NADA--1935

broker-len

Len, can you post a few examples here?

For example, I've heard that the expensive cars

lost value quickly in that 1930's depression, since

they were expensive to maintain and there weren't 

many buyers interested in prestige cars.

How about 1929 Cadillac V-16 and 1932 Cadillac V-16?

How about a Stutz model that you choose?

I don't suppose that N.A.D.A. includes Duesenbergs, but if they do, please show us!

I don't own those cars, but I'm asking so we can all get a glimpse back into history.

early years autos lost value quickly partly because of the  quick  technology  change in the systems which left them obsolete,,,,  the book does not list motors only body styles but 29 average   $ 240.00 -------  1930     $ 540-------------no Stuts or Dusey

Edited by broker-len
misspell (see edit history)

003.JPGBroker-len; Just trying to help you answer John S

My 1933 book shows;   1932 Cadillac 16 cyl  roadster  new $4595  now $1895

1932 Lincoln   12 cyl  Brunn Conv.  new $7200  now $1735

1932 Packard  12 cyl roadster  new $4250   now$1585

1932 Pierce Arrow 12 cyl roadster  new $3900  now $1480

003.JPG

Those big old 7 passenger cars were favorites of plumbers and carpenters; may be called forerunners of the panel trucks.

For the Model T fans; the book lists the value of a 1927 @ $4 and a 1926 @salvage!  Wonder what salvage was? Maybe some coins?

'NUFF SAID ?

Thanks, Willie.  The prices for those 1932 cars in that 1933 book are very revealing.

It's astounding that those luxury cars lost 60% of their value in ONE YEAR!

The Lincoln's original price was so exorbitant that the market priced it at only one-quarter 

of its original cost after only one year.

Wouldn't you like to be around back then with some money to stash away some cars?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I would think that the on-going Depression would have had a big effect on the value of used cars in 1933, along with the rapid technological changes.  It would be interesting to see first and second year depreciation figures from a few years later when the economy was in a little better shape.  I see from the Studebaker link provided that six and seven year old cars had little value in 1936 - for example $117 for a six year old State President Seven Passenger Limo. That doesn't sound like much but needs to be compared with the cheapest new car in 1936 at about $500.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Dad told me as a young man in the late 1930s they would value old used cars based on the amount of gas in the tank. He talked about buying an early '30s Caddy Roadster for $5 because it had a nearly full tank of gas. Somewhere I have a pic of a Duesey on a used car lot in the 1940's with a price of $450 painted on the windshield.