VINTAGE HANDHELD TACHOMETER

bob duffer

it's made so that the rubber tip makes contact with the center of a shaft or bolt that's bolted in the center of a shaft (like a bolt securing the harmonic balancer to a crankshaft), and tells you what the rpm's are.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

it's made so that the rubber tip makes contact with the center of a shaft or bolt that's bolted in the center of a shaft (like a bolt securing the harmonic balancer to a crankshaft), and tells you what the rpm's are.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

That makes more sense than my guess.

As others have already said, holding the head of the tach and pressing the rubber foot into the center of rotation is the way to use it.  For years, part of my job was testing/certifying diesel engine-driven fire pumps.  We used a similar mechanism (Veeder-Root) which directly counted the number of revolutions which, when using a good stop watch, yielded the number of revolutions over a given period of time (usually 1 minute).  Although, in the telling of it, it seems like a fairly crude method, it was amazingly accurate.  The engines were usually large GMs or Cummins and had an indentation in the center of the crankshaft which would allow placement of the tachometer without too much drama. :o

Cheers,

Grog

I have a mechanical tach, probably for calibration, similar to this. It also has a 2x and a 4x diameter rubber wheels so

as to keep the rotation at a reasonable rpm. The dial is therefore marked with a few different scalings and one would readthe proper value according to which reduction. I think one could check a shaft or belt or pulley speed, as long as

he could get a good safe surface to meah against. Thanks for the tip that it works best in the center of the shaft. I should add that my tach is much larger than the one the op posted.