McMinnville!

Close, I live in Newberg.

Feel free to look me up when you get up here. We can talk about old cars.

Gald you sold your van.

I will tell you the story about mine, it was on Craigs list at $2000.

I called the guy and found that it didn't run, so I passed on it.

A week or so later he called me, told me that I was the only caller and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I towed it home got it running but found it to leak quite a bit of oil.

I know some guys at the state pen and they offered to rebuild the engine for a very reasonable price so I towed it down there.

While I was dropping it off I mentioned to the processing officer that it is for sale cheap.

A couple of days later another officer called me up amd made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Quick and easy so I let it go.

Cheers.