Fuel filter location on a/c 63

Just putting back all the bits after completing a timing gear and cover replacement. 

On 63 with air conditioning, does the fuel hose from the pump come up through the bracket on to the filter?

And does the filter bracket fit under the RHS thermostat housing bolt?

And filter inlet is end with one connection, outlet has two?

And not sure where the fuel filter return hose feeds through?

Would someone with original 63 be able to please post some photos of the fuel filter and hose routing?

( I can't seem to find a good photo at the right angle to confirm all this) 

many thanks

Rodney

Yes, I did check this out last night and it refreshed the brain cells, still a photo is worth a thousand manuals! Or so they say,

tnx for your reply

Hi Bill,

thats great, any chance you have a photo where it feeds through the bracket from the front. I think I have it right but will post a photo also.

many thanks for your efforts,

appreciated.

Rodney,

My line does not go through the bracket. It just drops straight down to the fitting. My picture makes it look to be very close to the belts but, it is not. This is the way it was when purchased. Is mine correct? I don't know. 

Bill 

Bill, from what I read and saw on previous forums, The hose does go through the bracket. I read that the idea was to prevent the belts cutting the hose, as they can whip around. I allowed plenty to get it free of any brackets but short enough to keep it out of the belt path.

And one member mentioned the word FIRE if it cut the fuel line.

Perhaps some of the other guys with A/C on 63 might chime in with some pics and expertise. 

See what transpires,

kind regards

Rodney

52 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Bill, from what I read and saw on previous forums, The hose does go through the bracket. I read that the idea was to prevent the belts cutting the hose, as they can whip around. I allowed plenty to get it free of any brackets but short enough to keep it out of the belt path.

And one member mentioned the word FIRE if it cut the fuel line.

Perhaps some of the other guys with A/C on 63 might chime in with some pics and expertise. 

See what transpires,

kind regards

Rodney

Rodney,

That certainly makes sense and has crossed my mind. I will be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Bill

3 hours ago, telriv said:

The bracket holding the filter to the thermostat housing is NOT correct.

Ditto.

The correct bracket will move the fuel line away from the water crossover.  Can anyone say 'vapor lock?'

Don't you just love it when a new can of worms is opened, and you've still got worms from the first can out running around.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Add to Ed's comment: However you route it, keep the lines and the canister filter from leaning on anything hot for fire danger and off even relatively cool items under the hood to avoid chaffing, leakage and fire. It may not be stock, but a steel line routed from carb below the block is probably the safest. PRL

• Like 1

My 63 was an original A/C car. These two pics show the original fuel filter bracket and the hose setup when I was done. I duplicated the hose setup that the car had when I got it but I'm not sure if that was factory. There was no risk of the belts touching the hoses.

DSCF1513.JPG

DSCF1942.JPG

Ok, so my bracket is original and correct. Let's see what other pics bring re the correct hose route. I know when I removed mine it was through the bracket, hence my questioning.

thanks for your input,

Rodney

8 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

My 63 was an original A/C car. These two pics show the original fuel filter bracket and the hose setup when I was done. I duplicated the hose setup that the car had when I got it but I'm not sure if that was factory. There was no risk of the belts touching the hoses.

DSCF1513.JPG

DSCF1942.JPG

Thanks for the pictures. I will add this to my to get list.

Bill

Upon closer inspection of my fuel filter bracket it does appear that it is the correct one. It looks as if somewhere in the past it was bent/twisted back so that the filter lays flatter. I am guessing it was done so that it was a straighter shot to the carb for the fuel line instead of up and under as shown above. Is the bracket placement and routing of the fuel line correct in the above pictures? If not, going back to the original question of the thread how should the line be routed to the fuel pump? Thanks.

Bill

Rodney,

I finally found a picture of a correct fuel filter bracket for a '63 - '65.  I found this on Russ Martin's "nailhead buick[" website. This one does not have the screw that pulls the halves together to tighten the bracket against the filter.

Ed

1963-1965 401-425 fuel filter bracket.. Call

Ed,

I believe what you are saying. It is very puzzling though. The thread above by Tex Riv_63 shows his 63 engine with what he says is the original bracket, which is like mine, Rodney's and the above picture that I submitted. I have no reason to doubt him either. A fuel filter bracket just doesn't seem like a piece that would get lost and need to be replaced or a piece that someone would swap out the original with a different one. Strange.

Bill

This is a great topic, I too would love to see pictures of original '63 Riviera with A/C fuel lines.

Some questions I still have...

After the fuel pump, did the original fuel lines include any metal pipes or were they all rubber hoses?   

Were the original hoses (assuming all rubber) routed through the Alternator/AC bracket front in theory to keep them from the belts?

Was the original filter bracket attached to the water outlet with two bolts and did the bracket include a long screw to tighten the filter?

Was the original filter installed with the inlet and outlet hoses absolutely vertical or at an angle? 

Was the original filter bracket painted engine color, or was it installed afterwards and not painted or painted a different color?

Thanks in advance for any answers, Jeff

All rubber hoses

Yes

Yes

Vertical

Engine color. '63 was silver.

Glad you got the car. I know the guy who owned it back a few yrs. ago. I know it had it COMPLETELY redone. Ever go back into his garage where he had others stored???

6 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Ed,

I believe what you are saying. It is very puzzling though. The thread above by Tex Riv_63 shows his 63 engine with what he says is the original bracket, which is like mine, Rodney's and the above picture that I submitted. I have no reason to doubt him either. A fuel filter bracket just doesn't seem like a piece that would get lost and need to be replaced or a piece that someone would swap out the original with a different one. Strange.

Bill

Could this be another case of early versus late production? Car makers do running changes or changed suppliers all the time.

The 1963 Shop Manual shows a one-hole bracket on the fuel filter.  I am still trying to get documented proof that this is what Buick actually used on the cars.

I don't know what the 2-hole filter bracket was used on.

To be continued...