1956 Super-Purchase and tech questions

Wooly15

I have to do my third oil change soon (1500 miles on the motor), but what I've done is jack the car slightly off the ground and loosen the bolt so it's hanging, then unscrew the bolt by hand while holding the jar. I'd gently lower the jar vertically and then tip it over slowly until the filter slides out into the pan. You have to have steady hands, my first time doing it I sloshed the jar and oil just went everywhere...

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

On 4/11/2016 at 10:55 AM, SpecialEducation said:

Per the order sheet, Seminole Red was optional on all models and colors.  Without the build sheet for your specific car, I'm not sure how to prove which way it came, so go for it!

On the data plate the paint code for an all black car would be AAA.

A car with red wheels from the factory the three letter paint code will be followed by "-1"

Mine had black wheels from the factory. I painted them red

Edited by JamesBulldogMiller55Buick (see edit history)

On 4/17/2016 at 7:19 AM, Wooly15 said:

Gotcha. What's the best method of keep oil from going all over when initially taking out the old filter?

Don't loosen the bolt in the middle of the can.  ;)

10 hours ago, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

On the data plate the paint code for an all black car would be AAA.

A car with red wheels from the factory the three letter paint code will be followed by "-1"

Mine had black wheels from the factory. I painted them red

Ah, now that's interesting.  The order sheet shows to add the 1 for red wheels, but I didn't know that would actually show on the dataplate (we don't have a "-1" there either).

wheel 1.JPG

wheel code.JPG

Ok, I may have just bitten off more than I thought with my new exhaust. My existing exhaust is single. I purchased the earlier mentioned set of manifolds that are for dual so I thought, "hey what a good time to upgrade." I know I'll need new hangers on the driver side, but I just realized my bumper isn't correct. Anyone ever cut out the ends of the bumpers to fit the pipes? My chrome is in bad shape back there so that's not an issue. I bought the pre fab exhaust so I would assume it's made to factory specs to the bumper ends. Other than that and hangers, any other issues I should be ready for?

Adam

Find a different rear bumper.  The exhaust tips for the duals are actually attached to the bumper brackets, and are not easy to find. There is a second set of tips that are factory authorized and roughly resemble the correct tips.  I think they were actually made for the single exhaust cars as the others would have come with the aforementioned tips. The 2nd set clamps to the exhaust pipes themselves.  These are easier to find but still getting scarce.

Make sure you get a bumper from a Super or Roadmaster.  The Special and Century do not fit your car. 

I was afraid you'd say that. I really didn't want to have to buy another bumper. I may (temporarily) get creative with turn downs to avoid a new one for now. 

Ok, need some tire advice...I know these are bigger than stock, but someone local has a set of L78-15 whitewall bias ply tires for sale that are a really good deal. I believe that is the equivalent of 235's in radials. Has anyone ever run that size tire without rubbing? I need new tires and it's hard to pass these up.

Edited by Wooly15 (see edit history)

Right now I run 235s from the junkyard to get the vehicle moving, they were a steal and I had them leak tested by firestone.  They only rub when lock to lock and going over a curb simultaneously.

As for your bumper, you can always cut the exhaust short and clamp tips that point down behind the bumper. 

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

The L78's may be wider.  They were a wide flat top design from the early 1970's.  They will rub on the smaller series but may be ok for your Super.  On any tire new or used check the date code...if over 5 years old they are not worth the price of mounting (some tire shops will not touch them if that old).

I just put new Coker L78s on the back of my 51. They are BIG. Tread not as wide as the radials, I don't think. They might not rub if mounted on the front, but are a damn tight fit to get up in the rear fender of my car. In fact, I deflated to get em on. I don't care, but I'll carry a thin tire for a spare for sure. To me, these big bias ply tires look perfect.

The tires that the prior owner had on are 235/75R15 radials rear and bias ply Goodyear 8.20-15 up front. They don't seem to rub. Don't worry, I'm only driving around the nighborhood with that setup until I get my permanent tires in.  He apparently drove around all over the place like thatand I'm surprise he  never put it in a ditch.

image.jpeg