Need Help Finding Paint! - Garnet Red (1957)

Brandon Todd

Hello,

I went to the auto store the other day wanting to get some paint mixed for the interior of the car. My 1957 Buick has the Garnet Red/Antique Ivory exterior paint scheme, and I'm wanting to paint the "orange" parts inside the car the same color. All the auto stores around here have the code for 1957 Garnet Red in their systems, but it is always the wrong color. It comes up as a dark/Dr. Pepper purple/red color. That is what Garnet Red is considered to be today, but for 1957 it was more of a copper. 

I was wanting to ask if anyone else has had the same experience with the same color and if anyone has found a paint color that actually matches somewhere. The store is closed today, but I am going to try and take a non-faded piece of the car into them and see if they can scan it and make a "custom" color out of it that matches.

Thanks for any help!

image8.JPG

Edited by Kickin_kenny (see edit history)

I agree. Take a piece of the painted trim to a knowledgeable/reputable paint jobber and have them do a computer match. That's the closest you will ever get, considering if the paint is OEM, it has been subject to weathering and sunlight for almost sixty years. Good luck.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

matching paint is a PITA for sure. Fade and deterioration make it all the more difficult. You are right to try to find a area that is not sun bleached to match to.

Some PPG jobbers and/or shops that spray PPG have a color scanner camera (forget what its called) that may get you out of the "Doctor Pepper" range and closer to your actual color. 

Many times the actual toners for out dated paint codes are no longer available. Metallics change, materials change, what was once single stage lacquer is now only available in base coat/ clear coat and water base paint.

Try to find one of the old color chip books for your year car to give you a actual paint chip ,  I see them on eBay or at car shows a lot.

Good luck, Rick

• Like 1

Are you sure the interior color was exactly the same as the exterior? The reason I ask is the roof of my 55 is Nile green(X). After much research I figured the interior to be Glacier green, a 1952 color very close to Nile green. 

Also when you are sure try Tower paint, they will put any color code in a can.

• Like 1

A good automotive specialized paint store (there is at least one in every major city) should be able to match a piece perfectly. Insist they take it outside as a double check (I would think your gas cap door or .... ; and perhaps even a wheel, though the bigger the flat surface the better the chance you will have).  Some companies have equipment to match on the car - ie you can take the whole car in.  The problem that you are having matching from paint formulas is that the base colors now are not the same a the base colors then (ie. Black is not the same Black and ....).  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, trickrk said:

matching paint is a PITA for sure. Fade and deterioration make it all the more difficult. You are right to try to find a area that is not sun bleached to match to.

Some PPG jobbers and/or shops that spray PPG have a color scanner camera (forget what its called) that may get you out of the "Doctor Pepper" range and closer to your actual color. 

Many times the actual toners for out dated paint codes are no longer available. Metallics change, materials change, what was once single stage lacquer is now only available in base coat/ clear coat and water base paint.

Try to find one of the old color chip books for your year car to give you a actual paint chip ,  I see them on eBay or at car shows a lot.

Good luck, Rick

Thanks! Actually i just bought one yesterday off ebay! Hopefully that'll help

4 hours ago, Paul Falabella said:

Are you sure the interior color was exactly the same as the exterior? The reason I ask is the roof of my 55 is Nile green(X). After much research I figured the interior to be Glacier green, a 1952 color very close to Nile green. 

Also when you are sure try Tower paint, they will put any color code in a can.

Hey thanks for the advice! No, the interior was not exactly the exterior color. I think before it was more orange than copper, and since it is faded it is an ugly pink color. I think that metallic copper would look really cool inside though.

10 hours ago, Caballero2 said:

In the technical listings of knowledgeable '57 models listed in the Bugle, Art Wright has done several in your colors. Contac

… Also remember that a base coat / clear coat paint system will never in a 100 years match even remotely your original enamel or lacquer paint in terms of shade, hue, depth and tone. These are the top 4 "must haves" one needs in order to match a paint sample. Completely different Mars to Jupiter paint chemistry's.

Now the closest to a true acrylic lacquer for most of the 50's, would be to use a true acrylic lacquer.  Go find out where the Corvette purists Gods obtain their 400 point strict OEM correct paints tones from.  Another route would be to obtain a single stage ( catalyzed ) acrylic urethane enamel such as Duponts Nason or a PPG single stage urethane enamel.  Another option would be to use a Dupont catalyzed enamel which was the paint chemistry from mid sixties through much of the 70's .  Much of the matching will also involve how you apply the paint and flattening agent usage to mimic a little age fade if you are only painting one panel and need to match up to original other panels.  On the final coat, many painters will over reduce this last coat so they can then lightly wet sand over it to create as close as possible appearance as that of an original 

lacquer job while using an acrylic urethane single stage enamel.  …. just a few pointers and bits of info gained in my years of paint matching etc.

I was at a gas station yesterday and noticed a Ford Focus with a very striking color.  Then I realized it looked just like the 57 Buick Garnet Red!  It was about a 2008 model.  This may be available off the shelf and be quite close enough to use in your interior.