1956 Super-Purchase and tech questions

Wooly15

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some purchase advice on a 1956 Buick Super (automatic) I'm interested in. Overall it is decent shape but my only concern is reverse gear. In order to reverse, you have to hold the shifter in reverse, it does not stay there. It shifts in forward gears smoothly with no issues. Is this normal of the dynaflow? If this is indicative of a linkage adjustment, I'm not concerned. If it's a sign of it going out all together, it's a deal breaker.  I know older cars have funny features like the accelator start, just wasnt sure if holding it in reverse was also. Sorry, new to Buicks, I'm accustomed to 60's fords.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Edited by MrEarl
edit title (see edit history)
  • Like 1

No, that is not correct.  But the fix may require some additional work.

Often the transmission mount needs to be replaced to get the rear of the trans in alignment again. Most folks also change the motor mounts at the same time so the entire package is at proper height and alignment.  Then if it does not stay in reverse, you would need to make linkage adjustments.

The most important part is that it goes into reverse.  If you are new to Buicks let me warn you.  The trans is very reliable, and will last for a long time.  but reverse gear band is held in place internally by a strut rod.  If the engine is racing or if the trans is yanked abruptly into reverse by accident, that strut rod can drop out of place.  In some cases the pan can be dropped and the rod put back in without pulling the trans out of the car.  Sometimes that's not the case.

Since the Buick has an enclosed drive shaft, the rear axle has to be pulled back to get the trans out.  It sounds way worse than it is.  Don't let that stop you, just realize that the best policy is to let the engine warm up so you can step down the cold fast idle and then you should not have any problems.

The 56 is a Super car.  There were several improvements from the 55 year, but it is also the last year of that body style.  There are many one year only parts.  But most things are still available for it from local parts stores, or internet and Buick specialty providers.  When it is returned to factory settings it is an amazing ride.  you won't feel the trans shift because it doesn't.  It has fluid drive that meets driving demands on the fly.  It still has a low gear, which seems to make people think in drive it's not working right, but if you are not drag racing, you will find it is more than adequate power and performance.

• Like 2

Feel free to start a me and my Buick thread, and post some pictures.  I would love to see your new to you car.  You might consider joining the Buick Club too.  Lots of resources in the club magazine.

• Like 1

Most likely it's motor and/or transmission mount problems which cause linkage problems. Replacing the mounts is not a difficult or expensive project. Adjusting the linkage may fix the reverse situation but there still may be the underlying mount problems.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was thinking both the transmission and motor mounts need to be checked. Buicks aren't as bad as a Cadillac, though. With an open driveshaft like a Caddy you can get the imprint of the fan in the radiator on a hard stop.

On that internal reverse strut, it was a common $90 repair in the mid 1960's. The flat rate guys would disconnect the shocks and jack the axle back with a Port-A-Power to access the tailshaft housing and strut; just kinda sproing it back.

Bernie

Thanks for all of the help guys, I brought the "boat" home today. The transmission will occasionally stay in reverse but it seems best to hold it there so it doesn't slip into Low. Looks like I will be starting a me and my Buick post!

• Like 4

Nice looking car !  I just painted my wheel rims red on my all black 55 Roadmaster Rivera Hardtop Coupe - made a huge difference (actually the whitewalls over it's current black made the most difference, though the red is a nice accent).  The all all Black is very elegant though.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

4 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Nice looking car !  I just painted my wheel rims red on my all black 55 Roadmaster Rivera Hardtop Coupe - made a huge difference (actually the whitewalls over it's current black made the most difference, though the red is a nice accent).  The all all Black is very elegant though.  

Agree.  At the moment our wheels are black as well, but that splash of Seminole Red can sure make those wheel assemblies look sharp.  Ours had obvious traces of red when we got it, so we think it probably came with red felloes when new.

How about a photo, Mr. Mereness?  I'd like to see what yours look like!

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

I guess I will just make this my official build thread, no sense in spamming the board with another post.  First thing I need to other than mechanics are seat covers.  The front is through to the foam.  Someone, at some point put very nice fitting covers on it, that were so well fitting, I didn't notice they were even there.  Anyone know who sells ones today that are as good of a fit.  Bench seats, front and rear.

lol..  No, an electric choke would not be original.  BTW, that area where you have the tester wires going to would be the area where the starter switch is attached to the carb.  Does your car still have the gas pedal starter?  Turn the key on and step on the gas pedal to start the engine?

10 hours ago, Wooly15 said:

I guess I will just make this my official build thread, no sense in spamming the board with another post.  First thing I need to other than mechanics are seat covers.  The front is through to the foam.  Someone, at some point put very nice fitting covers on it, that were so well fitting, I didn't notice they were even there.  Anyone know who sells ones today that are as good of a fit.  Bench seats, front and rear.

Gorgeous black Super Adam.

I can move this thread over to the Me and My Buick forum if you'd like. that is where most members post their cars or  build projects. Easier to keep to the top and to search.This forum is used more for technical questions and advice.  Your call though.

7 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Gorgeous black Super Adam.

I can move this thread over to the Me and My Buick forum if you'd like. that is where most members post their cars or  build projects. Easier to keep to the top and to search.This forum is used more for technical questions and advice.  Your call though.

That would be great, thanks!

24 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

Maybe we need to get Speedo to make a new category for those of us who live on the darker side.  Mr. Falabella would be welcome too, of course. Yes, an area for Big Bad Black Buick Blogging!

or maybe not...

Hmmmmm    I fear that one could too easily typo that and go somewhere NSFO.  Funny though! :-)

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Secured a nice pair of exhaust manifolds today and nearly blew my elbows out polishing! That's a lot of chrome! :o A powerball is in my future! This weekend I will be flushing the chocolate milk out of the cooling system. Looks like it been a while.

Coolant flushed, new points, plugs and oil. Still needs a carb cleaning but starts and runs 100% better. When changing the oil filter element, I couldn't find the old gasket so I assumed it either fell in the catch pan or there wasn't one there. I even scraped around with a screwdriver.  First test run and oil was POURING on the ground. It was still up in there, hiding, not letting the new one seal. :angry:

So, any tips/tricks to not making a gigantic mess when changing that filter? My 61 f100 had the modern filter adapter installed before me. This is my first rodeo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wooly15 said:

Coolant flushed, new points, plugs and oil. Still needs a carb cleaning but starts and runs 100% better. When changing the oil filter element, I couldn't find the old gasket so I assumed it either fell in the catch pan or there wasn't one there. I even scraped around with a screwdriver.  First test run and oil was POURING on the ground. It was still up in there, hiding, not letting the new one seal. :angry:

So, any tips/tricks to not making a gigantic mess when changing that filter? My 61 f100 had the modern filter adapter installed before me. This is my first rodeo.

Oil will pour out if filter housing is not perfectly seated. And yes old gasket will stick. You don't want to tighten so much that you crush the gasket either. I hold the housing in place while tightening the bolt.